Serrated folder question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mjl

Serrated folder question

Post by mjl »

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Often I have wanted to buy a serrated folding knife for cutting a sandwich etc. However I only seem to be able to locate folders that have the serration on the opposite side of where the serration exists on bread knives, lunch knives, steak knives. Do folders with serration on the same side as the latter not exist?

I am left wondering if there a specific reason that the serration on folders is on the opposite side that I am unaware off.

Does someone have the definitive answer for this noob?

Thank you.
holeshot

Re: Serrated folder question

Post by holeshot »

Get a Pacific Salt serrated it's an excellent food preparation knife and much more.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I believe the official answer is that serrations are cut on the presentation side because serrations tend to wander to one side or the other when slicing because of the offset shape of the grind, and the idea is that since the majority of users are right handed, the blades will wander away from your left hand if you're holding something and cutting with your right hand. I guess this means lefties just have to not chop their fingers off lol. Personally I would rather have them cut on the back side of the blade myself so that the flat side of the blade was on my left, which would make carving and such easier. Regardless I don't think the side they're cut on is going to stop you from cutting up a sandwich.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

mjl wrote:Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Often I have wanted to buy a serrated folding knife for cutting a sandwich etc. However I only seem to be able to locate folders that have the serration on the opposite side of where the serration exists on bread knives, lunch knives, steak knives. Do folders with serration on the same side as the latter not exist?

I am left wondering if there a specific reason that the serration on folders is on the opposite side that I am unaware off.

Does someone have the definitive answer for this noob?

Thank you.
There is. Most people are right handed. When the serrations are cut on the right side (when looking down at the spine), this will make the knife "drift" from right to left during a cut and can make it more dangerous to the left hand which might be holding the matter being cut. I'm not sure if that is the only, or even the main, reason but it is a reason that has been noted here...I believe by Sal himself.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Drat, EvilD beat me to it...by seconds.
mjl

Post by mjl »

Gents, thanks for the replies.

The not straight cutting is exactly the issue. If I cut a loaf of bread then the "non-serrated", or flat, side (so to speak) is against the rest of the loaf and the flat side acts as a guide. I cannot see me using a serrated knife in any other way because the cuts will be crooked. Looks like I'll be stuck with a FFG plain blade then.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Putting the serrations on the left, which is the presentation side for right handed users, is a question of cosmetics over function. Back when Spyderco made dedicated left hand versions, the serrations on those were on the right side of the blade. However, unlike chisel grinds where most knife companies do the same thing, there's very little functional difference.

FWIW, Spyderco's serrated kitchen knives are also serrated on the left side...
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Serrated blades definitely drift when cutting. Not all. There are some knives that are serrated on both sides (rare and probably too finely toothed for heavy use) and some that are wavy edged. But most are serrated on one side only and these will drift. This drift is one reason I do not use them as it is harder to control the cut. For sandwiches the wavy edge is better. Forshner/Victorinox uses this style of blade on their kitchen knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One discovery that EVIL D made a few months back that has actually helped me when working with serrated ( Spyderedged) blades is that he noticed that serrations tend to be much better performance wise in Full Flat Grind blades.

Now my current Spyderedged EDC is my C-45 STainless RESCUE model which is a hollow grind. However I find that just simply keeping firm control over what I'm cutting seems to have it even work out OK.

If you've all noticed that the majority of Spyderco's kitchen knives are FULL FLat GRIND blades. Coincidence?? I don't think so. I believe Spyderco has been on to that trick for quite a while. I actually wish they would try making a sheepsfoot SE blade full flat grind as well as trying to do the same on one of their Spyderedged Hawkbills. I truly believe that the Spyderhawk model as good of a Hawkbill as it is would be better in FFG.
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Cool info guys, I never knew this! Though that does kind of show just how subtle of an effect it can have. I use my serrated Delica to cut food all the time, bread and sandwiches included, and I never noticed it drifting on me. On media as soft as the average kaiser roll, cold cuts, and sliced vegetables, I imagine there shouldn't be much reaction force to speak of which is likely why I've never noticed.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I have a combo edged UKPK with serrations on what I find the wrong side. I wouldn't get another serrated knife that way round, it just feels wrong when I use it.
---------
Tony S
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is basically why I've never had any love for chisel grinds, and in a similar way I've even had hollow grinds wander when cutting things.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Slumblor

Post by Slumblor »

I bought a Spyderco serrated kitchen knife a while ago, but i quickly realized that the serrations should be on the other side. I can understand the explanation of safety, but more so the aesthetics. I found that, as a right hander, it pulled the knife away from the cut and harder to slice straight. I feel it would be much more functional with the serrations cut on the opposite side.
PM2 Cruwear, PM2 S35VN, PM2 S30V, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 LW CTS-XHP, Native 5 LW S35VN, Native 5 G10 S35VN, Mantra M4, Sage 5 S30V, Chaparral CTS-XHP, Stretch Hap40, Stretch VG10, Centofante 3 VG10, Delica 4 Hap40, Delica 4 ZDP 189, Delica 4 VG10, Dragonfly 2 VG10, Ladybug 3 H1, Caly3 ZDP189, Urban LW K390
mjl

Post by mjl »

Cutting a sandwich is not too troublesome but I get annoyed when trying to cut a "French stick" (bread) lengthwise or try to cut a thick piece of nylon rope nicely square. Anyway it is good to discover that I am "normal" and not alone in my feelings. Thanks to all for your contribution.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

I've just done a couple more tests and need to back track a little. I've never found that the serrations steer the cut on any knife I've used, but I always felt that the flat side would leave a cleaner surface. However tests cutting bits off the end of some fuel hose, or foam insulation didn't really show any difference doing it right handed or left handed. So maybe it doesn't matter in reality.
---------
Tony S
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

aesmith wrote:I've just done a couple more tests and need to back track a little. I've never found that the serrations steer the cut on any knife I've used, but I always felt that the flat side would leave a cleaner surface. However tests cutting bits off the end of some fuel hose, or foam insulation didn't really show any difference doing it right handed or left handed. So maybe it doesn't matter in reality.
Try a different test. Take a stick of butter and slice off a thin slice with a chisel ground serrated knife. Then try the sam thing on the other side. You will see a difference for sure. I have two different kinds of butter knives (ground on different sides) and depending on which ones I'm using, I will slice the butter from opposite sides. A somewhat trivial example but a decent illustration of the issue.
aesmith

Post by aesmith »

Just tried cheese, if I push cut then one cut surface shows tracks from the serrations. Slicing, it doesn't really show a difference. Not sure what to conclude, other than that I wouldn't use a serrated knife to cut either butter or cheese. I suppose in food terms it's really only bread that I'd cut with a serrated blade.
---------
Tony S