Spyderhole dimensions: How important?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jabba359

Spyderhole dimensions: How important?

Post by jabba359 »

Spyderco used to publish the diameter of the spyderhole along with their other dimensions, but dropped that information from both the print and online catalogs a few years back. Is the diameter of the hole an important aspect of your knife selection? Would knowing it ahead of time impact your knife buying decisions?

Since I plan on being at the factory seconds sale next weekend, I was thinking about dropping in Friday before the SFO closes and measuring the diameter of the holes on a bunch of knives, if that's a point of information people are interested in. If so, I'll make sure to pack my caliper and an extra battery for it and do my best to get a bunch of measurements, which I will update on the Spydiewiki in the near future. If nobody cares about that info, then I may not bother.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
paladin

Re: Spyderhole dimensions: How important?

Post by paladin »

Mighty considerate of you jabba and it doesn't surprise me one bit! :)

As for myself, I generally just "eyeball" the size of the SpyderHole in the pics provided by the reseller or Spyderco. I prefer the Military / PM2 sized opening holes...but I've carried a Caly Jr. for years and its SpyderHole is pretty small...

So, in short...not a crucial factor for my purchases.

Thanks just the same and have fun at the SFO 2nds sale...you're lucky, wish I could go! :(
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's not necessarily a deal breaker for me but I like them larger where design permits. I certainly wouldn't want the Military hole to be smaller, but I can also live with the hole on the Nilakka. For me it's almost just as important to have a nice sharp edge on the hole as it is to be large. I wouldn't mind seeing the size advertised for reference though.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

I can open my DK PK one-handed, using the hole.
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

Hole size is definitely a factor for me. The oversized hole on my PM2 is the only thing keeping me from carrying it more (I know, I know, I'm a minority here). But my fingers are so small, both my middle finger and thumb can get stuck inside the hole on deployment, so I tend not to flick the blade open. I much prefer the Yojimbo size.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Once you get used to them it hardly matters, but I prefer larger, like PM2 or Salt.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

I like the larger holes, since they generally feel better and are easier to use with gloves on.

Though a small hole has never been a deal breaker.

At any rate, thank you for volunteering to take measurements.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Though I have fat thumbs and like them bigger, I find a sharper hole is even more important. Even Ladybugs open easy with a sharp hole. I do like to know and compare, however. I wonder why they stopped.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Skaaphaas

Post by Skaaphaas »

First time I read that people prefer the sharper holes. My new Sage 5 takes slivers of my nails when flicking them open.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Count me among those who miss having Spyderhole diameter among the "dimensional data" available in the catalog descriptions. Having on the 'Wiki would be the next best thing.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
PM1

Post by PM1 »

I really like to know the size of the spyderhole, so I think it should be in the catalogue. I definitely prefer the larger holes whenever possible.
tvenuto

Re: Evil D

Post by tvenuto »

Evil D wrote:It's not necessarily a deal breaker for me but I like them larger where design permits. I certainly wouldn't want the Military hole to be smaller, but I can also live with the hole on the Nilakka. For me it's almost just as important to have a nice sharp edge on the hole as it is to be large. I wouldn't mind seeing the size advertised for reference though.
+1. The lack of the crisp hole on the Slysz Bowie is its only (not easily fixable) flaw IMHO.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

Loving we've got a thread about hole size and nobody is making gags about it. :D
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Hey, we can be adults. It's not nearly as much fun...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I would love to see the re-inclusion of hole-size offered in Spyderco catalogs. I have the hole dimensions of a few models memorized, but it would be superb to see this again--especially for newer models.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Evil D

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:
Evil D wrote:It's not necessarily a deal breaker for me but I like them larger where design permits. I certainly wouldn't want the Military hole to be smaller, but I can also live with the hole on the Nilakka. For me it's almost just as important to have a nice sharp edge on the hole as it is to be large. I wouldn't mind seeing the size advertised for reference though.
+1. The lack of the crisp hole on the Slysz Bowie is its only (not easily fixable) flaw IMHO.
Actually if you have a Dremel and a barrel sander it's very easy to fix. Just go slow and work the hole in circular motions (lol).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The size of the hole is somewhat important to me. I write frequently that a properly done hole is a much more positive way to open a knife than a thumb stud or flipper. For me properly done means a fairly large hole with a sharp edge. I don't do as well with a smaller hole, such as a Delica, Endura or Bradley. And I don't do well at all with the rounded holes that one of my older knives has.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The size of the Spyderco Trademark Round Hole does not matter to me... it's the design and the function of the :spyder: that matters most. I have :spyder:s like the Spyderco Military and Assist with larger Trademark Round Holes and I have :spyder:s like the Spyderco Delica 4 and Caly 3 with smaller Trademark Round Holes, and I like them all and they all work just fine for me.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think it makes sense for Spyderco to include this data in the catalog. On one hand i do prefer larger holes but on the other hand I find that Spyderco matches the hole to the model fairly well. I wish the hole was bigger on my R model but I wouldn't really feel as though I need to change the size of any other holes. If Spyderco is not going to putthat info in the catalog then adding it to the wiki sounds like the next best option.

Thanks for lookinng out for the Spydie commumity Kyle.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If the hole is not too small I am fine with it. I am happy with the hole on the Delica, for instance. I can easily and quickly open the knife under all sorts of conditions. The hole on the Military is large and I am fine with that, as well. It is a larger knife with a wider blade and needs a larger hole.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050