Think i want a Military, but which one?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ncvarmint

Think i want a Military, but which one?

Post by ncvarmint »

I have these already,
Gayle bradley 2
Sage 1
Black/black para 2
Blurple para 2
Jade para 2
And a CF M4 on the way
I want to try a military but cant decide on the KW cts 204p or the blurple s110v. I am not an expert on sharpening but have a sharpmaker and have sharpened the s30v blade okay.
Thanks
SpyderNut

Re: Think i want a Military, but which one?

Post by SpyderNut »

The 204p Millie would be a good place to start, IMOH, because of it being a low-maintenance SS and relative ease of re-sharpening. The 52100 Millie would be okay, except you would need to maintain regularly to avoid rust. Of course, the 110V Millie would be a superb choice also, as it would be excellent for edge-holding and low maintenance. There's not a bad choice in the bunch, even if you "settled" for the good ol' S30V Millie. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
ejames13

Post by ejames13 »

I recommend the KW 204p. I've owned a regular S30V Military, a Cruwear, and now the 204p. This one is my favorite so far. It's also an exclusive, so it won't be around forever. Whereas the S110V is regular production.

204p is a little more difficult than S30V in terms of sharpening, but also better in edge retention. I've never owned S110V, but from what I understand it is much more difficult to sharpen, particularly with a Sharpmaker.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

I'd actually rate all three of the mentioned steels as fairly easy to sharpen, especially when using the Sharpmaker, 204P and S30V take very nice polished edges, S110V works best for me with a coarser final finish, all three are very respectable performers, though S30V may be the least well suited to a big rugged knife like the Military.

BTW, I'm really digging my KW exclusive, I'd definitely recommend it!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just can't say enough good about my KW Exclusive.
Its is just so sharp and the action pure silk.
I think you would be happy with either though.
But my vote goes for the 204P version.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I would also recommend grabbing the 204P exclusive or the 52100, both are limited runs and once they are gone they're gone. The S110V is a production piece and will be around for a while. Right now the 52100 is my favorite and seems to find its way into my pocket almost everyday since arrival. For me 52100 has been exceptionally easy to sharpen and keep sharp with just a few passes on the SM every few days, I also am fond of patina and the 52100 does it nicely.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

As for the two you are looking at, I think I'd go with the one I liked the looks of best.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

204P since you already have a S110V PM2 but no 204P. And it is a limited run...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ncvarmint

Post by ncvarmint »

Thanks for the responses, the only things i cut are rope/string and very little cardboard, also open alot of letters and stuff like that. I kinda like the 52100 but only place i see its in stock is $250 shipped, i like the KW one alot as i am not the biggest fan of the blurple
Thanks
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

ncvarmint wrote:Thanks for the responses, the only things i cut are rope/string and very little cardboard, also open alot of letters and stuff like that. I kinda like the 52100 but only place i see its in stock is $250 shipped, i like the KW one alot as i am not the biggest fan of the blurple
Thanks
SSK has them $232
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
paladin

Post by paladin »

Do you like tool steel sharpenability?

Do you like fairly low maintenance blade care? But don't mind a bit of character patina from good honest use?

Want a relatively tough edge?

If so, Cruwear may be the Millie for you. Love mine. Think D2, but better! Cru is a great balanced steel, IMHO :D

...and it won't develop cancerous red & pitting rust just from touching it and leaving it in your drawer unattended... :eek:

They come up pretty often on the secondaries, also.

For the more rare birds...I'd go with an M390 Military.

It takes a mirror polish like nobody's business...if you're into that kind of thing. :cool:

Of course, the readily available KW sprint in 204p is close enough to M390 to be analogous.
Last edited by paladin on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Able Dog

Post by Able Dog »

Sounds like the 204p is the right Millie for you.

It isn't that much harder to sharpen than S30V and if you aren't a fan of the indigo handles, then I'd second the other suggestions.

I personally am waiting for the CQI changes to make it into the standard Military, and I'll be buying a black/satin version. I love the Millie, but not a huge fan of DLC/digicam.

W.O.T.W. - Way of the Wharncliffe
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Something about this one. Though I gotta say that a Manix2 is clearly missing from your list ;)
ncvarmint

Post by ncvarmint »

I dont really want to deal with keeping blades ouled all that much.

I like the exclusives and sprint models more than the standard production knives.

I am eying the Sprint manix 2 and plan to get it when it's available.

Looks like the KW cts-204p is the one i should get
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'd like to have one of those green handled 204P Military models myself. But it's going to have to be an awesome performer to dethrone my M390 Military. I can only think of 3 other Spyders I've put more miles on than my M390 Military.

I would love to have a set of Military models in LC200N ( PE & SE). That would be a pair of great Military models for a survivalist kit, bugout bag and/or a set of "preppers" dream knives. It would definitely be top notch for use in harsh environments.

From what I've heard recently about ELMAX I'm beginning to wonder if that also would be a great blade steel for a PE & SE Military set.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I had no Military and wasn't trying to get a sprint, I'd get the S110V. If that wasn't an option I'd try to find out if the DLC version is getting the CQI changes and I'd try to get my hands on one of those.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

S110V! I have a few different Millies in super steels. I was SOOOO impressed with the S110V PM2, I couldn't wait for the drop of it's bigger brother. As soon as I got one....I knew this would be my favorite Millie of all. And it is. I was sporting the 52100 for a bit, and before that the M390. Both great steels...I take extra care of the 52100, but the M390 just stays sharp and doesn't need that much care. S90V is also great, still have no need to sharpen that one. I really started to collect all different types of Millies so that I could better understand how each steel performs/reacts. How some have a "toothier" edge, how some are more prone to rust, how some are near impossible to sharpen, etc. And IMHO, take ALL what I have observed into consideration....I think it's fair to say the S110V is the all-round best of them all. M390/204P are a second....there after, I would have to say S90V. S90V and M390/204P are really close...but find S90V a bit harder to sharpen. I don't think most people will really be able to tell the difference. But going back to the S110V...who else has a 4" S110V blade at $170?? I liked it soooo much, I actually picked up two. I plan to get one more Millie...BHQ is going to drop an M4 with jade/vomit green G10 scales. Not sure how much, but I doubt it will be too much. As sharp and strong as M4 is...I'd still pick S110V though. You really can't go wrong with either S110V, 204P, M390, S90V, etc. Sure, M4 and 52100 are amazing steels as well, but require more care. IMHO!!!

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

ncvarmint wrote:I dont really want to deal with keeping blades ouled all that much.

I like the exclusives and sprint models more than the standard production knives.

I am eying the Sprint manix 2 and plan to get it when it's available.

Looks like the KW cts-204p is the one i should get
Yup. Sprint first, ask questions later.
animportant

Post by animportant »

I bet if 204p goes on sale again I won't be able to resist. IMO that's the one you should get based on what you have. For s110v get the manix LW. Sorry!! :D

Edit - Woops, you've got the blurple PM2. 204p millie all the way!!!!
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

204P Millie still on sale at KW...would still rather the S110V but....eh.....

Harry
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!