PM2 with titanium scales?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DrtyHarry

PM2 with titanium scales?

Post by DrtyHarry »

Has anyone purchased one of these? Have they been released yet? I noticed that BHQ has a few reviews on them. I'm REALLY liking the looks of these. I'm toying with the notion of maybe getting some of these titanium scales and swapping the scales that came with my BHQ M4 PM2. $80 seems to be a fair price if they are in fact all titanium. But, I like the black blade, hardware, clip, etc. on the titanium version. Have you PM2 fans seen this yet? I think this is the nicest looking PM2 I have ever seen...those titanium scales with black blade/hardware is so sexy!

THIS CLIP IS SWEET!

Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
SpyderNut

Re: PM2 with titanium scales?

Post by SpyderNut »

I believe Demoncase has a Ti PM2, but I'm not sure where the scales were from. There's a picture of his knife around here somewhere...
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Bit confused, I read somewhere that a guy purchased one with titanium scales, and with his purchase, a set of digicam scales were included. Perhaps this is the digicam S30V model with the just ti scales added? The digicam model has black hardware/blade/clip...the model number I think is also the same.
Spydercos, Sebenzas, Shiros, Bastinellis, Hinderers, Microtechs & Brends ALL ROCK!!!
PaleMoon

Post by PaleMoon »

If I remember correctly, these were regular PM2s modified by Flytanium, hence why the old scales came with the knife.
The problem of a coherent civilization is the problem of living with ignorance and not being frustrated by it.
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

PaleMoon wrote:If I remember correctly, these were regular PM2s modified by Flytanium, hence why the old scales came with the knife.
Silly me....I thought Flytanium was a kind of titanium or something, or a finish. That makes sense. On the other hand, it would be a nice move if Spyderco made fluted titanium scales like they do for the Millie....I'd be all over that! I like titanium scales, I just don't think they offer the best of grips...unless the titanium is etched or fluted to give more of a grip. Like the Sebenza...they are great knives, the the titanium scales don't give the best grip, unless you opt for the Wilson Combat "Starbenza" version that has a textured design to the scales. Still...the PM2 with titanium scales, black blade and hardware looks fantastic!!

Harry
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

A lot of people who ordered these scales hat fitment issues and had to return them (from some posts I read). I suppose the best thing to do would be to purchase the knife assembled with the Ti scales direct from BHQ...any problems, you can just return it...

Harry
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I got a pair of titan PM2 scales a couple of years ago from John Grimsmo. He does first-class work - the knife works smoothly as silk.

TedP

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This thread is just making me wish Spyderco would produce a titanium para 2. I know it's been asked for a million times. Maybe a million plus one is the magic number they've been waiting for :)
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

That really is beautiful!! That black blade and titanium combo really is killer....well done!

Harry
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Liquid Cobra wrote:This thread is just making me wish Spyderco would produce a titanium para 2. I know it's been asked for a million times. Maybe a million plus one is the magic number they've been waiting for :)
Or at least BHQ or KW could have an exclusive run? Those would sell like wildfire...even more so with fluted ti scales, like the Millie. IMHO...

Harry
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

There was a titanium pm2 "prototype", on ebay a couple of years ago that sold for silly money, I don't know if it was ever authenticated.

If Spyderco ever decide to make a ti pm2, I'm guessing they might use an integral compression lock rather than a liner comp lock.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

DrtyHarry wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:This thread is just making me wish Spyderco would produce a titanium para 2. I know it's been asked for a million times. Maybe a million plus one is the magic number they've been waiting for :)
Or at least BHQ or KW could have an exclusive run? Those would sell like wildfire...even more so with fluted ti scales, like the Millie. IMHO...

Harry
As hard as it was to get ahold of fluted Ti Millies, (one of mine was on backorder over a year) I can only imagine how bad it might get trying to obtain a Ti PM2. I *thought* I remembered someone saying they saw a prototype PM2 with fluted CF, which I could also really go for (I do have one of the 40th anniv Native 5's on preorder).
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
DrtyHarry

Post by DrtyHarry »

Johnnie1801 wrote:There was a titanium pm2 "prototype", on ebay a couple of years ago that sold for silly money, I don't know if it was ever authenticated.

If Spyderco ever decide to make a ti pm2, I'm guessing they might use an integral compression lock rather than a liner comp lock.
The PM2 is famous for it's lock...think they would keep it the same. Wouldn't really be a PM2...

Harry
swigert

Post by swigert »

DrtyHarry wrote:
Johnnie1801 wrote:There was a titanium pm2 "prototype", on ebay a couple of years ago that sold for silly money, I don't know if it was ever authenticated.

The PM2 is famous for it's lock...think they would keep it the same. Wouldn't really be a PM2...

Harry
It would be an integral compression lock like on the ATR. It's been done before. Pretty sure I remember someone saying they saw a proto ti PM2.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yeah the proto was an integral comp lock. It was sweet.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
swigert

Post by swigert »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Yeah the proto was an integral comp lock. It was sweet.
Glad I wasn't making that up.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I saved the pics of that proto or whatever it was on the bay. It was fluted Ti with an integral comp lock. Somebody made a thread about it.

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=64912

There was some talk of an actual proto and here are some quotes from BF;
Sal Glesser wrote:Hi Tricker,

the term "Frame-lock" was created because makers didn't want to say Chris Reeve's "Integral lock". (which I believe Chris trademarked). We just call them "RIL" or Reeve Integral lock. We've been calling the the integral compression lock an integral compression lock.

On a para version, we have a proto that is very nice. It would be all new tooling, but it's on a back burner due to capacity issues at this time. Golden factory is being enlarged and we should be able to get it to a front burner next year. We'd probably do a sprint ATR in Seki.

The Dodo was very inconvenient to "squeeze in".

sal
Sal Glesser wrote:The Integral Compression Lock Para that we have is Ti. On the ATR, we'ved not decided what to make it out of. Still discussing with the maker.

sal
These quotes are from April of 2014. Where are we at with this? :eek: :D :D :D :D

This is my grail knife. This post is totally obsessive. :o
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?