Custom Shop

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Custom Shop

Post by Doc Dan »

Buck has a custom shop. They offer old standard models. They offer two steel choices, a standard and an upgrade. They also offer a good choice of scale materials. Benchmade, a small company, offers custom shop knives so customers get steel choices, and scale color choices.

Please, please, Spyderco, a custom shop. It only need to have one steel upgrade and be a standard knife. It could have some scale upgrades, too. It could have factory engraving of names and etc. Something simple to start with. Perhaps the Golden models to start with (but I would like a Delica in the mix).

I know this has been bandied about many times. I just wanted all you good folks to know we are all still interested.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
yablanowitz

Re: Custom Shop

Post by yablanowitz »

You do realize that Benchmade, a "small company", is three times the size of Spyderco, don't you? Would you really rather have a Spyderco Custom Shop than having new models?
aquaman67

Post by aquaman67 »

I think the OP is on the something.

It would be sweet to be able to pick scale material / color and blade steel.

But which knives? PM2 is an obvious choice. What about the Delica / Endura line?

Why could this only be done to the exclusion of new models?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This has come up many times before and the answer is always no. It would be cool but it isn't gonna be happening any time soon.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

aquaman67 wrote: What about the Delica / Endura line?
I believe these have to be ordered from the maker in rather large batches so it is unlikely. The Para2 is much more likely because if this happened it would probably have to happen in Golden.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

At least in theory, Spyderco's position on this issue could change now that their production capacity in Golden has increased. Still, even thought the only constant in life is change, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for this one, if I were you, . As for me, pity that there's only one model made there, the Native V, that I'd be even remotely interested in ordering, and then only if ordering it with stabilized wood scales and a blade made from certain patterns of Damasteel was among the available options.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Here's what Sal said about this idea last time it was mentioned
It's an interesting concept. It would not be possible or practical to use our regular production people to do that. We have sort of a custom shop capability with Nate, who is exceptional. Nate has his own mini-shop for his repairs, but is mostly working with Charlynn on customer service.

As Cliff suggested, it would take a custom guy with a mini-shop to perform the tasks. Really wouldn't be much different than a custom shop. It would have gto be done without disrupting production. At this time, it would be very difficult, We can discuss the concept again in a couple of years when the new facility is complete, new machines are in and operating, etc.

sal
Full thread - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65828&p=981440&hili ... op#p981440
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I just want to keep a gentle reminder out there that there are many of us who would be interested in custom shop offerings whenever Sal and Co. decide to make this happen. If we do not speak up we will not be heard because he cannot read our minds. We all love Spyderco and it would be neat to have something unique, or a little unique.

It would be within their abilities to start somewhere, perhaps. For example, what if they offered the NAtive 5 LW with linerless G10 in a couple of colors (or wood with liners) and choice of blade steels. Add a laser engraver and viola! we have the first custom knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MattM68

Post by MattM68 »

Although it might not be possible at the moment, I'm sure everyone would love this. I would pay full MSRP if I could pick my scale color, along with 1 or 2 different blade steels. I don't need custom engraving, or coated blades. I would love for this to happen. Even if they only did it for one model! Maybe the Native, Para 2, or Manix 2.

Matt
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

I brought this up a few years ago with some of the same responses. Its a great idea but wishful thinking at the moment
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Between scale modders and the regrind folks out there you can tweak one heck of a Spyderco. The ergos, lockup, and steel are typically amazing from the factory which is the hardest to find in a tool. I've had my Southard reground ZDP-189 Stretch FRN in my pocket for weeks now.

Plus all the popular models are constantly released in sprints (a dozen or so PM2's and Manix2s). The normal production models are usually available in a few scale and/or blade steel/edge configurations.

What kind of custom Spyderco would be ideal?
bearfacedkiller

I sure would be all over it if it happened though! It is probably better for my wallet that they don't. :D
-Darby
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

This reminds me a bit of what Trek (and some other companies) have done with their high-end bicycles.

My opinion though... no thanks.
I'd rather they focus on banging out a few more dozen of the anticipated designs that are stuck in queue! :)
Going back to Caly.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

aquaman67 wrote:I think the OP is on the something.

It would be sweet to be able to pick scale material / color and blade steel.

But which knives? PM2 is an obvious choice. What about the Delica / Endura line?

Why could this only be done to the exclusion of new models?
Because the custom work would have to be done by the personnel who are making prototypes now. Sal has told us many times that they have hundreds of designs in development. Those designs don't just spring directly from someone's mind to the production line. There is a lot of research involved, including prototyping and testing. If Spyderco could just go out and hire someone off the street to do that, there wouldn't be any call for a custom shop, because everyone would know someone who could do that work for them, assuming they couldn't just do it themselves. Talent like that doesn't just grow on trees. It takes years of dedicated effort to gain the skills needed. When they do find someone with the talent and skill to put out custom work who is willing to do so for a wage instead of hanging out their shingle, that person has to be used where they are needed most. Making prototypes of models for the future is better for the company than making custom versions of current production pieces.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

If a custom shop were ever to happen, I would be very supportive. In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the incredible variety of new models that are coming our way. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

SpyderNut wrote:If a custom shop were ever to happen, I would be very supportive.
I'm sure there are at least a few here who would be.

I'm also cynical enough to be equally sure that, within an hour after Kristi posted a thread announcing the creation of such a shop, and detailing the choices that would be offered, someone would post complaining that Spyderco was doing it all wrong, that Model X should have been offered instead of Model Y, that the selection of steels or handle colors did not include their personal choice(s), or that the prices were too high.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

The Deacon wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:If a custom shop were ever to happen, I would be very supportive.

I'm also cynical enough to be equally sure that, within an hour after Kristi posted a thread announcing the creation of such a shop, and detailing the choices that would be offered, someone would post complaining that Spyderco was doing it all wrong, that Model X should have been offered instead of Model Y, that the selection of steels or handle colors did not include their personal choice(s), or that the prices were too high.
I agree, you are quite correct about that. :( Sigh. I doubt every single person would be pleased unless every Spyderco model ever released were to be offered in the custom shop... :rolleyes:

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

SpyderNut wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

I agree, you are quite correct about that. :( Sigh. I doubt every single person would be pleased unless every Spyderco model ever released were to be offered in the custom shop... :rolleyes:

Even if they did that for every model, and offered them for free, people would still flip out and be like "you expect ME to pay for shipping, AND wait 2 weeks?!?", lol... :rolleyes:
Going back to Caly.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don't like the idea. I think Spyderco's design philosophies, R&D and manufacturing quality are exactly right for bringing quality tools for specific tasks or range of requirements, then staying with those elements to test, criticize and eventually change those tools in order to improve the design and reason for being in the first place. The kind of "custom shop" proposed here is more like a knife boutique where you can design whatever you want, without regard to actual functional design in the first place.

I say keep the effort where it has always been: quality cutting tools based on intelligent design.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

SpeedHoles wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
The Deacon wrote:

Even if they did that for every model, and offered them for free, people would still flip out and be like "you expect ME to pay for shipping, AND wait 2 weeks?!?", lol... :rolleyes:
Lol. ;) That is so true! :D I can totally see that happen.