New to this forum and to Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

New to this forum and to Spyderco

Post by MichaelScott »

By way of introduction I am seventy-two, live in a very small town in southern Colorado, retired, father and husband, Navy vet and a writer and lover of history. I spent a few growing-up years in north Texas in a town called Bowie where my father and sister were born. Being named after James Bowie, knives were always a favorite topic and I suspect I first developed my knife interest there. I've had knives of various sorts ever since. They especially came in handy on board ship. I went from a large Case folding knife with a large blade at one end to a marlin spike at the other to a good, sharp fixed blade on board. A concern at sea detail or underway replenishment was getting caught up in a moving line and I figured a fixed blade sheath knife would be a faster deploy.

Anyway, I've been through a lot of knives, settling on folders these days. A couple of years ago hearing more about Spyderco knives I bought a Delica 4 in brown. Hmmm... Odd shapes, interesting blade and steel. The more I used it the better liked it, especially the edge performance bolstered by the ergonomics of the handle. So, liking small knives too, I bought a Dragonfly 2. Instant affinity. After a few months with that one I came to the tentative conclusion that it is the best EDC knife on the planet. Of course, I lost it. Grumble, curses and other bad words. I tried a Byrd Meadowlark. But, it arrived damaged and obviously used. Sent it back and bought an Orange handled Dragonfly 2 from Amazon. Nice....
Then I lost it too.
In the interim I researched and learned a great deal about Spyderco the company, their philosophy and dedication to quality and customer support. Now I am even more impressed and have decided that I will just stick with Spyderco products from now on.

So, being limited in funds as we live basically on social security, I am picking up the occasional Spydercos as I can. I can't really be a collector since I use all of my knives so I tend to follow the forum experiences on Spyderco models but buy what I can that appeals to me. I got a new Ambitious to fill in for the Dragonfly and I have a Tenacious with the plain edge coming tomorrow.

One last note: three years ago I stopped working as one moderator on a gun forum. We had over ten thousand members and five mods. The owner sold it so we all resigned. It was a balanced, non-hostile place, but we had to work hard to keep it that way. I am impressed with the general level of courtesy and community I have observed here and hope to be a contributing member.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Re: New to this forum and to Spyderco

Post by Ankerson »

Welcome. :)

Small world, I used to live just outside of Sunset TX, left when I was still a kid, but still have family in the area.

Not very far from Bowie, that was the bigger town. :)
Last edited by Ankerson on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Welcome to the forum MichaelScott! :)
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Welcome to the forum Michael. I hope you have a good time on the forum. As you are in Colorado you may wish to save a few $'s for the seconds sale at the SFO in November, I'm sure some of our Coloradan members will fill you in on the details :)
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
Razzle

Post by Razzle »

Howdy, Michael....welcome from your neighbor down the road in Arizona.
Matt
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Welcome!! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome to the forums! Always nice to hear a person's story and it's just as nice to see the community grow :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Welcome sir. This is a great place to hang out and even learn things. Lots of experienced folks who can keep even us retired folks learning and moving forward

Joe
Holland

Post by Holland »

Welcome to the forums! I look forward to seeing you put your spydercos to work! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ankerson wrote:Welcome. :)

Small world, I used to live just outside of Sunset TX, left when I was still a kid, but still have family in the area.

I think my current town, La Veta, is bigger than Sunset and smaller than Bowie (as it was then). I had a school friend who lived in Sunset. Used to go visit now and then.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

MichaelScott wrote:
Ankerson wrote:Welcome. :)

I think my current town, La Veta, is bigger than Sunset and smaller than Bowie (as it was then). I had a school friend who lived in Sunset. Used to go visit now and then.

Haven't been back for awhile myself. :)

The family had a good sized farm until a few years ago, used to go back and help during cutting season, coastal hay.

I heard the area has been growing quite a bit as of late.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Welcome to the forum and to our addiction. I see you found what we all have, that these weird looking Spydercos really to work well and are more comfortable to use. The Dragonfly cannot be beaten for a small knife. I gave up my traditional knife for a G10 Dragonfly, the only thing that ever qualified as a replacement. I have a purple one in my pocket now. Try Knifeworks.com, as they have great prices on Dragonflies, if you don't mind me saying so.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks for the advice about Knifeworks. I'm not keen on buying from eBay sellers, although I've sold a lot of things there and maintained a 100% rating over the years. There are many questionable sellers there and I don't know enough about fake Spydercos to feel secure if I should ever spend serious money on one.

I was surprised at my reaction to the Dragonfly 2. I think it is the equal of bigger knives, and even more, has, for me, the right combination of ergonomics, blade shape, cutting edge and weight. I like the FRN versions. I'm still hopeful that my little orange one is somewhere in the house and will turn up when least expected. Could happen. A Tenacious is due to arrive today so I'll be carrying that one around, getting the feel of it for a few days. So, I guess my "collection" has begun: Delica 4, Ambitious, Tenacious.

Team Innovation
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

That's a good start. :)

Let us know what you think about the Tenacious once you get it.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

From one Michael to another--welcome aboard! :) It's always good to see a fellow knife enthusiast here.

Take care,
Michael
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Welcome to our forum.

I'm seventy two. And a sailor (small sailboats) and a knife afi.

Hope you enjoy your time here,. Lotsa good folks and the discussion doesn't cost a dime.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Hello! Judging from what you've posted so far, you're clearly sane and level headed.... so a big welcome from me,too!
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Welcome to the forum. I have not yet made it to visit Bowie, TX. Isn't it strange how Texas of all places specifically prohibits carrying a Bowie knife (though they don't even define *what* constitutes a "Bowie" :) ).

Of course not too far away is Weatherford, home of Gayle Bradley. If you haven't had a chance to examine his Spyderco collaborations, do check them out!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Welcome to the forums! :D