Help Defining Off-Topic vs General Discussion Please

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TazKristi

Help Defining Off-Topic vs General Discussion Please

Post by TazKristi »

Recently we've had some discussions here about the "why and when" of moving threads from General Discussion to the Off Topic section. I'd like some input from all of you (particularly those of you who frequent the Off Topic area). What do you think makes a topic "Off Topic" vs "General Discussion"? After reviewing the input, we'll probably have a few discussions here and then I'll potentially revise the descriptions of both areas of our forum for clarity.

Most importantly, please keep in mind that moving a thread has solely to do with the organization of topics. It has nothing to do with wanting to stifle discussion or hiding information. We believe every area of the forum is important and contains valid and relevant topics. If we didn't - they wouldn't exist.

Finally, this pertains to topics more so than specific posts within a topic. We all know that posts within threads can wander a bit - in our meetings here we call that a "Squirrel!!" moment. ;)

Thanks much for your candid responses. We look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Evil D

Re: Help Defining Off-Topic vs General Discussion Please

Post by Evil D »

Well, I think obviously General needs to be Spyderco related in some form or another. I enjoy threads about steel types and sharpening etc, but sometimes they're not at all brand related. That's a fine line though since this entire hobby/lifestyle is boiled down to steel type and sharpening, so it's tough to draw a line between those two.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Spyderco knives directly is General.. Any thing else is OT!! ! JMO! John :)
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Here's the way I see it, Kristi. Most folks seem to do a pretty good job of understanding which sub-forum is the appropriate place to start their thread. Most of those who put things in the wrong place, either realize their mistake and ask that the thread be moved or calmly accept the fact that they screwed up when they notice their thread has been moved. I can't imagine there being more than one or two individuals who feel picked on because they can neither follow the rules or admit they're capable of error. Given that, I think you have more than enough on your plate without having to rewrite the rules regarding what goes where.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I would say that if we are not discussing a product that Spyderco has produced, is producing, is going to produce or that we would like to see produced then we are off topic.

I'm not sure where discussions about the company and it's history or future belong or discussions about the Glessers belong but I suppose that they also qualify as on topic.

Sometimes things start out on topic and we go off on tangents and drift far off topic. What then?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Sometimes things start out on topic and we go off on tangents and drift far off topic. What then?
I'm immediately reminded of the recent fire steel thread, which started out as an earnest request to discuss a Spyderco produced fire steel, but quite quickly devolved into a discussion on the merits (or lack thereof) of fire steels in general. I know Kristi mentioned the "squirrel! moment" but sometimes entire discussions derail. I'm of the thought that, as far as derailed discussions, we should self-police. When things are seeming to go off-topic, someone should start an off-topic discussion and suggest that everyone continue the derailed discussion there. This was recently done with the ARK to get the "assault" discussion out of the Amsterdam thread, and I think it worked well.

As far as the content in General? I think that it should be directly related to Spyderco products and their use (knives and sharpening them). However, I do feel that this encompasses general stuff like edge angles and sharpening, even if the particular example doesn't directly use a spyderco knife or spyderco sharpener. Similarly, if you want to discuss a steel that you are suggesting be used in Spyderco knives, then I'd say it can be in General as well. For off-topic, I would say that this would be things like discussing the merits of fire steels, or travel tips, or other things not directly knife related.

I'd agree with Deacon, though. I don't think this is a major issue and most threads are in the right location. However, if you are going to write a new guideline, thanks for seeking our opinion.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

If a thread isn't about a Spyderco product then it is Off Topic and doesn't need to be in General.

That includes threads that are obviously ment to shill for other forums or just use a Spyderco product in an attempt to keep their thread in General. If that happens the thread needs to be moved and the Poster should be warned that it will not be tolerated and if the practice continues they really need to be banned.

In the end this is the Spyderco Company Forum and I believe that any thread that isn't about Spyderco Products needs to be moved, that also means posts that are obviously ment to shill or SPAM for other forums or websites. So if a post is the issue they need to be edited as such to remove the OT content.

That's just my thoughts on the subject.

Advertising or Shilling for other websites, forums etc is technically SPAM no matter how people want to slice it.

Would be like Benchmade or KAI coming here and advertising their products etc, that wouldn't happen anymore than Spyderco going on their Company forums and doing the same.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

tvenuto wrote: I'd agree with Deacon, though. I don't think this is a major issue and most threads are in the right location. However, if you are going to write a new guideline, thanks for seeking our opinion.
It was getting way out of control not too long ago, and I mean way out of control to the point that I started to question what forum I was actually on and that's pretty bad.

Starting to get better now again finally, still has a ways to go yet, but it seems to be getting there. ;)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

IMHO, Spyderco General Discussion should be just that--Spyderco Discussion. I think that threads about fire starting, edge retention, etc., are interesting and have their place on this forum, but personally, I would put them all in Off Topic.

For me, threads about sharpening are harder to classify. For example, a thread titled "Tips for Using the 204 Sharpmaker" should definitely be included in General, but I think that threads with little to no reference of Spyderco products in them belong here, in Off Topic. ;)

I personally believe that the Glessers are an integral part of everything Spyderco, so I think that Glesser-related topics should be permissible in General. :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

GoldenSpydie wrote:IMHO, Spyderco General Discussion should be just that--Spyderco Discussion. I think that threads about fire starting, edge retention, etc., are interesting and have their place on this forum, but personally, I would put them all in Off Topic.

For me, threads about sharpening are harder to classify. For example, a thread titled "Tips for Using the 204 Sharpmaker" should definitely be included in General, but I think that threads with little to no reference of Spyderco products in them belong here, in Off Topic. ;)

I personally believe that the Glessers are an integral part of everything Spyderco, so I think that Glesser-related topics should be permissible in General. :)

I completely agree. :)

The testing threads that are really about Spyderco products are fine IMO, that's as long as they are really about Spyderco Products not something else. ;)

That's were Moderation comes in though and those that aren't clearly about Spyderco products would be moved.

I think once the boundaries are set and warnings and or other infractions are handed out etc things will come more back inline with it being the Spyderco Forum. :spyder:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Perhaps we (I'm loath to suggest this) need an additional area?

1. Spyderco products
2. General knife topics - steels, sharpening etc
3. OT - everthing else - drinks, food, music, weather,

Just a thought. Like others, I don't perceive this as a huge issue. I like that the forum is pretty informal and threads can drift somewhat without someone coming down on the poster for going OT. Makes this forum a more friendly environment.

Ken

Ken
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

kbuzbee wrote:Perhaps we (I'm loath to suggest this) need an additional area?

1. Spyderco products
2. General knife topics - steels, sharpening etc
3. OT - everthing else - drinks, food, music, weather,

Just a thought. Like others, I don't perceive this as a huge issue. I like that the forum is pretty informal and threads can drift somewhat without someone coming down on the poster for going OT. Makes this forum a more friendly environment.

Ken

Ken
I was thinking the same thing for a few minutes then I kicked myself for even thinking it. LOL :D

Leaving it the way it is now and doing what they seem to be talking about would be less work and less headache to Mod, would have to be heavily Moderated.

Adding more areas would open it up to more of the big issues that brought us to the point we are at now and the topic of this thread. ;)
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I guess it comes down to intent.

We are all guests here and are asked to check our egos at the door. If someone posts a thread that is deemed less about Spyderco and it's products than about other things it should be moved simply out of respect of the audience seeking out information.

While the general forum probably gets 10/1 view ratio to the off-topic, if our thread gets moved we certainly shouldn't puff out our chests about it. Rather we should try to figure out why it was moved and sincerely try to put a bit more Spyderco in our next post if we want it to stick in the main subforum. Many here have best intent and no insecure desire to battle with a moderator about thread transfers. We understand employees of a company policing forums is not the best use of company resources.

But yea, as mentioned.

General - Primarily Spyderco, whether by title or content
Off-Topic - Primarily other things, whether by title or content

If someone wants to battle the logic and semantics of the question I'm sure it's possible. Those people could fight over the definitive wetness of water...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Those people could fight over the definitive wetness of water...
That would be Exclusion Zone Water? ;)

Ken
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbuzbee wrote:
Blerv wrote:Those people could fight over the definitive wetness of water...
That would be Exclusion Zone Water? ;)

Ken
Ha! I never thought of H20 in it's frozen state either. Shenanigans!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Blerv wrote:I guess it comes down to intent.

We are all guests here and are asked to check our egos at the door. If someone posts a thread that is deemed less about Spyderco and it's products than about other things it should be moved simply out of respect of the audience seeking out information.

While the general forum probably gets 10/1 view ratio to the off-topic, if our thread gets moved we certainly shouldn't puff out our chests about it. Rather we should try to figure out why it was moved and sincerely try to put a bit more Spyderco in our next post if we want it to stick in the main subforum. Many here have best intent and no insecure desire to battle with a moderator about thread transfers. We understand employees of a company policing forums is not the best use of company resources.

But yea, as mentioned.

If someone wants to battle the logic and semantics of the question I'm sure it's possible. Those people could fight over the definitive wetness of water...
+1 Bingo. My feelings too. Thanks for asking, Kristi!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

SpyderNut wrote:

But yea, as mentioned.

+2 Defiantly dead spot on IMHO. :)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ankerson wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

But yea, as mentioned.

+3

With the sole caveat that tacking "Spyderco" into the title of a thread that has nothing to do with Spyderco is blatant "key word spamming", and deserves to be dealt with as such.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Deacon wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:

But yea, as mentioned.

+3

With the sole caveat that tacking "Spyderco" into the title of a thread that has nothing to do with Spyderco is blatant "key word spamming", and deserves to be dealt with as such.

I made that point more than a few times, didn't go so well though, but it's their forum so you know how it is, all I can do is point it out.

And that wasn't even nit picking, it was obvious blatant in your face stuff too.

So I dunno, I am just a member here like everyone else, they will run their forum how they see fit.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh for sure. Nothing is more annoying than clicking on a link you think is an article of interest and finding it to be senseless webcrawler bait.