Poll: Would a Para Military 2 in FRN or FRCP interest you?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would a Para Military 2 in FRN or FRCP interest you?

Yes
42%
No
53%
I'm not sure
4%

Total votes: 92

mastiff

Poll: Would a Para Military 2 in FRN or FRCP interest you?

Post by mastiff »

I got my Manix 2 in black FRCP today and I must say I'm impressed. It's just so light, but it still feels very solid. I'll be picking up the translucent blue version as soon as one of my favorite dealers gets one in for sure, I got the black version first because that's what was in stock. I'll probably pick up the S110V blue version as well. These seem to be hot sellers, the normal dealers don't have the translucent blue or S110V in stock very often and when they do they sell pretty fast. This brings me to the question, why isn't a version of the Para Military 2 in FRN or FRCP available?

The PM2 is a very big seller and from what I've noticed, is more popular than the Manix 2. It would seem to be the next logical step for the PM2, and a PM2 with the translucent blue or a translucent medium or dark green (I would like this a little more personally) handle would be awesome! Is this something that's been considered? Would you buy a PM2 with a FRCP handle?
Last edited by mastiff on Sat Mar 21, 2015 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noah

Re: Would a Para Military 2 in FRN or FRCP interest you?

Post by Noah »

A Para 2 Lightweight for under $100, in a colored translucent handle, with a wire clip... I want one already!
Experimentalist

Post by Experimentalist »

I haven't actually tried FRN nor FRCP yet to know what they feel like. I've only seen what they look like in pics.

I only just recently received my very first Spyderco: The PM2 in satin with black G10 scales. Beautiful knife and way way too much fun to open and close. My fingers are like: "Could you stop?" and my brain is like "Negative Ghost Rider the pattern is full". Whatever that means.

I like the feel and the look of G10. I just wish there were other colors like dark green, british racing green, light green, blue, red or some such. I've seen some videos of the Delica 4 zdp-189 version is british racing green though...and is it just me or does that not look green at all? I'd prefer dark green scales for a change I think the PM2 would look great in those. Or a blue G10 sprint run would be so nice.

The PM2 is my favorite folding knife of all time right now. So easy to open and close I can open and close it one handed now about a half dozen different ways.
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

I don't think it would be much lighter than G10, and it would likely feature the same nested liners which would make it function almost, if not identically. That, and the cost of making moulds for the FRN could actually cause it to be more expensive, at least in the short term.

For me personally, I like the PM2 (And Military for that matter) exactly how they are. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My vote is "No".
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, I'm not sure it would be an improvement. Especially if the FRN version had a closed back like the Manix. The Para 2 is just so good already, and the hopefully upcoming fluted CF would probably be nearly as lightweight as FRN too.
:bug-red-white
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Meh... Not sure really. I would have to see it first. If I need a 3.5 frn folder I have my Stretch.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Experimentalist

Post by Experimentalist »

Oh and I forgot to mention I think the G10 scales look more professional than the more plastic-like and cheaper looking FRN and FRCP scales I've seen. I'd just like to see more color choices for the PM2.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

PM2 in Midnight Blue and s110v!
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

bearfacedkiller wrote:Meh... Not sure really. I would have to see it first. If I need a 3.5 frn folder I have my Stretch.
Also this.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Absolutely. I love my PM2 but almost every day I wish it were thinner, lighter. The FRCP coming out of Golden is spectacular. I haven't handled the Native 5 Lightweight yet but the Manix 2 Lightweight is excellent. I don't really like the full size Manix but I've considered buying the lightweight many times. Make it available in black or dark green, or **** in S110V and dark blue to match the Native & Manix. Just one thing: keep it S30V or S35VN. I wish the Manix 2 Lightweight were S30V or S35VN to match the Native (call me OCD), I see no reason why the Manix should get a lower-end steel than the Native, and would hope to see a PM2 Lightweight include a premium steel like S30V.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Experimentalist wrote:I've seen some videos of the Delica 4 zdp-189 version is british racing green though...and is it just me or does that not look green at all? I'd prefer dark green scales for a change I think the PM2 would look great in those.
In person, it's a very handsome dark green. Youtube videographers don't always have the best lighting. ;)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

I think the PM2 is perfect just the way it is, I like the feel of G10 and the solid heft as is.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
mastiff

Post by mastiff »

I think it would be more easily accomplished than with the Manix 2. One liner on the lock side with a small liner on the non lock side for the stop pin would work I'm sure. You could even cut the lock side liner down spine to front to delete even more steel. You could end up with a sub 3 oz PM2, which would be awesome. The lock on the Manix 2 would be more of a problem as far as dirt or foreign objects with the closed back design while the PM2 would have little to no problem with just a small opening at the back. Another option for a sub $100 USA made Spyderco folder would be great too.

If it was so costly, why do it with the Manix 2? The lock would be more difficult to engineer around than what is essentially the sliver of steel on the Compression Lock. They had to add a block of steel in the spine of the handle, something that wouldn't be needed with the PM2. Benchmade already uses half liners with the Grip series, but the full size grip is only 2 grams lighter than the PM2 with full liners. I've noticed that Spyderco has a knack when it comes to beating the competition when it comes to weight savings, I'd be willing to bet that they could beat that weight easily, probably by an ounce or more.

I've been thinking about this since I got home and opened the package, comparing the Manix 2 LW to the PM2. The PM2 IMHO would be even better than the Manix 2 LW. That's coming from a guy who likes the Manix 2 (I have 3 now) over the PM2 (I only have 1 PM2). I would bet that the sales on a FRCP PM2 would be great if it was under $100. The Manix 2 LW is around $75-$80 while the G-10 version is $85-$90 at most places, yet the translucent blue version for $10 cheaper is almost always sold out. I can almost always get the G-10 version any day of the week. I'd bet a FRCP PM2 would be the same way. People aren't usually like me (buying a more expensive version first), they buy the cheaper version then move up. I have to get to bed right now but I'll look tomorrow and see how this is turning out.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I really like FRN for its toughness and how it feels in my hand. I voted yes.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Nope.Is perfect as it is.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Not sure just thinking of it. I'll probably need to hold it before I find out if I like it or not since only the military can top my paras at this point in time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If they did it like the Manix LW, with minimalistic liners around the pivot, absolutely. Not sure if it would dethrone my Manix though.
Jason B.

Post by Jason B. »

I voted yes,

Truthfully, I am not that big a fan of G10, it gets very smoth and shiny in just a few short years and loses its rough texture in just a few short weeks. The bi-directional texture of the the FRN on my Endura for example is still far more positive of a grip in my hand than most any G10 scaled folder years after purchase.

I like to use my knives pretty hard and I have found better grip from the FRN than any G10, my $0.02

I would prefer the Millie too, as a lefty I find the compression lock awkward.
BTG

Post by BTG »

No, and out of all my spyderco's ( around 100) the translucent blue Manix is the only one I want to get rid of....it's my only FRCP and my only wire clipped knife....don't like either, it's gotta go.

Although FRN would be OK, I voted no, just because of of the FRCP being lumped together with it...FRN feels and looks nice to me...FRCP to me feels dry, Brittle...no problems or proof..just a feel, or perception...probably just me, same with wire clips..I just don't like the look, even though they cost more, and are harder to produce than the stamped clips, to me they just make beautiful knives look cheap.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

No. Don't mess with perfection. ;)