What if you won the lottery or a sweepstakes ?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

What if you won the lottery or a sweepstakes ?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I'm just curious: If any of you here "won" the lottery, or, received a massive amount of money via a sweepstakes or related thing, what would you do with the portion you got to keep and do whatever you want with?

Myself, honestly, I would do massive charity efforts, and fund the development of new steel alloy creations and knife designs, buy several of every Spyderco knife ever made, and, get the Glesser family alot of gifts =)
VashHash

Re: What if you won the lottery or a sweepstakes ?

Post by VashHash »

Probably get a nice house, set up a Forge /knife making area, buy a lot of spydercos probably do a run of knives for the forum too. I mean i could afford to buy enough knives for a dealer setup. Contact a few custom makers. Put the rest in savings to live off interest.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

We have some family that could use some help. My wife and I would probably do more traveling. I'm sure there are some local charities that we would like to help.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd probably start some kind of small business that I enjoy doing that would keep be busy in place of a job. I'm not one of those people who say they'd keep their job if they hit the lottery but I'd need something constructive to do everyday.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Well, it kinda depends on the amount, but if it was enough... I'd buy 100 acres of coastal property in Hawaii where I could build a nice little house and grow our own fruits and vegetables (there are a lot more details, but that's the gist of it)

Ken
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

kbuzbee wrote:Well, it kinda depends on the amount, but if it was enough... I'd buy 100 acres of coastal property in Hawaii where I could build a nice little house and grow our own fruits and vegetables (there are a lot more details, but that's the gist of it)

Ken

Yeah...land....I would buy obscene amounts of land somewhere...so much that it would take a truck to drive around and survey it. I hear Bush Jr's ranch in TX is around this size.

THEN, and this is the best part....I'd buy a monster truck and drive around raising **** :cool:
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Evil D wrote: THEN, and this is the best part....I'd buy a monster truck and drive around raising **** :cool:
Like you, I would probably be "that neighbor," where explosions and other random crazy events make people shake their heads.

"Did he just have a jet flyover to kick off his annual dizzy bat tournament?" "Yes, dear, appears so..."
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Well obviously I'd buy a lot of Spydercos...like all of them. Then a house to keep them in. Nothing too big, something I can maintain with a big yard for my dog. Speaking of which, I'd adopt one or two more friends for her to play with and give heavily to the rescue organizations. Then I'd need a truck, a new car (probably a BMW), a couple classics (a 69-70 Corvette and a ZL1 Camaro), a Z06 Corvette (probably a C8), and a SUV for the dogs. Ok now I need a big garage, so tack that on. Then I'd probably quit my job and focus on finishing school as fast as possible so I can get a job I really want and be the best at it. I'd certainly help out the family and my good friends and everyone that's helped me along the way. Then I'd buy a fishing boat, maybe around 26 feet, and get all my new Salts dirty!
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Donate 10% to charity. Buy a high-end watch. Put the rest away in the bank, and live off the interest.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I would go Sprint Car racing.. World of Outlaws circuit.. John
Not all who wander are lost!!!

Of all the paths you take in life...
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!! ;)
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Interesting question and one I have considered of late. Recently leased some land to gas companies. They will almost certainly drill and there is a potential of discovery and production. Royalties could be significant. None of that is HIGH probability but its high enough that I have played the mental video tape all the way through. Here's the thing though. I honestly cannot think of one thing that I would change about my life or buy if I had unlimited funds. Nothing. I don't need anything that I don't have and I can't imagine buying anything that would change my level of contentment with life.

Now at first glance that probably seems like a wonderful state of mind...and I guess it is. It tells me that I am living a good life and am at least doing something right. On the other hand it is almost a frightening feeling. Because there is no more illusion. There is no more nursing the idea of "if i just had more of this or that...THEN i would be happy". It is a recognition of truth that I am just ok and that nothing external can change that. I guess the frightening part is the acceptance of reality. The reality that "this is as good as it gets". And it only stays good if I take care of my own mental and spiritual condition. There is no more hoping for external events to come along and fix my mess.

Ok, ok. Sorry for waxing philosophical. Thats probably way more answer than what I should have given to a light hearted question. So to answer the question "What would I do with the money if I won the lottery?" What would I do with it? I would probably be scared of it.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I would invest most of it and travel. Live off the equivalent amount of interest to about $6,000 a month.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

R.e.t.i.r.e...

TedP
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

After gifting some to family/acquaintances, I would likely quit my day job and do knife making full time (i.e. purchase a few 2x72 grinders (Burr King), a decent mill, CNC, and an oven for heat-treating). Nothing too fancy. ;)
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ok this is not fair!!! I need to know how much money I actually won........what are we talking about.....if it's 1,000s then I'm not doing nothing...still grow those tomatoes from seed on my front lawn....if we talking 10,000s, I might just buy those tomatoes plants already started....If we talking 100,000s, might buy a tomato farm.....now if it's 1,000,000s...then I'll just pay you to bring fresh tomatoes to my house each day....anything above that....I'd probably spend all of it in 48 hours on frivolous nonsense and just skip the whole tomato thingy....Doc:)