I Was Wrong

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
morgaj1

I Was Wrong

Post by morgaj1 »

A few weeks ago, I started a post asking why people seemed to enjoy the larger Spyderco's, such as the PM2, Military and Manix 2. I usually look for gentleman's folders with blade lengths 3" and smaller. Well, I decided to do a little horse-trading and ended up with a used Gayle Bradley. I have a Bradley Air and really like the M4 steel. So, I decided to give the Bradley a try. Let me just say that I am more than impressed. The cutting ability of a large folder is amazing. I finally have a knife that I can get my entire hand around. Before the GB, I always removed the pocket clip from any knife that I bought. I now see that, with a pocket clip, the weight of a larger blade really doesn't matter. Now, I just need to find a deal on a PM2. See what you guys have started?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It takes some adjustment, but I find that something around 3.5-3.75 in blade length is ideal for EDC. You can make due with less but if you don't have to I don't see why you'd want to.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Welcome to the world of even more Spydies :D
Future plans: Spend all your money on large and smaller folders like the rest of us :p

We're doomed if there's ever a new PM2, Manix, Endura or something similar.
One of those models you have to have...

You just can't have too many (or enough) Spyderco's :D
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Nate

Post by Nate »

Your observation on weight is interesting. I have Para2's and Militaries, but for some reason stayed away from the Bradley because I thought it would be too heavy.

I might have to reconsider, but then again the Bradley2 is apparently in the works now, which sounds like it may be just right...
:spyder:
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

I usually carry four knives of different size my favorite knife of all time is the Caly 3.5 then I carry a Case Peanut or 087 a Jester on my keychain and a large German Eye lock back Sodbuster in my back pocket. All these knives are so perfectly suited to the way I carry them that you don't even realize they are there.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Apophis wrote:Your observation on weight is interesting. I have Para2's and Militaries, but for some reason stayed away from the Bradley because I thought it would be too heavy.

I might have to reconsider, but then again the Bradley2 is apparently in the works now, which sounds like it may be just right...
Weight definitely registers more if you carry loose in your pocket, at least that's how it works for me. Second to that is how loose your clothes fit and how active you're gonna be while in those clothes....so if you wear jeans and are going about casually, you can probably carry a 10oz knife clipped in your pocket and it won't be THAT noticeable, but if you carry a 4oz knife in mesh fabric running shorts and go out running, it's gonna flop around all over the place and pull your shorts down. I think the OP went from carrying the Air without a clip to carrying the GB with a clip, and the clip has the ability to keep the weight planted on your hip so you don't notice it as much. If you've ever carried a handgun for any length of time, you'll know that carrying loose in your front pocket vs. on a hip holster is a whole different world regardless of what the weight is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bh49

Post by bh49 »

morgaj1 wrote: I usually look for gentleman's folders with blade lengths 3" and smaller.
If you like gents folders and now got a taste for larger blade, try to find original bolstered black micarta (or red polished G10) C83 Persian. you can kill two birds with one stone. I carry this knife since August 2006 and still love it. 3mm blade and still a great slicer. Ergos are phenomenal. Looks good too.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I prefer the smaller knives but the handles tend to be similar in size. In most knives a 2.7-3" blade is almost a 3-finger grip and I have pretty small hands.
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

morgaj1 wrote:See what you guys have started?
You're welcome.

It is a slippery slope.

My recommendation is for your safety, please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside and enjoy the ride.
"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
nccole

Post by nccole »

Evil D wrote:It takes some adjustment, but I find that something around 3.5-3.75 in blade length is ideal for EDC. You can make due with less but if you don't have to I don't see why you'd want to.
That is exactly my thoughts too. Throw the Military in there as the one 4" blade I carry, and the Domino and Sage's as the other specturm of what I carry, but the 3.5" mark is a sweet spot.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Evil D wrote:Weight definitely registers more if you carry loose in your pocket, at least that's how it works for me. Second to that is how loose your clothes fit and how active you're gonna be while in those clothes....so if you wear jeans and are going about casually, you can probably carry a 10oz knife clipped in your pocket and it won't be THAT noticeable, but if you carry a 4oz knife in mesh fabric running shorts and go out running, it's gonna flop around all over the place and pull your shorts down. I think the OP went from carrying the Air without a clip to carrying the GB with a clip, and the clip has the ability to keep the weight planted on your hip so you don't notice it as much. If you've ever carried a handgun for any length of time, you'll know that carrying loose in your front pocket vs. on a hip holster is a whole different world regardless of what the weight is.
You hit the nail on the head. I often carry my folders loose in the pocket and was automatically factoring that in without even really thinking about it (loose vs. clipped carry). I can carry the Military loose in jeans/some shorts with out much issue (not running around or anything), but at 5.5oz vs. the Millie's 4.2, the Bradley seemed like it would be a bit much. Now that you point it out though, the difference in terms of clipped carry would be much less dramatic.
:spyder:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I prefer a knife around 3.5 inches for my EDC but I find any knife between 2.75 and 3.5 inches to be ideal for me. I carry a Delica4, a Sage3, a Native5, a Leek and most of all a Para2 for my most common EDC knives. They all make me very happy. I carry my Military less often as I find it a little large for EDC. The Para2 is my all time favorite. If I need to carry a nicer knife it is usually my CF Sage3 or my R Nishijin which I also love a lot. The only little big knife that I really carry is a cricket in my watch pocket once in a while.

I am picky about weight and have been hesitant to buy a GB as well. I just love the weight of my Para2.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
morgaj1

Post by morgaj1 »

Evil D wrote:Weight definitely registers more if you carry loose in your pocket, at least that's how it works for me. Second to that is how loose your clothes fit and how active you're gonna be while in those clothes....so if you wear jeans and are going about casually, you can probably carry a 10oz knife clipped in your pocket and it won't be THAT noticeable, but if you carry a 4oz knife in mesh fabric running shorts and go out running, it's gonna flop around all over the place and pull your shorts down. I think the OP went from carrying the Air without a clip to carrying the GB with a clip, and the clip has the ability to keep the weight planted on your hip so you don't notice it as much. If you've ever carried a handgun for any length of time, you'll know that carrying loose in your front pocket vs. on a hip holster is a whole different world regardless of what the weight is.
Ding, ding, ding. You said this much better than I could have. When carrying loose, I shoot for a knife 3oz or less. Since I am most often in khakis, anything more and the weight is noticeable.
mark jeneson

Post by mark jeneson »

Unless i'm wearing dress pants, I find weight is not an issue for me. I carried my titanium military in my right front pocket and my techno in my coin pocket today. Couldn't really tell unless I thought about it.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Interesting that you've switched to larger knives. I did the opposite and now edc a gentlemens knife with a 3" blade. My hands are pretty big but the small knife feels fine in my big mitts.
TheRaven

Post by TheRaven »

Interesting that you've switched to larger knives. I did the opposite and now edc a gentlemens knife with a 3" blade. My hands are pretty big but the small knife feels fine in my big mitts.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I when the other way as well. I when from carrying a Endura to a dragonfly.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You guys have almost hit it: you need to carry TWO at once, a big one and a little one like these:

Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Sharpdressed man

Post by Sharpdressed man »

Radioactivespyder, you have hit on something i have started do. I carry my Dragonfly Super Blue and my Para 2. Now that is no ordinary PM2. This is a PM2 that you inspired me to put together.

One time you posted a picture of your Para 2 in carbon fiber. I think you took a production S30V and dressed it up in CF. Well, being totally inspired i got a CTS 204p sprint and dressed it up in CF, and now that is one of my favorite EDCs.
Thanks for the inspiration,
Sharp
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Thanks very much Sharp for your kind comments! :) . Please post a pic of your modded PM2, I'd love to see it. Did you get the scales from Ivan at Carbon Fiber Grips?

I just fondled mine again for a while yesterday, strangely enough, after pulling it out after months in its case... I introduced it in my first forum post last year.

Many cheers to you Sharp, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King