I realize this is heresy...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stevekolt

I realize this is heresy...

Post by stevekolt »

My question is as follows: I have a couple sprint run knives, and my normal EDC knife is a "plain vanilla" (black G-10 and S30V) PM2. I am having a hard time wrapping my head around actually using a sprint unless I have a duplicate for it. I realize the VAST majority of fellow Spyderholics will tell me to "just use the darn thing", but am I really the only one with this issue? Flame suit is on and fastened :eek: :D
NRA Lifetime Member
NRA Certified Instructor - Basic Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home
GOA Lifetime Member
Knife Rights Charter Member
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

There are a couple that I have a hard time really using...but for the most part. I might as well use it because a knife in a drawer isn't doing anyone any good. Use or sell...
On the hunt for...
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If you can't bring yourself to use it, at least carry it and a secondary user.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm definitely not the person to ask this question to lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ned

Post by Ned »

Most of my knives are users, even the sprint runs that I have are sharpened. I have a few knives that have never been used; a Civilian, a blue Yojimbo and an Endura SE/Delica SE..I just don't use my SE knives the Civilian for obvios reasons, the Yojimbo because it is a collectable, and the SE knives because I have no means to sharpen them. all of my other knives/sprints see pocket time and sharpening. Whether I use my knives for cutting tasks or just take them out of their boxes and fondle them its all good..
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't think you are the only one who has a problem with using Sprints, but it's a problem I've never really understood.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

If you are not planning on ever selling them, use them as that is the only way to really appreciate the steel differences. If you think you will ever sell them, NIB fetches better returns. I have whittled my small collection down to users and like it better that way. I do still catch and release from time to time
bh49

Post by bh49 »

stevekolt wrote:I realize the VAST majority of fellow Spyderholics will tell me to "just use the darn thing", but am I really the only one with this issue?
I am certainly do not belong to this majority. If I am planing to use sprint, limited or discontinued variant, I am buying at least two. Currently I am reducing quantity of knives, which I own. Still I am keeping back-up of my favorites.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
rescueseven

Post by rescueseven »

`
Although I have couple somewhat rare and special knives, I didn't have a problem having them see some pocket time, including my WTC...

...until now, I'm really finding it difficult to drop this guy in my pocket.

Maybe this will pass, maybe not, we shall see.

R7
"Don't tempt me, I'll do a sprint run of it!" -Eric
"We've been working on this design for 10 years, unsuccessfully." -Sal
WTC #1398 Bless their souls
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I usually use my knives so lightly in my daily tasks, that my users still look new. So, I don't worry much about carrying my sprints. But if I knew I was going to be thrashing on my knife on a particular day, I probably wouldn't take a C81CFPE2.
:bug-red-white
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Some I use, others I don't.
My wife says "You only have two hands, how are you going to use all those knives ?"
So, there you go, I only have two hands & that must mean some knives don't get used. They get used to fondle & talk to.
I have so many that I don't need to use them all.
Like my cars. I have three registered taxed users & can only drive one at a time. I like them all but one is sport another is utility & another is work.
We have two houses & can only live in one & occasionally stay at the other. People constantly say we should rent one out or sell it. But what does that have to do with them ?
The point is they are your knives, use them if you want & don't use them if you don't want to. Some things are just nice to have.
O.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

At one point in time buying duplicates sounded odd, but as the years go by I've seen the same behaviour pretty much everywhere. It's normal.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I used to have the same OCD about beeding to have a duplicate of a sprint before using the knife. That has passed however. When u start using them you realize that they are not fragile and should last forever if treated right. Plus a knife with character is much nicer imo than a new knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I have a few users (such as my trusty Ladybug and Dragonfly2), but the rest are pretty much "take to church/special occasion" non-users. :) Sure, I realize a knife is a knife regardless if it's a Sprint or limited production run, but I guess I just enjoy my knives a bit differently than most folks. I'm a huge fan of design and I love to look at each knife and imagine how many hours the maker put into perfecting that design. In my line of work, the Ladybug is more than sufficient for 96% of my daily cutting needs. I really don't "need" a 3" PM2. Nor do I "need" a NIB discontinued Phoenix. But that doesn't stop me from collecting them. ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

So just don't use them. Problem solved.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I find it difficult at first to use sprints, but it usually doesn't last long.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

xceptnl wrote:I find it difficult at first to use sprints, but it usually doesn't last long.
I've bought a couple sprints used for this reason (plus they were cheaper). I have no problem using my M390 Para 2--because someone else used it first anyway. :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

TomAiello wrote:I've bought a couple sprints used for this reason (plus they were cheaper). I have no problem using my M390 Para 2--because someone else used it first anyway. :)
I totally agree with this. Buying used helps get over the fear of getting that first scratch on it, and it saves money unless it's one of the super desirable sprints. I still baby my green PM2 a little bit because I got it new. Heck it took a while just to summon the courage to adjust the pivot tension because I didn't want to ruin the centering (which it didn't). But really, what's the fun of having a nice knife if you aren't going to use it?
araneae

Post by araneae »

I have very few knives that don't get used. Knives are tools first and art second. To really enjoy a knife, I find that I have to use it. There is something great about a tool that is so well designed that you really love to use it. Not every knife speaks to me when I use it, so maybe I don't really need to keep it. There are so many that look great, but just don't perform in use.

When the only real difference is the steel, the only way you really get to understand why the sprint is special is to use it. Different color G-10 doesn't mean squat. A unique steel, that may really suit your use is often what makes a sprint special. Use it, scratch it up a little, and enjoy. And if you really love it after you use it, buy another...just in case. :)
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
bornagainprimative

Post by bornagainprimative »

I dunno if I could actually find a brown para 2 I'd EDC it
Own: C81GPBN2 x 2
Wanted: FB30GP, FB37GGRP, C180GP, C10FPBN x 2, C11FPBN & FB35PBK and a C204MF most of all!