Modifying the flipper knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Cujobob

Modifying the flipper knives?

Post by Cujobob »

My Southard got some grit in it recently and I couldn't blow it out with compressed air or wash it out, so it had to be taken apart. When doing so I couldn't help but think that the washers and bearings could be upgraded and maybe make for a slightly better action. I didn't find any information on this by Googling, but has anyone been able to put ceramic bearings or better washers in? Ceramic bearings not only make for a better flipper but they offer rust resistance, as well.

Modifying knives seems like the next logical step in my knife sickness.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Check out McMaster or Grainger if you're interested in what's (readily) available. Those are like the engineer's Amazon.

I can't fathom how slight the improvement would be, if the action on mine is any indication.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Any time there's two parts moving against each other you have to think about wear. I would be curious about the ceramic bearings being harder than steel and potentially wearing a groove in the blade. Guys have swapped ceramic bearings into the Manix 2 and I haven't heard any horror stories so it may be ok. My guess is the simple solution would just be to clean out the bearings and put some very light weight grease in them like lithium.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Ceramic bearings in Manix 2? I am officially intrigued. I am not sure how this would be done, as my understanding is that the Manix has traditional washers and does not come with bearings or a raceway from the factory. Does this require machining of the liners to create a track or raceway for the bearings, or am I missing the boat on something?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

dgebler wrote:Ceramic bearings in Manix 2? I am officially intrigued. I am not sure how this would be done, as my understanding is that the Manix has traditional washers and does not come with bearings or a raceway from the factory. Does this require machining of the liners to create a track or raceway for the bearings, or am I missing the boat on something?
Sorry I was referring to the large bearing in the lock, not pivot bearings.

[video=youtube;OXzR1Qum3-g]https://youtu.be/OXzR1Qum3-g#t=100[/video]

There's one out there using a white ball but I can't find pics of vids.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

The opposite is true of steel bearings though, particularly in detents. If it were to get stuck in place by some dirt, the ball could be worn/flattened. Ceramic is harder than steel so perhaps what steel they're being used against is more of a factor. Steel bearings are much softer than hardened steel, aren't they?
Clip

Post by Clip »

Cujobob wrote:The opposite is true of steel bearings though, particularly in detents. If it were to get stuck in place by some dirt, the ball could be worn/flattened. Ceramic is harder than steel so perhaps what steel they're being used against is more of a factor. Steel bearings are much softer than hardened steel, aren't they?
Unless the steel bearings are hardened as well, but in general they're softer. I've replaced the blade detent ball in one of my SnGs with SiC and haven't had any ill effects. Seems like the Strider detent balls wear quite fast.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris