Cpm-M4?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
hawaiihunter

Cpm-M4?

Post by hawaiihunter »

I live in a humid climate, Hawaii. I was wondering if it would be possible to own a Cpm-M4 blade and to keep it in good condition without having to maintain it every day.
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
Clip

Post by Clip »

Yes
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

You'll be fine if you oil it occasionally, it will patina.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think you just need to wipe it off so that it is dry after using it with something wet.

I've read that EVERYTHING rusts in Hawaii, I don't know the extent of that statement. Do "stainless" blades rust for you?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

You should have no worries with CPM M4 near the coast. I have high carbon non-stainless blades in New Zealand that I had had no issues with as long as they are kept clean and dry after use.

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

Donut wrote:I think you just need to wipe it off so that it is dry after using it with something wet.

I've read that EVERYTHING rusts in Hawaii, I don't know the extent of that statement. Do "stainless" blades rust for you?
I carried a 154 cm knife for 5-6 years daily including during long bicycle
rides clipped to the waist ban. Would get soaked in sweat. No problems in Los Angeles. One week in Hawaii and rust developed on parts of it!
nccole

Post by nccole »

WorkingEdge wrote:I carried a 154 cm knife for 5-6 years daily including during long bicycle
rides clipped to the waist ban. Would get soaked in sweat. No problems in Los Angeles. One week in Hawaii and rust developed on parts of it!
What kind of finish did it have? Bead blasted blades of just about any composition will develop surface rust spots from my experience.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

nccole wrote:What kind of finish did it have? Bead blasted blades of just about any composition will develop surface rust spots from my experience.
And I got rust spots on a very nearly polished VG10 blade! I could easily see myself in the reflection (not a pretty sight ;) ) yet it rusted (small spots, but still...). I was kinda shocked.

This knife was not 'put up wet" or roughly stored. It sat in a desk drawer for a little over a year in our living room.

Pretty much anything outside of ceramic or H1 can rust. Regular use and care is the best remedy.

Still, if I were 'coastal' H1 would be my go-to steel.

Ken
玉鋼
WorkingEdge

Post by WorkingEdge »

nccole wrote:What kind of finish did it have? Bead blasted blades of just about any composition will develop surface rust spots from my experience.
Not bead blasted. The normal BM minigrip finish. Rust started at thumb stud so figured probably from screws but did spread to blade.
I actually rusted my GB while sharpening it. Guess I was having a hard time reprofiling and took too long. Bought better stones after that.
paladin

Post by paladin »

kbuzbee wrote:And I got rust spots on a very nearly polished VG10 blade! I could easily see myself in the reflection (not a pretty sight ;) ) yet it rusted (small spots, but still...).
Pretty much anything outside of ceramic or H1 can rust. Regular use and care is the best remedy.

Still, if I were 'coastal' H1 would be my go-to steel.

Ken
Copy that
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
hawaiihunter

Post by hawaiihunter »

I have a tenacious and after not really caring for it for about 6 months, it developed slight surface rust.
Looking for: Grey Cts-20cp Paramilitary 2
Green Cts-204p Paramilitary 2
S110v Mule

Currently own: Tenacious, Green Cts-204P Paramiitary 2
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

There are plenty of other super steels that offer rust resistance, I would stick with one of them.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I live in the tropics, 50 yards from the pacific. I have m4 and superblue folders and have no problem. With the most basic care and very occasional lubrication you'll be fine. I find my users never rust. If I stick em in a drawer for a year, yeah, they will get some light spotting.