Spyderco Double Stuff Pocket Stone

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
this_is_nascar

Spyderco Double Stuff Pocket Stone

Post by this_is_nascar »

Can anyone confirm that the Double Stuff comes with this rigid/tough cowhide/rawhide pouch? I'm ready to pull the trigger on this, but have read a report or two where people say it's a soft/flimsy pouch that can not be used for stropping. I like the way it looks pictured, because I can use the pouch to strop, as someone else suggested.

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=87
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
Jeremy_A_Neel

Post by Jeremy_A_Neel »

Funny. I just bought one a week ago. Yes, the pouch is very soft, almost velvety leather. If I were you, I would get a flexxx strop if I was going to get a strop.
"If you have a difficult task, give it to a lazy person - they will find an easier way to do it." -Hlade's Law
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I had the doublestuff stone and the leather case was capable of being used as a strop. I guess you could even spray some fine grit diamond spray on the back side. Something that when dries doesn't rub off on clothes or anything else. I can't think of a better stone to use regarding portability and performance. I let mine go only because I never do anything that would require sharpening on the go. If I were still working and might need a small stone on the job I would still have it.

Jack
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Afaik the newer ones have soft pouches. Both types could be treated with Diamond or other abrasive paste and be used as a strop when placed on something flat
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

My 303F (like just the "fine" half of the double stuff) came in a stiffer leather pouch like that picture (I purchased it first, quite awhile ago), but both of my 303MF double stuff's came in a softer leather pouch, more like suede. I think it may have been "CQI", Constant Quality Improvement, and the version you get may depend on the stock at your particular dealer. Both versions of pouch work well enough.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I have the doublestuff for several years now and it came in the stiff durable raw cowhide. Nowadays they are shipped in this soft suede-stuff pouches which is IMHO not an CQI (what a wonderful term to make us believe) but a little money-saving decision, no offense ;) , but let's stay realistic. Couple of years ago I made a couple of leather pouches myself for the double stuff with a strop inside. I made two, one I gave Sal and one I use myself. Keeping the strop inside keeps your bags and pockets clear from stropping compound and other stuff you put on. On the other hand, it also keeps you strop clean from all kind of coarser grit stuff you want to grind your knife with.
Tom
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

I have the doublestuff for several years now and it came in the stiff durable raw cowhide. Nowadays they are shipped in this soft suede-stuff pouches which is IMHO not an CQI (what a wonderful term to make us believe) but a little money-saving decision, no offense ;) , but let's stay realistic. Couple of years ago I made a couple of leather pouches myself for the double stuff with a strop inside. I made two, one I gave Sal and one I use myself. Keeping the strop inside keeps your bags and pockets clear from stropping compound and other stuff you put on. On the other hand, it also keeps you strop clean from all kind of coarser grit stuff you want to grind your knife with.
Tom
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

Thanks. I was hoping to land one with the better quality (in my opinion) stiff, cowhide/rawhide leather, not the newest style. I do agree, that it's certainly a cost-cutting measure as opposed to an "improvement", etc. Every place I've contacted does not have the version that's pictured on the website, which in my opinion, is a bit misleading. When a product changes, the pictures should change as well, especially from the maker's website.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

They are both pretty inefficient as strops. The problem with using them as loaded strops is you get the paste on other stuff. It would be better to just make a small strop from a piece of leather and put it in a zip lock bag. I'd actually prefer the newer version if I had to chose (I have both). It is slimmer and would probably be a slight better strop since it is flatter.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

I'd not use anything on it. Just a last minute, out in the field, nothing else available, strop. The old pouch allowed that to be possible. From what I hear, the new one does not and even worse, is not reflected on the product page. Someone would go to order the Double Stuff and get something with a different pouch.
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

Unloaded they both suck as strops. It would imho be better to strop on your thigh (if you were wearing trousers ;) )

I can't really imagine an emergency where a 4" unloaded strop would make much of a difference :p
sal

Post by sal »

Actually the pouch that Toomzz made is the best of all worlds as the case has the abrasive for the strop contained. We've used a number of pouches over the years. Some companies stop leave the market or we change for some other reason. It's not a cost thing, they all cost about the same.

sal