P.O.V. Pocket Wear

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DedRok

P.O.V. Pocket Wear

Post by DedRok »

Hey guys, just thought I'd share my jeans with some knife pocket wear. Although theres no Spyderco in there, most of the damage was done by Spydercos... particularly ones with G10 on them. These pants are about 2-3 years old and most of the Damage is from the Paramilitary 2 & Manix 2.

I am proud of my wear. :D

The Knife: ZT 0777

Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Holland

Post by Holland »

3 year old denim? thats dedication :D nice knife
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

You definitely don't just carry your knives! That's alot of shredding, or is the G10 that grippy? I carry my frn models the most!
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

eric m. wrote:You definitely don't just carry your knives! That's alot of shredding, or is the G10 that grippy? I carry my frn models the most!
I think after a couple years the linen just started to tear. Once you have a small hole it starts to tear at an accelerated rate. It's mostly from G10.... My waved Delica may have done some good damage too.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

DedRok wrote:I think after a couple years the linen just started to tear. Once you have a small hole it starts to tear at an accelerated rate. It's mostly from G10.... My waved Delica may have done some good damage too.
That looks fairly normal for G-10 shredding.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

In terms of wear and tear on pockets, I've noticed that peel-ply G-10 seems to be the main culprit due to its "grippy-ness." Smoother handle materials don't seem to be as much of an issue. Of course, the amount of tension on the pocket clip also plays a factor on wear too. For example, I have a CQCW-7 Emerson which has an extremely tight pocket clip. If I carried it every day, I'm afraid it would likely wear out the pocket of my jeans in about a week! :(
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

My jeans usually don't last anywhere near 3 years. After a year or so, I have gun barrels poking through, shredded pockets everywhere, belt loops falling off, coins falling through my pockets down the pants and into my shoes. Maybe I should get better pants? No, never mind, that money could buy more knives!
:bug-red-white
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

SpyderNut wrote:In terms of wear and tear on pockets, I've noticed that peel-ply G-10 seems to be the main culprit due to its "grippy-ness." Smoother handle materials don't seem to be as much of an issue. Of course, the amount of tension on the pocket clip also plays a factor on wear too. For example, I have a CQCW-7 Emerson which has an extremely tight pocket clip. If I carried it every day, I'm afraid it would likely wear out the pocket of my jeans in about a week! :(
I also find the inside corners of some pocket clips are sharp enough that they can be like a scraper against the pocket seam, even on full Ti framelocks.
*Landon*
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

gbelleh wrote:My jeans usually don't last anywhere near 3 years. After a year or so, I have gun barrels poking through, shredded pockets everywhere, belt loops falling off, coins falling through my pockets down the pants and into my shoes. Maybe I should get better pants? No, never mind, that money could buy more knives!
That's the truth for me to! I want to get 2 years out of my jeans so I carry frn and titanium slabbed knives the most! My keys poke the holes in my pocketd so I can't carry change in them anymore! :)
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

gbelleh wrote:My jeans usually don't last anywhere near 3 years. After a year or so, I have gun barrels poking through, shredded pockets everywhere, belt loops falling off, coins falling through my pockets down the pants and into my shoes. Maybe I should get better pants? No, never mind, that money could buy more knives!
I've worn Levis my entire life, and have never had holes in my pockets. Give the Levi 599 a chance, they work well for me (besides the knives ripping them up)
LDphifty

Post by LDphifty »

carhartt's canvas work pants go well with anything with clips. the wider cuffs are pretty rigid so theyre durable and the clips slide right over the seam.
this_is_nascar

Post by this_is_nascar »

What the **** are you guys doing to your jeans? My Wrangler's are at least 8-years old and still are not torn or shredded.
"The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". --- Wayne LaPierre 12/21/2012
RanCoWeAla

Post by RanCoWeAla »

Just curious but what kind of jeans are we talking about here because I wear Levi's too carry a Caly 3.5 with Black G10 every day without any problem with wear whatsoever. I bought several pairs of jeans at Dillard's five or six years ago. There was a pair of Levi's a pair of Red Camel and a pair of Nautica. I really liked the Nautica but they worn completely out in about 18-24 months as were the Red Camel but I still have a pair of the Levi's.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Levis never seem to fit me very well for some reason, so lately I've been wearing mostly Wrangler. I carry a lot of stuff. About 8 pounds of stuff in my jeans every day. 2 guns, 2 or 3 knives, wallet, keys, phone, flashlight, and any loose change, etc.

The big hole is from my main carry gun, the shredding is from my main carry knife.

This big torn mess is from my EDC flashlight.

DedRok

Post by DedRok »

LDphifty wrote:carhartt's canvas work pants go well with anything with clips. the wider cuffs are pretty rigid so theyre durable and the clips slide right over the seam.
I work in the electrical trade, and wear carharrts (not the jean versions, the ones with metal rivots at most seems) and yes they are pretty **** strong. The knees will go first, and other than that wire snags or random construction junk will make little snags but I have very little knife rips.

I don't wear carhartts out in my daily life outside of work though.

My Carhartts
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

DedRok wrote:The Knife: ZT 0777

Nice 0777. One of very few non-Spydies that I've been tempted to purchase.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

gbelleh wrote:Levis never seem to fit me very well for some reason, so lately I've been wearing mostly Wrangler. I carry a lot of stuff. About 8 pounds of stuff in my jeans every day. 2 guns, 2 or 3 knives, wallet, keys, phone, flashlight, and any loose change, etc.

The big hole is from my main carry gun, the shredding is from my main carry knife.

This big torn mess is from my EDC flashlight.

Is there a war going on in Kansas that I don't know about?! Or are you just waiting for Red Dawn to begin? Lol!!! I will sleep better at night now brother! ;)
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

eric m. wrote:Is there a war going on in Kansas that I don't know about?! Or are you just waiting for Red Dawn to begin? Lol!!! I will sleep better at night now brother! ;)
The only war is the battle for pocket time among all these great knives, etc. What can I say, I just really like all the stuff I carry around. And it's good to be prepared for anything I guess. So far, the only casualty has been my pants.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

gbelleh wrote:The only war is the battle for pocket time among all these great knives, etc. What can I say, I just really like all the stuff I carry around. And it's good to be prepared for anything I guess. So far, the only casualty has been my pants.
I like this alot. Think I'm going to quote this in my signature line.
*Landon*
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

These are the only pants I own that I have found to be tough enough for my daily carry. The doubled up material over the pockets really helps, but it's still only a matter of time.
Kuhl Rydr pants = $80 +/-

These are over a year old +/- and see weekly wear.
*Landon*