NEXT Spyderco, can not decide between Native, or Delica

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
akapennypincher

NEXT Spyderco, can not decide between Native, or Delica

Post by akapennypincher »

What would you choose, or WHY?

This Delicia.

Or

This Native.

Don't have the resources for both.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Native. Way better. Just because that's my opinion :)

I prefer the no thumb ramp. Find it far far faar more comfortable.
On the hunt for...
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

It's tough to answer that without knowing what you intend to use the knife for. :)

For myself, however, I would personally lean more towards the Delica (FRN) simply because it's a slimmer design, has SS liners, features four-way pocket clip carry options, has a screw-together construction, and is FFG vs. hollow-ground. Now, there's nothing wrong with the Native (FRN), but it just doesn't have all the features that that Delica has. Just my .02. :)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
3rdGenRigger

Post by 3rdGenRigger »

SpyderNut wrote:It's tough to answer that without knowing what you intend to use the knife for. :)

For myself, however, I would personally lean more towards the Delica (FRN) simply because it's a slimmer design, has SS liners, features four-way pocket clip carry options, has a screw-together construction, and is FFG vs. hollow-ground. Now, there's nothing wrong with the Native (FRN), but it just doesn't have all the features that that Delica has. Just my .02. :)
Completely agree...if I had to have one or the other (I have an old style FRN Native, and I bought my dad a Delica 4 with ZDP-189 and have handled and used it a bit) it'd be the Delica 4 hands down. That said though...I recently bought a black Manix 2 lightweight, and am VERY impressed with the ergonomics thus far, and enjoy the ball bearing lock a lot more than I was expecting. It's reasonably comparable on price, and makes a nice small step up in size from the Delica, without being as large as an Endura.
All Glory To The Hypno-Toad

---> Branden
mrphotoman

Post by mrphotoman »

I like my thin, light delica the best and believe it or not my byrd cara cara 2 next.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I'm a fan of the Delica, but the Native has 'higher end' steel, if you're interested.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
araneae

Post by araneae »

I would go for the delica in FFG.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Between the two models, my Delica has seen way more pocket time than the Native. But they're both good knives. It just happens that the Delica fits my hand better than the Native does.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Andre

Post by Andre »

I have the same issue as you my friend, i just can't decide.
But are you talking about the native 4 or the 5?
Because the 5 is said to be wonderfully made (and US made).
Also it has the s35vn steel wich is kind of the successor of the s30vn i've been told.
I am probably gonna go for the native 5, because i already have some vg10 blades and because i have no american made knives so far...
If you had to pick between the native 4 and the delica, i would go delica!
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

akapennypincher,
I'm not sure I am the best person to answer as I have the byrd Meadowlark II instead of the the Delica, but they are very similar knives. I love my Native FRN quite a bit more than my Meadowlark II, but I do realize that the Delica has better fit and finish than the Meadowlark II. They both fit my hand well, but the Native FRN fits my hand perfectly. It is also a very good tough knife that I don't baby. Sometimes it would be nice to have a FFG blade like the Native 5, but that isn't what you are choosing between.
(In the link it has the Native FRN SE and the black Delica in CE)
I personally do not like a partially serrated blade, and with the blade on the Delica even more so as it is a rather small it doesn't leave you with much blade in either SE or PE.
That said, I am planning on getting a grey Delica in PE sometime in the future.
Unless you are planning to mainly slicing jobs, I would say the Native FRN would be a slightly better choice especially with the S30V steel, but you really can't go wrong with either.
Good luck!
greyhulk

Post by greyhulk »

How about the Delica zdp-189..
You get lightweight and a super steel in a great knife..
I have all the zdp line-up and I EDC the Delica the most..
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Delica 4, the platform is more refined, also screw together construction and VG10 is one of my favourite steels.

That being said the native is a solid knife so you really can't go wrong.

Flip a coin.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

If you are wanting teeth rather than a plain edge (judging by the models linked), I'd suggest a full serrated edge rather than a "half pregnant" combo edge. To all intents and purposes the combo edge Native is a full serrated edge more than a combo edge in my opinion.

With teeth, I'd take the Native. Teeth usually are used in harder work and I think the Native "sits" in my hand better for hard work.

If you are intent on a combo edge or a black PE, I'd take the Delica. If you start heading to plain edge and it doesn't need to be a black coated blade, look at the Cento 3 before you make a final call.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I prefer Native to Delica for couple reasons. I prefer knives with finger choil and Native's ergos are better for my hand. Also, I always love to see made in US.
Manix2 LW was already mentioned. It is in the same price range and great knife as well. I would take it over delica or FRN Native. I have soft spot for FFG.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
akapennypincher

Post by akapennypincher »

Use would be EDC, nothing special, but LEANING toward the Native because of the THICKER BLADE!
avocadobbq

Post by avocadobbq »

I'm waiting for the native 5 lightweight. Who knows when it will come out though, last I heard Sal was carrying the final prototype.

Also s35 was made to be easier to manufacture than s30v, it's not necessarily better or worse.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I'm not a fan of partial serrations so I guess I'd choose the Native over the Delica in the configurations you've selected. But I'm a huge Delica fan. The handle ergos are perfect for me. If I were you I'd pick up the Superblue Delica right now!
Divo

Post by Divo »

If you need to choose between:

- A woman with one left eye only.
- A woman with one right eye only.

Don't have the resources for both.

What would you choose?

:rolleyes:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
My needs, preferences and recommendations can be totally different from yours. Why you ask people this without any reference?

Its totally irrelevant what we want or wish.
What you want matters only.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Until we see a revised Native5 Lightweight, IMHO, the Delica is a far more comfortable and advanced offering.
NorthernPanda

Native gets my vote.

Post by NorthernPanda »

For me it would be the native. The ergonomics of the delica don't work FOR ME, it is just too skinny when I wrap my hand around it. I would make sure you handle both the native and delica and see which feels better to you. Both are great knifes though!
Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. ― Mark Twain

EDC: 2013 Forum Native:spyder: .or. Resilience and SC52w flashlight - Lovin' it.