New Izula, any owners here?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Clip

New Izula, any owners here?

Post by Clip »

I've been thinking about getting an Izula for quite a while now. Originally it was going to be a black, tan, or gray but I've really started to like the loud venom green that's available. When I went to check a few dealers, I saw they had an Alabama Damascus Izula coming out pretty soon. I don't keep close tabs on RAT/ESEE knives so I'm not sure how long this has been in the works, but I'm loving the look of it. Anyone have pics of their Izulas?

Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

To pretty! :)

My Izula 2 that my son used to win a Izula on the Esee forum. Made a 1 stick fire with little help for me.

The winner with the winning knife.

The Izula is a very capable knife. Great product!
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Awesome.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been talking about getting one for years. I don't think I've ever heard a bad word spoken about them, aside from maybe the coating hindering slicing a bit, but let's be honest, it's not a knife designed for slicing.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Rwb, a coworker years ago had one and I've been thinking about them ever since.

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Invective

Post by Invective »

I've got one. Stripped the coating off of it and gave it a nice patina. Then I realized I don't go backpacking enough to use it so it's been sitting in my room for about a year. Get it out every now and then to play with it. Their 1095 is really amazing though, got bored one night (when I was admittedly pretty drunk) and hammered it through a penny. No damage to the knife and it would still slice through paper.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Heres mine, stripped it, stonewashed and etched, also made the tip more aggressive. I don't use it often, its too much work keeping the rust at bay.

I see, said the blind man.
Bladekeeper

Post by Bladekeeper »

No pics I'm afraid but I have the izula 2 which with the scales and the extra length is a better knife IMO .
I have a candiru too lovely little knife although pricey , here the izula 2 is over $100 , but I say I pay for one knife and the replacement if ever it needs it.
A lot of people don't like the coating I have the dessert tan izula 2 and green candiru and those coatings are thinner than the black , I'm sure of it.
But many strip it , Esse are doing a SS range but 440c for the price isn't good enough for me spyderco manage much better steel for the cost.
But they are great knives for whittling etc and hard use try and get a hands on of the 2 and see if you prefer it.
ginsuwarrior

Post by ginsuwarrior »

I had a Becker BK 14, which I believe has the same handle length/profile as the Izula 1, which for me was too small for extended usage.

The Spyderco ENUFF series solved that problem for me, similar blade to Izula/BK 14 (a bit shorter and more extreme distal taper) but MUCH better handle.

Don't know about that Damascus one....but I do like 1095...also the Becker BK 14 is know available in D2 steel.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I agree about the 2 over the 1 unless you are going to pocket carry. The 2 is a better knife hands down. I traded mine and wish I didn't. It sat perfect on my falcon 2 when hiking.

Pockets

Post by Pockets »

[ATTACH]22628[/ATTACH][ATTACH]22629[/ATTACH]

I picked the Izula over the Izula II because I tend to pocket carry it.
Attachments
Knorway2.jpg
Knorway1.jpg
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
Clip

Post by Clip »

Pocket carry is the reason I'm thinking about the Izula I. Also, I've been drooling at the thought of getting one of the Damascus Izulas and putting some slim CF scales on it.

Chris
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I have a couple of Izulas :)

I also have a stripped one not in the picture. For pocket carry, the original Izula (or even the Candiru) is excellent. For belt carry or strapped to a pack, the extra handle length of the Izula II is more comfortable to me, for extended carving/whittling sessions, but the Izula I works great too and is more compact.

I got my damascus Izula awhile ago, and put some TKC wood scales on it, I think it does look good :) . They had sold out of that initial run of the damascus, I wasn't sure if they were making another run or not.

1095 steel does rust if not cared for, but it sharpens quite easily, and ya gotta love ESEE's warranty.

I think Spyderco's Enuff is pretty competitive with the Izula II, it costs more but is stainless, and for me is also very comfortable in the hand.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Clip

Post by Clip »

That awesome venom green!

It looks like BRK is doing another run of the Damascus, do you have any closer pictures of that one?

Chris
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Clip wrote:That awesome venom green!

It looks like BRK is doing another run of the Damascus, do you have any closer pictures of that one?
At the moment, I just have this one next to an ESEE 4 with TKC replacement scales:
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
Truckie453

Post by Truckie453 »

I love my Izula so much that I bought one for each of my boys. One is two and other is seven months old. Of course it will be a while till they get them. My work EDC is an Izula with a delica 4. The delica is perfect for fine work and the Izula for everything else.

Esee makes great fixed blades and their forums, just like on here, they attract good people.
-Vinny

The things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most. People are good; honor, courage, virtue mean everything; power and money mean nothing; good always triumphs over evil; true love never dies. A man should believe in those things, because they are worth believing in.

:spyder: endura (lost)
:spyder: dragonfly
:spyder: Gayle Bradley
:spyder: Para 2
:spyder: Purple Delica 4 (lost)
:spyder: Yojimbo 2
:spyder: Orange Delica 4
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Truckie453 wrote:Esee makes great fixed blades and their forums, just like on here, they attract good people.
+1 on that!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I like the feel of the Izula-II with micarta scales about the best. The blade shape on the Candiru looks great, but I haven't gotten to handle one yet. There's something about the quality you feel when you pick up one of the ESEEs, it's like the quality you feel when you pick up a Spyderco (I don't get this feeling with all knife brands). Maybe it's just the micarta, I dunno. An ESEE 6 is probably my ultimate big outdoors knife, with the 4 being the smaller alternative I'd choose for backpacking.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

Love for the 4!

Clip

Post by Clip »

357, I've got a RAT 4 as well. Love it. I like the look of the old logo a lot better :)

Chris
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've had one in my hand no less than 3 times at the knife shop ready to buy, and bought a Spyderco instead LOL. I just don't ever see myself EDC'ing a fixed blade of any size (maybe a Minimalist) so for my money a folder is almost always the better buy. Still, I have this constant urge to buy one every time I see pics. I'd like to see them produced in more modern steels though, like 3V or something.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David