Greetings + Custom PM2 CF Scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RadioactiveSpyder

Greetings + Custom PM2 CF Scales

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting to the forum after reading with interest many of your great stories and insights since I was first introduced to Spyderco at the end of last year (I'm sad it took that long to find out about them!). To Sal and the Spydercrew, I must first begin by saying a big thank you for creating some of the most fantastic tools I have had the pleasure of holding in my hand! I've been wondering that perhaps you've been slipping some kind of super-addictive chemical into your G10, but that theory was squashed when I discovered that I couldn't resist anything made with carbon fiber, titanium, micarta, or any other scale material you use very well either! Perhaps it's something in the steels, I'll have to keep investigating :cool: ... Second, I've been hugely impressed by the comradery and kindness of the forum members and the special community you've created around this addiction (you know you're all sort of an anti-AA group for knives!).

I couldn't wait to post something any longer because I wanted to share some pics with you all of a custom CF scale black DLC PM2 I recently assembled with the help of a very industrious engineering grad student at nearby Stony Brook University that has a very cool side job. I came across Ivan and his scale-making hobby while surfing the 'bay and discovered he lived nearby me on Long Island (he has his own website, I won't post the address here to obey forum rules, but if you google the last three words of my Dropbox album title, it's the first result that comes up...). After chatting by phone, he agreed to meet me at a local coffee shop and we proceeded to take a stock black DLC PM2 apart (we actually didn't get too many odd looks surprisingly) and outfit them with his custom scales. You can see the pics of his awesome work here (with some other colorful PM2 family members in the final few pics) in my public Dropbox:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/93tmzh47dgxez1k/1k3zgFrEv_

The knife is super smooth, fully-centered with no problems (only slight issue came from the lanyard hole being a little too long for his thinner CF scales, but I haven't done anything with it since it doesn't bother me with the lanyard attached). I wanted to post the pics straight to this site, but thought they might bog things down too much, plus I wanted you all to seem them at a decent resolution. Ivan was especially proud (rightly so) for how tightly packed the CF of his scales was, as you can see if you zoom in on the sideways shot ("Ivan7.jpg"). It was a great way to spend an hour with this very interesting fellow, and all you out there looking for those custom CF PM2 scales and can't cough up $650 plus for a S90V PM2 :eek: , you should definitely drop Ivan a line! Price for the scales was the same as the price I paid for the PM2 (total for both was less than half the current going rate for a S90V CF PM2 in the wild). Someone please let me know if you can't access the pics!

Cheers everyone,
Paul
(P.S. not too much grief please on my username please, I do actually work with lots of different radiation types studying effects on biological systems... Unfortunately, no super-powers from such exposures yet, unless you count my super-fast typing skills putting in my CC number to buy another Spydie before my wife catches me!)
Clip

Post by Clip »

I was going to ask if you were a fellow radworker. Welcome to the forums, this is a great start (or a bad sign you're already this far down the path :) it only gets deeper)

Love that CF! Great pics!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Blade and Flame

Post by Blade and Flame »

Welcome! Nice looking scales, and great collection of Para-Military 2s.
RadioactiveSpyder

Thanks Clip! Been in the field for a while, thankfully the kids turned out OK (so far!) and I still have (most of) my hair! As for how far down the road to Golden I've gone in these last six months, I think my addiction would give even endgame a run for his money (if he has any left by now!)... The thrill is certainly in the hunt for these knives!

I forgot to add that these CF scales are quite glossy, especially compared to Spyderco's offerings like the CF Calys, which look very matte to me and not glossy at all. Glad to hear you can see the pics! Enjoy!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Great first post! Knife looks amazing, as does the rest of ur paras. Welcome to the forums! :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

Nice knife and welcome
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to here. Great looking PM2 wit the carbon fiber. Use it a lot. I can hear it screaming "use me" from my house. :)

Jack
noseoil

Post by noseoil »

Welcome & great first post. Nice scales, let your friend know he's doing first class work.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

I almost fell off my chair when I saw the photos! Nice knife and welcome to the forum.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Spectacular. Nicely executed. Welcome aboard. . .
endgame

Post by endgame »

Awesome bro I have same excact settup and same scales from the same dealer.I love mine also. It was a little tricky to get it perfect but mine is now.I also have the real sprint cf.I love that one but the aftermarket scales I have to say are a little better cause they are glossy.awesome bro.
endgame

Post by endgame »

I will post my pics on Thursday of the whole lot. I finally got everyone of the pm2.
RadioactiveSpyder

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! :)

Jack, I'd use it but it's just seems too pretty! (I know several of you just groaned reading that!) Plus, it would have to be a mighty knife indeed to kick the new green PM2 out of my pocket. Even with this CF beauty to play with, I can't resist using that dark green super steel piece of perfection as my mainstay EDC.

Endgame, I thought I might have something that you might not have found yet, but I guess that was just a newbie mistake! Looking forward to seeing your entire collection (as I'm sure many others are too), I bet with your customs they all make for a very handsome family! One thing I have that you mentioned you're missing is a S90V CF Manix2... I'll try to arrange my Manix family for a group photo when my wife's distracted (if you're noticing a theme here, I try not to let on to her just how out of control my addiction has become!).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
endgame

Post by endgame »

Yes I want!you toy you're scales from carbon_fiber on the bay?if you go to my contest on you can see the carbon fiber scales and black blade pm2 stuck in my porche.I didn't post all my knives in thar thread. Tried to trick some.I'm glad u decide to put ut on the dlc blade also looks best on it.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

Very snazzy :cool:
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5