Yojimbo Sharpening

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Midas

Yojimbo Sharpening

Post by Midas »

I was wondering if any could describe to me the proper procedure for
Sharpening the yojimbo using the spyderco sharpening system

Thanks
Jan
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pretty much the same as any other knife. Depending on how it's used and how steady your hand is, you might have issues with keeping the edge perfectly straight. Most wharnies will eventually develop a very slight curve to the blade over long periods of use and sharpening unless they're sharpened on a wide bench stone that can sharpen the entire side of a bevel in one pass.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

If you haven't watched the DvD that should come with the set, I highly recommend it, if for some reason you don't have one, the following videos are the contents of that disc, broken into segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB0r6GvESGg (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fP9Uc3ZM24Y (part 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAu1b9N4oC0 (part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB1iw4iFUqA (part 4)

Wharnies are very forgiving to sharpen, but I would recommend being extra careful of the tip, too much pressure and you'll actually blunt the tip while sharpening via slipping off the stones.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think I've only been using the corners of my ultra fine stones on 40 degrees. The first time I did it, I don't remember if I used the fine ones first.

I was wondering about the corners to flats thing and wondering if we could get real info on how big of a difference the corners versus flats makes.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Anyone use a lansky style clamp on a yo2 yet? I have a gatco and am putting it off for fear of totally rounding the tip: P
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
GoodEyeSniper

Post by GoodEyeSniper »

Don't use the same technique as normal blades with belly. Keep the edge perpendicular to the stones the whole time. Use only the flats and never slide the tip off the stones (though this should be the same on all knives). So basically, hold the knife straight out the whole time. Don't rotate the tip down like on a typical blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Donut wrote:I think I've only been using the corners of my ultra fine stones on 40 degrees. The first time I did it, I don't remember if I used the fine ones first.

I was wondering about the corners to flats thing and wondering if we could get real info on how big of a difference the corners versus flats makes.
Using the corners will DRASTICALLY increase the amount of force applied to the edge by the stone. The corners have less contact area, and so the force applied is much greater than what you'll get off the flats. I would use the corners for faster reprofiling, and finish/hone on the flats.
Cheddarnut wrote:Anyone use a lansky style clamp on a yo2 yet? I have a gatco and am putting it off for fear of totally rounding the tip: P
I haven't used the two together, but I do sharpen mine on my Edge Pro, which will have the same effect on a wharnie blade as the Lansky will. So far I haven't lost very much tip, but if you look down the edge and especially if you compare it to a ruler or known straight edge, you can tell the blade has a very faint curve to it. The good news is that this is relatively easy to fix if you have a course bench stone...you can easily grind the edge straight again and then resharpen on your Lansky.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David