Pocket Clip Problem...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Student

Pocket Clip Problem...

Post by The Student »

Well yesterday I was squeezing between my car and another and put a nice scratch in my car the whole length of the fender. This is not the first time I have done this but this is by far the worst, normaly they buff out. I have to have the knife clipped I can't stand it loose in my pocket. I was wondering if any of you have had this problem and how did you overcome it, or am I sol.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

I've always carried IWB, so I've never had this sort of problem. Not sure if it's something you'd consider trying. I'd be especially careful if the knife had a looser detent.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I always wear my shirt tucked out so it pretty much covers any pocket clips. But I have had the problem of hourglass clips scraping my leather steering wheel when getting in or out of my car. Wire clips seem to be far less damaging to things thanks to their rounded profile. Hourglass clips can have a very sharp edge, especially the Military style that's more squared off at the end (I've put a few rips in my couch fabric from a Military in my back pocket). Good luck getting the scratch out.
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I recall Sal saying once that a lot of mechanics used to prefer the old plastic molded clips because they were less likely to scratch. When I'm in the garage around my car two things I always do is unclip my keys from my belt and my knife from my pocket and carry both in my pocket. The only thing I can suggest is to wrap the clip in shrink tube, it might soften the blow enough to at least make sure it'll buff out in the future.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Clip

Post by Clip »

I was going to suggest shrinktube as well. Just the other day the butt of my Yo2 left some nice chatter marks on my leather steering wheel. That G10 is sharper than I thought!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I tried shrink tubing on a clip once. It lasted less than a week before it shredded and fell off. It will depend on how you use/abuse your clip, obviously - but should probably be viewed as a short-term solution. TedP
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Since you've ruled out the simplest, cheapest, and most effective solution, you might want to consider a finding a sheath to fit your knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
BAL

Post by BAL »

I park as far away from anyone else as possible.