when will the ammo hysteria end?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
enduraguy

when will the ammo hysteria end?

Post by enduraguy »

I'm sure many or most of you folks are seeing similar unless you reload, then again maybe reloaders are seeing it too? My wife and I were going to attend a CCW class around the end of the month, but it wont happen now that we can't seem to find any 9mm ammo. Most retailers can't seem to keep it in stock or they want 2+ times the $$. I know things will calm down again just like they did many years ago when the last "great" commander in chief stirred up similar hysteria. Even online retailers seem to be out of stock "everywhere".
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

I couldn't even get 22lr recently. I'm just glad nobody is spreading a bunch of rumors about a national Spyderco ban to drum up sales.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

You are the victims of a very successful advertising campaign.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

That's why I reload.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Even primers, powder and lose bullets have disappeared off the shelves and web sites.
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is become gun sales aren't where the money is...ammo is. Without the bullet, a gun is useless.

This is why when the zombie apocalypse and/or next civil war goes down, I'll be the guy chopping heads with a sword while the other guy is reloading :cool:
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Evil D wrote:This is become gun sales aren't where the money is...ammo is. Without the bullet, a gun is useless.

This is why when the zombie apocalypse and/or next civil war goes down, I'll be the guy chopping heads with a sword while the other guy is reloading :cool:
You and me both D. What kinds of swords do you have? Do you have any training?
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

No doubt. I have plans to hit up Khukuri House pretty soon for a couple. Still working up the excuse for the wife. :confused:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

SolidState wrote:You and me both D. What kinds of swords do you have? Do you have any training?
Well, that was mostly for laughs, but the thought has seriously crossed my mind. I've looked into real forged swords and if it wasn't for the price I would have picked one up by now. We have a renaessance festival that comes through Ohio once a year, and there's always a smith there who makes some awesome simple hand forged swords, but he still charges a fortune for them.

As for training, I got my black belt in crazy, does that count? :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Zombies? Two words, Echo chainsaw. :eek:
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I saw this crazy scare coming. Have been purchasing about $150 worth of ammo every month to stock the safe. Everything from 00 Buck to 45ACP and especially 22LR. The only ones I need but can't find right now are the 17 Aguilia. I am fortunate that my local gun shop is a straight-forward bunch. They have a huge marquis out front of their store that reads "AR-15s on the way... DONT OVERPAY ELSEWHERE!". They still have most common calibers in stock for maybe 10% more than their usual. To be fair they did have 25% off for all ammo on a Black Friday sale.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Evil D wrote:As for training, I got my black belt in crazy, does that count? :D
In my experience, yes. i never would have lasted long enough to meet you fine people otherwise.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
chuckd

Post by chuckd »

I think it is all across the board. I just started reloading but browsed components and could hardly find anything.
So many spydies, not enough pockets.

"No one else could ever be admitted here, since this gate was made only for you. I am now going to shut it." Before the Law, Franz Kafka

Spydernation #1990
BAL

Post by BAL »

It will eventually die down and ammo will be easier to get and the prices will drop.
The questions is when. We are all to blame, by feeding the monster. We hear the
"shortage" talk on the radio, TV's and around the water cooler, so we rush out and
buy, so that we have some, but we are only adding to the problem.

But if you like to shoot and don't have a stock pile, what are you going to do. Even
if it cost more than it did a few weeks ago, you get a few more boxes than you normally
would, because it goes fast and you don't want to be out. It's a vicious circle.

It"s almost impossible to find any 223 anywhere. And if you do the price is doubled.
So you pay it or do without. And like some have said, the reloading stuff isn't cheap
either.

The best thing to do is to stock up "when" it gets somewhat back to normal.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Evil D wrote:Well, that was mostly for laughs, but the thought has seriously crossed my mind. I've looked into real forged swords and if it wasn't for the price I would have picked one up by now. We have a renaessance festival that comes through Ohio once a year, and there's always a smith there who makes some awesome simple hand forged swords, but he still charges a fortune for them.

As for training, I got my black belt in crazy, does that count? :D
Swords are harder to wield well than they look, and long swords like katana/claymores are virtually useless indoors. In my time dealing with swords, I've seen a lot of people perform unintended home surgeries.
If I were shopping, I'd look for: a gladius, barong, Dha or a chisagatana because they are probably the easiest to manage for an untrained person and will handle well for CQC indoors.
I wouldn't suggest a high-end katana unless you're enrolled in batto classes and have really high ceilings. The other swords can be wielded rather well with FMA training alone. Katana are really a lot more difficult to use well than they look, but once you get good you can dismember things really quickly. Personally, I sport a beater 22" blade 8" handle chisagatana in the left and a 22" Howard Clark 1086 with a 9" handle in my right, and rock them out eskrima style. It's tons of fun, and I can take the arms, legs and head off of something in a second or two, and I'm not very good. Someone like Tony Alvarez could piece someone way faster than me.

Chainsaws run out of gas, guns run out of bullets, but swords only have to be sharpened.
Sir Humphry Davy
jnsn

Post by jnsn »

it will end when the media says so, or when people stop watching MSM for their news, one of the two.
[CENTER]HAVE: sage 1, chokwe, gayle bradley, UKPK, wooden dragonfly, grasshopper, bug, bug set, kiwi.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

Pinetreebbs wrote:Even primers, powder and lose bullets have disappeared off the shelves and web sites.
Haven't disappeared out of my basement stocks.
C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
Tank

Post by Tank »

Im sure the gun and ammo companies and the NRA are doing everything the can to make sure it doesn't end to soon.. the feeding frenzy gives them record high profits and that is all they really care about.
-John
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

When will it end? Realistically in 4 years when Obama is out of office.

To clarify . . . No, not being sarcastic. That's just an honest answer.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
Tank

Post by Tank »

Monocrom wrote:When will it end? Realistically in 4 years when Obama is out of office.

To clarify . . . No, not being sarcastic. That's just an honest answer.

REALLY????

Why did you have to go and say that,,, you just turned this political which you know goes against the forum rules. OP or Moderater please shut this down or its gonna get really hot in here.
-John