Military black blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Ninja

Military black blade

Post by Ninja »

has anyone had any problems with the black finish coming off of their black military? im in the market for a military but dont know if i want to get the black blade if the finish comes off after some use. i have had such issues with other knife brands so i thought i would ask.

Thanks
phaust

Post by phaust »

All blade finishes wear off under friction. The coating Spyderco uses is one of the better ones when it comes to limiting the wear, however.
Ninja

Post by Ninja »

would it be worth buying a black blade or just the standard blade?
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey Ninja,
It just depends on the look you want.
I've had a Para 1 with a black dlc coated blade (same as the Military) for over a year now.
I've edc'd this knife at work practically every day since I got it, cutting cardboard and nylon packing straps.
The coating by no means looks new, but it is in very good shape.
And what I thought were scratches on my blade, turned out to be residue from materials that the blade came in contact with, such as brass from the pocket rivets on my Levi's.
Spydercos dlc coating is one of the best out there.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
timberweasel

Post by timberweasel »

The DLC on my Para 2 is fantastic--I would expect it is the exact same coating as the Mille. If it doesn't work out, you could always try stripping it (disclaimer: never tried to strip a DLC Spydie myself and I hesitate to recommend disassembling your knife for warranty considerations--I'd bet my bottom dollar it's been done before though.) Maybe you should buy one of each... ;)

dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

I have had a black bladed Military for two years, and while there is some small scratches up close it still looks good. I wouldn't have any reservations about the black coating, it's some pretty tough stuff. If you like the look of get, get it.
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants