Worker C01

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stalag2

Worker C01

Post by stalag2 »

Hello

Is there any plans to ressucitate the good ole Worker ?
The blade shape with its intricate double edged tip along with the almost straight edge always appealed to me and looks very handy for delicate works.
I wouldnt mind some fancy upgrades but the original version is just gorgeous.

What ya all think ? Would you get one if they were still available ?
APS

Post by APS »

I'd buy a plain edge if they were still available. Particularly if they were drilled/tapped for tip up carry.
tautisg1

Post by tautisg1 »

I dont really know if I would buy one. I mean, they were years ahead of their time when introduced, and were GREAT knives at that time. Now however, I think that the Delica 4 does everything the Worker could of have ever done, and does it much better. I'm sure many spydie fans would get one, but why would the average knife buyer (not spyderco collector) get one over a delica, even if it did have vg-10. I dont really see the appeal behind the worker. I'm a collector, but also a user. If it doesn't have something innovative about it, I probably won't buy it. Also, never liked SS handles. Just my $00.02.
Coulro

Post by Coulro »

I have a SE Worker and it gets regular carry. Cool knife, great design.
Holland

Post by Holland »

i would buy one in a heart beat regardless of handle material and steel
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Yes, yes I would! Plain edge and I don't even care what it's made out of. Hook me up.

P.S. Holland - Nice to see someone on here in my neck of the woods.

- best wishes, Jazz.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Guys, workers are showing up on the bay quite frequently. Mostly SE, but I saw couple PE commemorative, which were sold under $150, which I think is not bad.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I would buy a PE Worker of some kind. I was lucky enough to find a great deal on a NIB SE Worker at a gun show, but I'd like to have one I wouldn't mind actually using. I really like that blade shape.

How about a worker blade in a Delica handle? I'd EDC that. :D
:bug-red-white
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd sooner buy a SS Delica and mod the tip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
APS

Post by APS »

Evil D wrote:I'd sooner buy a SS Delica and mod the tip.
This brings up a good point and it probably depends upon why one would want to buy a Worker. If it's just for the tip (and honestly the production ones weren't sharp enough on the back side for any good use) then this is a good suggestion. For me, I want one b/c Spyderco was my first tactical knife love and I want the model that 'started it all' - though I understand it won't be exactly the same. I do check ebay and they are up there often but I hate the process of bidding on that site.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I'd love some new workers with something like a G10 or other grip enhancement. The Stainless knives are getting slippery for these old hands, especially the smallish framed knives. I've always liked the Worker and was happy as heck when I was finally able to afford one. I was pretty broke in those days and that was an expensive knife to me. Heck, back then I thought Buck and Case traditionals were too much money.

I never did like the aluminum ones though they do offer a bit better grips.

It's not for everybody but there is still a lot to like about the Worker design. My stainless plain pre VG10 model is a bit worn and could use replacing and maybe upgrading even. The Boxed fancy model is VG10 but I still have never used it for whatever reason. It wasn't cost. I have more expensive users than that.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

I didnt know about a ti worker with vg10, are you sure it is not the 20th anniversary which is almite coated alu ?

I kinda hesitated long time to get one and i finally decided to not to as i heard almite was quite easy to scratch.
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

**** i just misread, was like sure you you wrote titanium, whatever i just woke up...

But **** i would like a ti model hahah.
JD Spydo

The Worker in ZDP or a newer steel

Post by JD Spydo »

Even since Spyderco started using ZDP-189 blade steel I've been screaming loudly for them to bring back the C-01 Worker model with ZDP-189 and hopefully with a G-10 handle. To me that would be a dream EDC blade.

I always loved the Worker model myself and have often wondered what it would be like in one of the newer supersteels.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
stalag2

Post by stalag2 »

I would be concerned about the tip if made with such high rc steel, but im all with you about g10 and serious steel.

Im thinking about dremelizing a delica2 but im worried about the tip thickness once the secondary edge has been ground.

I still firmly believe that the worker design is something more utilitarian and handy than people might think at first glance, also its a real piece of knife history and the cornerstone behind the whole line up of nowadays spydies.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I have commemorate worker and really like it. Also I prefer almite coated aluminum to SS. it is gripper and looks better. I really do not care about ZDP worker, but will be interested in VG10 with micarta or polished G10 scales.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I would be concerned about the tip if made with such high rc steel, but im all with you about g10 and serious steel.
The tip concerns me too. I always seem to get nipped by mine. :)

I'm just a primitive person. No excuse really. :)

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Spyderbro

Post by Spyderbro »

I enjoy using my three screw on ocassion. Had it for years. One terrific knife. (thanks Sal)

[ATTACH]20816[/ATTACH]
Attachments
spyderco worker knife.jpg
[CENTER]Speak to people as if they were directly in front of you. [/CENTER]
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderbro wrote:I enjoy using my three screw on ocassion. Had it for years. One terrific knife. (thanks Sal)
That's a great pic of the 3 screw Worker model. I would really love it even if they brought it back in VG-10 as long as they did use a G-10 handle. Albeit I still think this would be the perfect model for using ZDP-189 steel. But VG-10 Worker would be great as well as long as they offered it up on SE and PE both.

That is a great name for that folder as well because it truly is designed to be a working man's knife all the way. I think it would even be interesting with an FRN handle as well. To me the tip is one of the finer selling points of the knife. I never had any problem with the tips on either one of my Worker models.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!