Really... Seriously...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieFan

Really... Seriously...

Post by SpydieFan »

So I've been browsing knives pretty heavily for about the past week. And even before that, I always read about the Para Military 2... thinking it was some bigazz 4" blade folder, I never researched it... come to find out it's got a blade under my 3.5" legal limit? WHAT?! What have I been missing out on?

I started searching and found a black bladed digi camo one, well, most places I checked, they're out of stock... what gives? Are they a sprint-run of sorts?

Thanks folks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Stugots-II

Post by Stugots-II »

Hands down the PM2 is my favorite blade they make. I own many variations and look forward to everyone they come out with. The digi camo one you speak of is a regular production model and not a sprint-run. However I have been hearing lately that they are becoming quite scarce. It is a very popular model and Spyderco is having a difficult time keeping up with the demand along with all the new models they are producing. I am sure you can find it though, if you don't mind paying an extra 10-15 dollars more than the rock bottom cheapest prices out there.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Yeah I even went on Spyderco's website and the black blade black handle version even says "Out of Stock"...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

angusW

Post by angusW »

The digi black blade ones are not a sprint run. Just popular I guess. The grey handled, CTS-20CP one I have in my hand is :D

I've read quite a few post where people are having a difficult time finding the regular models. I think what happens is they put them out in batches and get bought up quickly. From what I hear, the Spyderco factory is at capacity so they are able to only make so many.

I suggest you get yourself one if you can to see how you like it. Odds are you will. Good luck.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

You've been missing out on what is, IMO, the best production knife on the market! It's out of stock everywhere because it's so good, they can't keep up with the demand.

:bug-red-white
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

How slick is the opening on them? I was messing with a BM 940 series knife at the local shop and that was slick as butter!

Sounds like I need to start browsing the used market...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

gbelleh wrote:You've been missing out on what is, IMO, the best production knife on the market! It's out of stock everywhere because it's so good, they can't keep up with the demand.

Amen gbelleh, I think every KNIFE "person" should own a para2. I'm tryin to get my brother to buy one but, he'll eventually try out a spydie :)
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

i love the fact that every digi cam handle is different and unique. i was just looking at the above picture and was like wow, that para2 has alot of tan!!

the digicam handles are a must for me, rather u get satin or DLC is up to you, but with "para-military" as your name, you gotta show the digicam some love!!!
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
markg

Post by markg »

The Para Military 2 will be smooth opening, but not on the par with the Benchmade 940 you handled, frankly they are almost too smooth and easy to open.

Most knife companies make knives in runs, and then move on to another knife model. If they sell out, they are out until the next run is made. Depending on demand and production schedule, that knife could be made again that year or it might only get a run every few years. Spyderco's foreign made knives are a different animal when it comes to production and procurement, I would assume.

For example, everyone and their brother is still looking for Yojimbo 2's... Most of the first run only covered most dealers pre-orders. So at this point you either have to pay a premium for one, or wait until they are made again.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

Blast. Well, I was hoping a run would come sooner, but I'll have to get the 940 instead since they're in stock :P
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

They are nice and because of the chimping, the blade size is actually just about 3 inches so it could pass for that length if it had to, just make the case of the chimping and grip the knife there!

The Para 2's are getting harder to find at onlines stores it seems!
austinguy23

Post by austinguy23 »

SpydieFan wrote:Blast. Well, I was hoping a run would come sooner, but I'll have to get the 940 instead since they're in stock :P
Good choice. The BM 940 is incredible.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Yep, Santa bought all the Para2 knives last Christmas. Hence the shortage.

A few Elves have some on Elf Bay (EBay) but slightly above dealer prices.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Nice knife, but still doesn't meet my demands. I just got a Strider SMF tanto full grind and think that's a little thin at the tip. It's more of a tactical penetration blade shape. Need to get the 3/4 grind SMF for edc.
Wildernest Survivor

Excellence and Value

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

Adding to the chorus, I believe that the Para2, in any configuration, is the best American-made production folder on the market - in any price range. For the price, it cannot be beat. :D
I know that this doesn't get the knife into your hands any more quickly, but being out of stock, in every version, at all the reputable dealers means that you are pursuing a knife that has earned its popularity by being consistently excellent. You can find plenty of "popular" knives in the same price range, by any number of manufacturers, always in stock because the demand for those knives is just not as great. Nothing against the competition, but the Para Military 2 is just that much better. :spyder:
I separate my years of bushcraft and woodsmanship as well as knife collecting into two eras: the Age of the Para2... and the Dark Ages.
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

Man, this forum is SO bad for my bank account. I swear ;) Until recently I've thought the same as you. Para2 = some kinda of big, heavy folder. Not for me. No. Now I've seen the brown one coming up with several of my regular ebay sellers and I actually checked the specs. And man, this isn't as big as I thought! Smaller than my Endura actually and I LOVE this one. I would probably totally dig the Para 2. Jeesh. Now if I had 170$ plus shipping I would totally get one. The brown one really speaks to me. Sigh. :spyder:
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder:
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

KardinalSyn wrote:Yep, Santa bought all the Para2 knives last Christmas. Hence the shortage.

A few Elves have some on Elf Bay (EBay) but slightly above dealer prices.
Yeah.. I'm not going to buy off eBay because I'm not going to support those ******** who buy them just to resell them for a higher price...
SuzieQ wrote:Man, this forum is SO bad for my bank account. I swear ;) Until recently I've thought the same as you. Para2 = some kinda of big, heavy folder. Not for me. No. Now I've seen the brown one coming up with several of my regular ebay sellers and I actually checked the specs. And man, this isn't as big as I thought! Smaller than my Endura actually and I LOVE this one. I would probably totally dig the Para 2. Jeesh. Now if I had 170$ plus shipping I would totally get one. The brown one really speaks to me. Sigh. :spyder:
I agree. At first it was ~$40 knives... not a huge deal. Now I'm looking at $100 and $150 knives....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SuzieQ

Post by SuzieQ »

SpydieFan wrote:Yeah.. I'm not going to buy off eBay because I'm not going to support those ******** who buy them just to resell them for a higher price...
Actually, I buy a lot from eb*y and I gotta say you can usually spot those listings pretty quickly as long as you do your research. It's not as if the internet wouldn't give you all the available prices on the silver platter ;) Honestly, I'm not that fond of eb*y as a company. Always bothers me a bit to go there. But I found international shipping from their sellers the most uncomplicated and affordable. As for prices, well, in my experience most eb*y prices are anywhere between the lowest special dealer prices and Spyderco list prices. Which is perfectly okay. I think in lots of cases eb*y sellers cater to international customers like me anyway. And I am quite happy to pay 10 bucks extra if it means I can actually get my hands on a knife that would be hard to obtain through others dealers either because they don't ship internationally at all or only at quite high costs.
She: Did you say pink :spyder: sprint run?! - He: Yeah. - She: Wow, wouldn't this go great with my purple Delica?! - He: ? - :D

:spyder: Delica 4 FFG purple ::: Dragonfly Salt Yellow SE ::: Ladybug Foliage Green PE ::: UK Penknife Safety Orange G-10 ::: Byrd Robin G-10 PE ::: Delica 4 FFG pink - modded to non-locking ::: Squeak ::: Grasshopper ::: Kiwi - got snagged by the husband ::: Endura 4 FFG Orange ::: Delica ZDP-189 ::: Centofante 4 ::: Byrd Tern ::: Manix 2 Blue Lightweight :spyder: