Kiridashi...Last Ditch Self-Defense Tool?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dr. Snubnose

Kiridashi...Last Ditch Self-Defense Tool?

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I have used and loved Kiridashis as a small fixed bladed utility knife for several years now. Used in the past by Japanese artisans as wood working tools and it wasn't too long ago that every Japanese Kid who went to school would have a kiridashi inside his or hers pencil box to be used in arts and crafts class. It's a great tool for everyday tasks and I much prefer to use them for these purposes rather than a normal fixed blade or folder. There has been much buzz in the industry, that people are starting to carry the kiridashi as a last ditch self-defense tool as well as a utility knife. So I decided to meat test 5 different kiridashis of mine to see how they might best fit the role of defensive tool.

I tested 5 knives: 1) Custom Kiridashi made by Jason from Ecos Knives, blade cutting length 1 1/2", overall length 4 1/2". 2) Custom Kiridashi by maker Gary Kisella, cutting edge 1 3/8", overall length 4 1/2". 3) A larger Custom Kiridashi maker Unknown, cutting edge 1 7/8", overall length 7" and 4) Custom Kiridashi with a karambit retention ring made by Eric Draven 5) Custom Kiridashi made by Klase, cutting edge 1 1/4", overall length 3 1/4".

The meat test remained consistent with the methodology I have used in the past. I took a round roast 5" thick and 8" long, left in the original packaging, wrapped in an additional 4 layers of saran wrap to simulate the resistance of skin. Placed it inside a denim pant leg and hung to swing freely in air for the testing.

Results and Observations:

Regardless of the edge length when doing an angle one slash all the blades cut very shallow in terms of depth into the meat but long in terms of length of cut. No more that 1/2" in depth of cuts was recorded. With one exception the larger dashi blade did cut deeper and better than the smaller blades, but not by much that it's worth mentioning. Then I thought to myself I can get these dashis to perform a little better. I next tested its ability to cut by using small continuous rotary (circular) motions (like in a boxers jab). Depth increased by using this method to a depth of 1 1/2" -1 3/4" in the meat but length of cuts were shortened. Then I tested by holding the kiridashi in Pakal Grip Reverse Grip Edge facing Inwards, thrust in the meat and ripped out pulling towards my own body. The depth of the cuts increased to 2" -2 1/4". The next test involved just stabbing the target and making a Comma Cut by cutting out of the meat with a horizontal motion cut. The depth of penetration was only about 2" in depth but the wound channel opened up to depths of 2 1/2"to 2 3/4" using this method. The cuts were also very long in length.

Conclusion and Thoughts:
I think the tests prove that the Kiridashi is both worthy of being used not only as a utility knife, but if used with the proper techniques can be a very effective self-defense tool. Slashing seems to produce little effect when using a Dashi, not much different from using say something like a ladybug. But if you employ the quick rotary motion vertical cuts and stabs with horizontal cutting your way out (comma cuts) should prove to be more than effective for using the kiridashi in not only a back up-role, but also as a primary defensive tool......2 3/4" in these test, compared to a 3" depth of cut from a Yojimbo is pretty darn good considering the edge of most dashis are about the same size as a ladybug or smaller.....Doc :)

"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Very cool Doc :) . I'm wondering if those Dashi's aren't limited by handle scaling as much (acting as a stop). That's over 1" deeper than the blade! :eek:

Good stuff, scary, but good.
Creepo

Post by Creepo »

Nice testing Doc!
Makes me want a kiridashi even more now. :p
Hannibal Lecter

Wow...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Ssifu,

That Draven kiri is just stunning - I really need to dig another kiri up for EDC soon.

Beautifully written article, my friend!

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Ssifu,

That Draven kiri is just stunning - I really need to dig another kiri up for EDC soon.

Beautifully written article, my friend!

--------
Hannibal
Thanks Dr. Han...... :) More and more people are carrying kiridashis these days....it's refreshing....wish spyderco made one.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Thanks Dr. Han...... :) More and more people are carrying kiridashis these days....it's refreshing....wish spyderco made one.....Doc :D
I'll second that. :cool: Well-written article and nice pictures, Dr. S. Good stuff!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Doc, thanks for the very informative post and for the great pics. I wonder what's the purpose of that copper dot in the second Kiridashi?
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

dialex wrote:Hi Doc, thanks for the very informative post and for the great pics. I wonder what's the purpose of that copper dot in the second Kiridashi?
Ay Dialex, The copper dot is just the mark of the Marker, he puts it on a lot of his pieces...Just decorative....but cool non-the-less.....Doc :)

Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

When I make a Kiridashi I usually give the piece and infinite edge almost a zero bevel scandi type grind. It usually makes these useful tools very effective cutters...Take Care...ed
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Hey Ed, fancy a Kiradashi folder?

Plzzzz? :)
angusW

Post by angusW »

Thanks for the report Doc. I still like that second one a lot. The one with the copper insert. She's a beauty.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Oh I'll settle for a nice spyderco Kiri/Schempp....Yah!....(from your mouth to Sal's ears) just a thought......Doc :)

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Now I got me thinking....Why not an Ed Schempp Design hardworking/ good steel Kiridashi in the Spyderco Line up...It fits the ethnic series spyderco knives and they make great tools and have the sharpest edges. Could even have Sal's necklace with the three holes right smack down the middle of the dashi....would be so cool........Doc :)

Hannibal Lecter

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Ssifu,
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Now I got me thinking....Why not an Ed Schempp Design hardworking/ good steel Kiridashi in the Spyderco Line up...It fits the ethnic series spyderco knives and they make great tools and have the sharpest edges. Could even have Sal's necklace with the three holes right smack down the middle of the dashi....would be so cool........Doc :)
That would be one design that I could certainly get behind - it would be an outstanding EDC piece.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
JRShirley

Post by JRShirley »

Sam Owens and I have been working on a kiridashi I call the "Daily Kiri". I gave Ed one when I saw him at the SHOT Show. I gave some 440C and 35VN prototypes to Eric Glesser for him and Sal to look at, but Eric said they won't be making them at this time because Spyderco doesn't usually do well with neck knives. Here's a Super Daily Kiri next to the first Samto 33.

As for Eric Draven...I considered Eric a pretty good friend, and talked with him frequently via phone, text and email. We designed several small kiridashis together, and I paid Eric $400 for 4 small knives, 2 of which would be kiridashis. And waited...and waited. Eric finally said he'd had some problems and hadn't been able to heat-treat them yet, and then, has never contacted me again. This was in late 2010. Personally, I would think $400 wasn't worth losing a friend over, but I suppose I got off cheaply. :(

I gave a SDK in coated 3V to a female friend of mine in Colorado, who is unfortunately no stranger to violence. She says it's ideal for her situation, being small enough for her to always have with her, and it's small enough that it doesn't set off the metal detectors in her office building! She does says it's big enough to be effective (cutting edge on these is 1.5").

John
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

John, those are spectacular! I especially love the one in jade green G-10. :) Welcome to the forums, too, by the way!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JRShirley

Post by JRShirley »

SpyderNut wrote:John, those are spectacular! I especially love the one in jade green G-10. :) Welcome to the forums, too, by the way!
Thank you. :)

I'll post a couple more later today. Maybe even the ones Eric and I were working on, too. I was pretty proud of them.

I've got Sam working on a slightly longer version of the Daily Kiri that will be big enough for a belt knife- also a "Combat Kiri" that will be unobtrusive (several Armies have issued orders that no large fixed blades may be carried), but big enough to do all the things a US service member needs to do with a sharp.

Unlike traditional kiridashis, the Shirley-Owens have double grinds. I figured we're already using choils on some, and good modern steel- might as well make them as capable as possible.

John
JRShirley

Post by JRShirley »

Here's one kiridashi I helped Eric design:Image

The 4 small knives on the left of this picture I helped design (call it 85% of my intent- you can see in the pictures that Eric didn't smooth the edges of the butt of the handles enough, and the kiridashis should be wider). I paid a total of $410 for these...wish I could be showing them in my hand. :(

Here are some Daily Kiris. :) The cord wrap is the first DK-EC (Extended Choil). After handling it, I had Sam lengthen the handles a little. This one has seen quite a bit of use, so the GunKote is showing a little wear. The middle is a 35VN SDK, and the right is a DK in 3V with paper micarta scales and GunKote.

With my 87mm Persian 2, for scale:

John
IG-88

Post by IG-88 »

I love it. I like the style as a backup!

I have a friend knife maker who makes very nice Kiridashis! Just wicked!

Current EDC: Techno, Squeak, Southard Flipper, Caly 3.5

New Arrivals: Chap3, Domino, Sage 3

2014 Wishlist: Yo2 CF, Deviant Friction, Tatanka, Tusk, Firefly

Oldies Wishlist: Delica CF PE, Civilian CF PE
JRShirley

Post by JRShirley »

While I don't care for single grinds, I love everything else about that knife. How thick is it? Interesting to see more small knives in 3V~ Sam and I are getting away from 3V for these, because it seems like overkill. What's the length on that?

John