Thank God I'm Not on the Benchmade Forums

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Thank God I'm Not on the Benchmade Forums

Post by kennethsime »

First off, let me say that I have some experience in retail cutlery. I've sold Benchmades, Spydercos, and quite a few other brands, and I've consistently been pleased with offerings from each.

I particularly appreciate Bob Lum's designs for Benchmade, and that's what led me to investigate if there were any special editions of the BM 746 Mini-Onslaught around online (154CM just isn't special enough).

That said: until today I had no idea that Benchmade hosted a forum, and I almost wish I had never seen it. The amount of ignorance, $h*+ talking, reviews by irreverent amateurs showing no respect for incredibly talented designers/custom knifemakers, and general internet trollery astound me.

I guess I could just say, thanks guys, for making the Syderco Forums a fun and valuable place to hang around. But I had to vent.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

We are glad you like our place :) . Welcome to the forums.

My brief times at the Benchmade forums have been pleasant. Seems quite a few Spydie fans even. Generally though what you described is the result of the Internet and the joy of anonymity. We even experience it here but pride ourselves in trying remaining civil. There are definitely worst forums out there.

The troll vs fanboy fight will rage on long after we are all gone. It's annoying but compare to the old days of gauntlets and blood feuds I guess it could be worse ;) .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This is probably the most civilized forum i'm part of, of any hobby i'm into.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

"We all speak knife"
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

hey kenneth,
it's a good place to be!
later,
don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Evil D wrote:This is probably the most civilized forum i'm part of, of any hobby i'm into.
+1 on that, although they run a pretty tight ship on KTOG.ORG.
My homeland, pafoa.org is the wild west. It ain't pretty.
Slash

Post by Slash »

People still talk **** through the computer?

I don't read enough at the benchmade forums to know what you're referring to. But, it's like anywhere else. Some kids just need to grow up.
I think the whole balisong thing attracts more kids than other places.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hmmmm... now that you are talking, I remeber that a couple days ago I received in the mailbox an invitation to subscribe for Benchmade's 2012 Forum knife...
Now I don't have anything against Benchmade, in fact I think they make some fine knives, problem is I don't remember being a member of Benchmade's Forum... :confused:
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I could say a lot here, but I won't. I'll just say that I think the character and the degree of involvement of Spyderco's top management makes all the difference (and you're right, there is a big difference).
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

As JNewell mentioned, it's the management and employees that make for a great environment. Sal pushes for a clean and respectful place on the web. Contributors include renown makers and respected independant testers. The vibe of the remaining community tends to follow this theme. Our input is appreciated and generally (not always) that helps us bite our tongues.

I can't fault a product for the zealot buying audience. They aren't employees and reigning them in without driving away business is a delicate balance. Typicially the president just stays distanced from the crowd. We are lucky that Sal goes the other direction participating in discussion over a few forums. I have to think the product benefits in the end.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

JNewell wrote:I could say a lot here, but I won't. I'll just say that I think the character and the degree of involvement of Spyderco's top management makes all the difference (and you're right, there is a big difference).
I'll put a +1 to that. Thanks Kristi!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

thanx to you glad you are here...
you are a legend.
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
Monocrom

Post by Monocrom »

Same reason why I don't even both visiting the general forum over at BladeForums anymore.
"The World is insane, with small pockets of sanity here & there. Not the other way around."

:spyder:-John Cleese- :spyder:
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Kenneth. Glad you can appreciate the civility and respect that is the norm around here :) Moderators rarely have to intervene. Nothing is 100% perfect but as stated previously Spyderco staff and management have set the tone. It's ok to disagree with an opinion, but voicing the disagreement should be done with respect and hopefully a willingness to learn.

Glad you found us :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Slash

Post by Slash »

Op is just mad they weren't registered prior to feb. 1 to get in on the forum knife.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome Kennethsime, glad to have you aboard.
JD Spydo

People Are STrange

Post by JD Spydo »

Slash wrote:People still talk **** through the computer?

I don't read enough at the benchmade forums to know what you're referring to. But, it's like anywhere else. Some kids just need to grow up.
I think the whole balisong thing attracts more kids than other places.
I agree with Slash>> I've been on the Benchmade Forum since 2006 or 07 I forget which now but it's been a while. All the time I spent over there which was nothing compared to the time I've spent here I only ever had one guy give me a ration of crap>> he took something on this Forum I said completely out of context and tried to make a Federal case out of it

Like Slash says "some kids just need to grow up" In this guy's case I think some folks just need to get a real life.

As far as this Forum ( Spyderco.com) goes I've had maybe 2 minor incidents over the years which really didn't amount to anything. There are just going to be disagreeable people no matter where you go or what you do.

There are people out there and trust me there are>> that if you stood on a street corner and handed out HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS there would be people *****ing and griping that you didn't give them five TWENTY DOLLAR BILLS because they have a rough time making change for big bills. Believe me they are out there>> Just like Jim Morrison said on that one old song of his "People Are STrange"
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

i was just banned for a week at a syracuse football forum-
one poster stalked me and posted foul language about my opinions of our starting center-went on for a week- i was warned to just ignore him or else

even though i didnt respond with words just a icon with a swirling hand making a insane motion-i was told i was looking at banning

so i had the gal to ask if the other guy was getting equal treatment- well that got me a weeks ban- but being that you cant have a opinion just have to follow the "go team" line -i seriously doubt i will be back

this is by far the most civil forum on the net-heck may even be the only one-lol

for the record i was banned at bf for calling out a mod who edited a post of mine to make me look like a fool- as far as im concerned it is also a lousy forum
N2KNVS

Post by N2KNVS »

kennethsime wrote:First off, let me say that I have some experience in retail cutlery. I've sold Benchmades, Spydercos, and quite a few other brands, and I've consistently been pleased with offerings from each.

I particularly appreciate Bob Lum's designs for Benchmade, and that's what led me to investigate if there were any special editions of the BM 746 Mini-Onslaught around online (154CM just isn't special enough).

That said: until today I had no idea that Benchmade hosted a forum, and I almost wish I had never seen it. The amount of ignorance, $h*+ talking, reviews by irreverent amateurs showing no respect for incredibly talented designers/custom knifemakers, and general internet trollery astound me.

I guess I could just say, thanks guys, for making the Syderco Forums a fun and valuable place to hang around. But I had to vent.
Are you gonna get specific? Fire me off a PM and keep this private. :confused:
Tell something I don't know...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

N2KNVS wrote:Are you gonna get specific? Fire me off a PM and keep this private. :confused:
He was 7 feet tall and ghoulish. I really think it was Old Man Withers though.

He would have gotten away with it too if not for those snoopy kids. :)