Caly 3 Damascus

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
IrishSpyder22

Caly 3 Damascus

Post by IrishSpyder22 »

So I see howes has a caly 3 Damascus sprint run up for pre order that is suppose to come out late fall . Does anyone have any info about this knife scale material? It sounds interesting , I love the caly so this will be a must have.
35:spyder:
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Carbon fiber. It was posted on the KC blog and you can also glean the information from the SKU: C113CFPD
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
racer88

Post by racer88 »

dammit... it seems every time I log onto this forum, I end up spending money. A Damascus Caly 3 in CF?? Cannot resist!
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

racer88 wrote:dammit... It seems every time i log onto this forum, i end up spending money. A damascus caly 3 in cf?? Cannot resist!
+1
INFRNL

Post by INFRNL »

+2
I thought about preordering, but kind of wanted to see what pricing CS is going to have. Crazy how much more the new knives are
CF Balance, CF Caly3 ZDP, Caly 3.5 SB, CAT 440C, Chaparral, Orange Jigged Damascus Delica, Blue Jigged Damascus Delica, BRG Delica ZDP(SOON TO BE G-10!), FG G-10 DragonFly, Gayle Bradley, 2012 Jester, H1 Ladybug Salt Hawkbill w/G-10 scales, Tan Manix 2 M4, MoonGlow Manix 2, C22CF Michael Walker, BRN Millie XHP, Native 5, PM2, All Black PM2, Gray PM2 20CP, Blue PM2 M390, Sage 1, Sage 2, Sage 4, Terzuola, CF Stretch ZDP, UKPK Drop Point
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I must say I am excited to see this one in photo and up close. I like the look of some damascus. I am just learning about Damascus steel and I know there a various different types. Some better than others. Does anyone know what type of Damascus will be used on this Caly 3?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The new knives have materials and labor costs that are greater than earlier models, particularly many newer sprints. There are also newer models that are less expensive.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

jtoler_9 wrote:I must say I am excited to see this one in photo and up close. I like the look of some damascus. I am just learning about Damascus steel and I know there a various different types. Some better than others. Does anyone know what type of Damascus will be used on this Caly 3?
This is the same reason that I'm waiting to throw my money into the ring. There are so many different Damascus patterns; some I like, others not so much. I'll have to wait and see if this is a pattern that I'm willing to pony up the big bucks for. Hopefully Mr. Blonde gets to provide some pics from the Amsterdam meet in March.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jtoler_9 wrote:I must say I am excited to see this one in photo and up close. I like the look of some damascus. I am just learning about Damascus steel and I know there a various different types. Some better than others. Does anyone know what type of Damascus will be used on this Caly 3?
If I had to guess, I'd say it will probably be the same VG-10 core stuff used on the Delicas and Mule. Not my cup of tea, but some folks seem to like it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Shakyamuni

Post by Shakyamuni »

Is there any advantage to Damascus steel, or is it just for looks?
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

Shakyamuni wrote:Is there any advantage to Damascus steel, or is it just for looks?
In the middle-ages, Damascus steel was state-of-the-art. It offered better wear resistance and strength due to it's blended laminate construction.

Nowadays, most modern steels offer performance that exceeds that offered by Damascus. From what I have seen it's used today as an aesthetic selling point (i.e. because it looks good to some folks).
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

I wish Spyderco would use a regular patterned Damascus, something like what's on my mini-prybar:

Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

mikerestivo wrote:Nowadays, most modern steels offer performance that exceeds that offered by Damascus. From what I have seen it's used today as an aesthetic selling point (i.e. because it looks good to some folks).
I also notice that it drives the price up a lot. Or at least it seems to. With no performance benefit, those looks are pricey.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jtoler_9 wrote:I also notice that it drives the price up a lot. Or at least it seems to. With no performance benefit, those looks are pricey.
Same as with a lot of things, some look at a pocket knife as a tool or a weapon and nothing more, some look at it as functional jewelry. What performance advantage does a $100 ballpoint pen have onver a $10 one? What performance advantage does a Rolex have over a Casio G-Shock? What performance advantage does a Grade VII Browning have over the Field Grade version of the same gun?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
racer88

Post by racer88 »

The Deacon wrote:Same as with a lot of things, some look at a pocket knife as a tool or a weapon and nothing more, some look at it as functional jewelry. What performance advantage does a $100 ballpoint pen have onver a $10 one? What performance advantage does a Rolex have over a Casio G-Shock? What performance advantage does a Grade VII Browning have over the Field Grade version of the same gun?
Bingo.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Performance benefit really has little to do with the upper echelon of knives. I'm sure a run of the mill Para2 or Caly3.5 would keep up with utterly destroy most custom knives for pure slicing performance and comfort. A ZDP-189 Delica is half the price of those even even more impressive.

Damascus in our day in age is as described: Jewelry. Similar to Titanium flashlights or expensive purses.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I would not say 'no' to Caly Eye Candy, if I could afford it. It would be a knife seldom used, however, except to open a letter, perhaps.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

jtoler_9 wrote:I also notice that it drives the price up a lot. Or at least it seems to. With no performance benefit, those looks are pricey.
I agree with this and what others have said about the issue, except with jewelry, you are also looking at scarcity of precious metals and gems pushing that cost up as well.

I would have to imagine that making Damascus steel is much more labor intensive than a "evenly blended" stainless equivalent. In fact, I know it is. I have seen video of it being made in the old-world way.

It would involve more than just mixing alloys and ores, it would inolve that along with continuous manual intervention with folding and unfolding the steel until it has reached the point where it is ready for blades.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I also will wait to see Wouter's pictures. As much as I love Caly, polished CF will not do a trick for me. Considering MSRP, the knife is going to be more expensive than I ever spent for knife. If the knife would have bolsters and bone/wood or at least nice micarta scales, it would be much easier to spend cash for me. I really have to love the knife to spend $200++, unless I hit a lotto.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
egrep

Post by egrep »

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre order for this knife. Problem is I'm reading this is going to be available in the Fall? I sure don't think it's prudent to pay now for a knife that won't be made for another 8 months!

Any clue that could set me straight? I love Damascus jewelry. Cuts most things I need to be cutting too! :)