Para 2 Paradox. DLC, or Satin?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwb1500

Para 2 Paradox. DLC, or Satin?

Post by Rwb1500 »

There is one highly regarded Spydie I have not yet tried, not even layed my hands on.

The Paramilitary 2. It seems to be held in very high esteem by most. I suppose I should try one. I'll probably get rid of a few knives to make it happen, have a few extra Enduras around I need to sell off, also looking at trading off my Sage 1 to a fellow (although he seems a but flaky).

Anyway, the heart of the matter; DLC or satin? I absolutely love the look of the black on black Para 2, and I rather like the Digi Cam with black as well. I guess my question is, will the DLC hinder my cutting ability? I've seen it discussed that it can slightly bind when cutting through material. Fortunately for my purposes I don't cut a lot of things that contact the blade after the edge. If I really need stout cutting power I'll use a fixed blade.

So what are your opinions on the pros and cons of the DLC?

Thanks gents.
Igi964

Post by Igi964 »

I have Para 2 black handle and satin blade. I like the look of all black Para,but I chose satin. Spyderco make a great DLC,but IMHO every coating can be scratched soon or a later and I don't like the idea of scratched blade.
darkstar29

Post by darkstar29 »

I tend to agree with Igi964. I like the DLC, but if/when it does get scratched, it will show up that much more.. But, DLC does impress me.
I walk away slow tonight,
and cut through the air
with a curse, like a knife.
NAKK77

Post by NAKK77 »

I like dlc, love the look when it starts to get worn!!
Galatians 2:20
Total Surrender /FONT]
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Very recently Ankerson did a quick video on a Para2 with DLC if memory serves me correctly and he pointed out how durable the DLC appears to be. Aesthetically I think DLC is hard to beat. A black blade makes pretty much anything look cooler, but that's just me. As far as functionality goes, I have never noticed any decrease in performance associated with DLC. Scratches, , I guess they are inevitable, but if you're using your Para2 as a worker, then I think the eventual scratches just add character.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Idk, my black on black para 2 is pretty sick looking lol. And so is my manix 2. If you like the look get it, youll end up getting another para 2 anyway in the future and that one can be satin.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
raggasonic

Post by raggasonic »

I've been through the same dilemna a while back, while ordering my digicam para...
I finally ended the satin version for some reasons I can't remember today, and have to say I now regreat this choice :D
Seems like I'm now in the need to order a DLC para, it'll probably be an all black one this time, and maybe I'll swap the blades...
:spyder::spyder::spyder:
Work horse or shelf queen, I made my decision
:spyder::spyder::spyder:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The biggest difference honestly will be aesthetics. Go with your gut so you don't long for the other one later :) .
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Scratches add character! Every warrior has battle scars. DLC FTW!

You don't know the POWER of the Darkside... ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

It's an aesthetics issue. Go for the one you love the most. It's a nice knife, regardless of the color combo you choose. All mine, except for a warrior or satin, I suppose because I now focus more on the steel and DLC isn't offered in the exotics. DLC isn't that important to me, but I will say from playing with my warrior, it's a great coating - pretty amazing. On H1, it doesn't really offer any benefit that stealth and let's be honest, I really don't require a stealth knife. :) But on regular steel, I suppose it gives you a little extra protection, albeit minor on something like an S30V which is rust and corrosion resistant in all but the worst conditions.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I love my DLC... it will micro scratch, but the coating is very good; besides, scratches make it look even better.

PS, you will chuckle and admire the Paramilitary 2 within seconds after holding it.

*Note mine has silver hardware & black blade - I believe a couple months ago they starting putting black hardware on the black DLC blades*

Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

i like satin because people don't think it is as scary as a tactical black blade.
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

:spyder: I suggest getting black on black and satin with digicam. :cool:
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

I'll cast a vote for satin with digicam. Thats what I have and it's my favorite Spyderco folder I own.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

knife nut404 wrote:i like satin because people don't think it is as scary as a tactical black blade.
I've. found that to be the exact opposite. I've. had both versions and it seems to me that the black subdues the presence of the blade more and makes it less intimidating. I believe part of what scares NKP is the shine of a blade and I think the black subdues the presence and size of the blade. I've noticed a lot less reaction when using mine at work vs the satin model I used to carry.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
knife nut404

Post by knife nut404 »

Evil D wrote:I've. found that to be the exact opposite. I've. had both versions and it seems to me that the black subdues the presence of the blade more and makes it less intimidating. I believe part of what scares NKP is the shine of a blade and I think the black subdues the presence and size of the blade. I've noticed a lot less reaction when using mine at work vs the satin model I used to carry.
your in ky i am in ca i think that has alot to do with how i have to carry knives around people :D
Spydies: edc forum manix 2
stag arms manix 2, endura 4,delica 4, ffg e4, para 2
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Evil D wrote:I've. found that to be the exact opposite. I've. had both versions and it seems to me that the black subdues the presence of the blade more and makes it less intimidating. I believe part of what scares NKP is the shine of a blade and I think the black subdues the presence and size of the blade. I've noticed a lot less reaction when using mine at work vs the satin model I used to carry.
Agreed 100%. On the other hand, if someone is 'brandishing' a knife irresponsibly, it could be pink and the sheeple will panic. For me, black is just a bit more discreet, and less obvious if used in public. I'd take black over satin any day.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Evil D wrote:Scratches add character! Every warrior has battle scars. DLC FTW!

You don't know the POWER of the Darkside... ;)
Yes!!!! Mwahahahahaha.

And yes new dlcs para 2s come with black hardware. Everything is black except the compression lock. I love mine.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
Taonari

Post by Taonari »

I think both look great. I have the satin blades, but agree that the DLC coated blades look great. Yes, the coating will come off with use, but I agree with the others that say it adds character. The coating won't inhibit your cutting ability. The only reason I could think for avoiding a coated blade would be if it bothers you when it comes off with use.
Roundabout136

Post by Roundabout136 »

I wish I had the black hardware on my DLC para2. I called spyderco and they wouldn't sell the black hardware to me.
DLC PM2, FFG Delica, Wave, ESEE 4, Izula