Ruined edge = ruined day

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Ruined edge = ruined day

Post by Evil D »

Few things can put me in a funk like ruining a nice fresh edge right at the start of my day. This morning i pull out my Para 2 and just as im about to use it, a coworker runs into me and knocks it out of my hand. It must have landed right on the edge because about half the edge is rolled pretty bad. I just touched it up before bed last night too.

Whats funny is there is a bit of a bright side of sorts. Ive found that once i know im gonna have to spend some quality time restoring an edge, i have no reason to baby it (not that i do anyway) and i can really lay into it and use it without mercy. I think thats the only thing that keeps me from being mad about it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
BAL

Post by BAL »

I feel your pain man. That makes me sick just reading about it, let alone how you must feel. I am sure that you will get it back up to speed soon. Did you say anything to your co-worker or just give him that "you DA look". I have had similar things happen though the years and I can't rest until I get it fixed.
Taonari

Post by Taonari »

Ouch! Sorry to hear that happened man. That would ruin my day too. What are the chances your knife would land that way again? That's crazy.
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

I'll never forget what one of my platoon sergeants did to a knife of mine years ago. A Benchmade folder with a tanto, chisel ground blade that was all the rage back then. We're out in the field and this turd asks to borrow my knife. He comes back a few minutes later, says "thanks" and walks off. I open my knife just out of curiosity and find the edge completely ruined. Come to find out, he'd used it to open some ammo cans, which involved cutting steel bands from around them. :eek:
pry

Post by pry »

The thought of that made me cringe. Thats why i never loan my nice knives out to people. Too many people have no respect for others property, or for their own for that matter.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Years ago I used to build houses and had a rocket rough-in hammer
that had the "waffles" (milled face) on the hitting surface that cost a lot
of money, especially since I was in college at the time. If you are a
rough-in carpenter, you know that you baby those waffles and only
use them to hit nails, nothing else. We would carry another old hammer
to use as a beater. The waffles keep the hammer head on the nail and
keep your fingers from being smashed to heck.

Our fraternity was building a float in college and someone wanted to
borrow my good hammer. I said be careful of the waffles, but when it
came back he had beat on a metal pipe of some sort and the head was
basically ruined. This way back in the late 70's and the 20-25 bucks for
the hammer was a lot of beer money to me to have to replace.

It may not seem like much now, but apparently it was to me, since it is now
some 35 years later and I still remember it. I still have the old hammer and
it's replacement. The waffles are completely flat on both and it has been
replaced now with a new 28oz Estwing. I think that it cost about the same
now as it did back then. Don't make sense.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I hate when an edge gets jacked up unnecessarily. This is ironic because I really like sharpening. I guess I don’t mind maintaining an edge than I have dulled, or putting a new geometry on one because it’s something I want to do. But, I don’t like having to redo an edge that has been screwed up because someone else has done it, because I screwed up, or because the steel didn’t perform as I had expected it to. One thing is for certain, a non-knife person will almost certainly not be able to empathize with this.
Fred S

Post by Fred S »

Back in the day, i had just put a shaving edge on a big ol Gerber Gator, and they guy I was working with asked to use it. He proceeded to shove it into a fiberglass insulated condensate return line and roll it all around in 2 places to remove a chunk of insulation about 6" long. Then he jabbed it in again to slice the piece the long way. He did a good job of making sure he smashed the entire edge into the pipe underneath real good and hard. Since it was a Gerber, the AUS8 was pretty soft and it rolled like crazy. You could use it like a cabinet scraper due to the massive rolled edge. Kind of a POS knife, but it still sucked since the edge was ~12 hrs old
Experience is something you get right after you need it :eek:
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

On the flip-side, you were bumped with an open knife and nobody is in the ER :) .
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Blerv wrote:On the flip-side, you were bumped with an open knife and nobody is in the ER :) .
That was my thought - if you had just opened your very-sharp knife and a coworker ran into you, he could have easily been disemboweled! :eek:
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
BAL

Post by BAL »

rodloos wrote:That was my thought - if you had just opened your very-sharp knife and a coworker ran into you, he could have easily been disemboweled! :eek:
In some states that considered justifiable emboweling.
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

Dang, that's a bummer, is the tip ok? I've had a similar instance, a friend dropped my black on black PM2 on the carpet and the very tip went missing. :( I was able to bring it back though, but it'll never be the needle point it was.

Also good to hear that no one got hurt!
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

It's better than chips. :D

I let some guy use my S90V Para 2 for like 10 seconds and it came back with enough chips in the edge that it almost looked like a SE from the belly to the tip, he hit metal with it more than a few times.

I just started laughing when I saw it, it was kinda funny really. :D

Fixed the edge without much trouble, maybe 10 mins or so on SIC.

It's a beater anyway. :)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Better a rolled edge than it landing on the tip and snapping that off!
Ankerson wrote:...S90V Para 2...

That's what the knife was designed to be and it makes me glad that you put it to hard work. Seems like too many of the S90V/CF knives become collector safe queens because of inflated aftermarket prices.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
DRKBC

Post by DRKBC »

Maybe to be safe you should just by another Para 2, I see there are some orange ones over at CS :)
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

:eek: id cringe a bit, since its only rolled, id do backwards strokes on my rods till straightened and microbevel it right back up :)
Random Chance

Post by Random Chance »

More than once I've dropped a brand new knife on the concrete floor and several times have messed up the edge or tip. My camo Para2 now has a slightly less fine tip than it did originally from one of these mishaps. The most recent slip was with my fresh out of the box moonglow manix 2 - fumbled it and it fell but thankfully the tip wasn't damaged, just flattened the edge a little behind the tip. The bad part is that I don't even have the excuse of someone bumping into me, everytime its happened to me its just a case of "skillethands" - or me trying to do something stupid like flicking it open and losing the handle. I agree that it can ruin your day!
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

You guys are all butter fingers lol. But yes that sucks, and its good you didnt stab them. I too never lend my knives out because I guarentee theyll be abused.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

I hate it when things I cherish get damaged. Drives me nuts. I'm already nuts but hey, point made.

So far no one has ever asked to borrow one of my Spydercos. Anyone who ever does is going to see me laugh loudly while shaking my head.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:It's better than chips. :D

I let some guy use my S90V Para 2 for like 10 seconds and it came back with enough chips in the edge that it almost looked like a SE from the belly to the tip, he hit metal with it more than a few times.

I just started laughing when I saw it, it was kinda funny really. :D

Fixed the edge without much trouble, maybe 10 mins or so on SIC.

Your beater is my holy grail....let me know when you get bored beating on that one and i'll take it off your hands ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David