My 2nd best friend

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jackburton9807

My 2nd best friend

Post by jackburton9807 »

After my wife, my 2nd best friend is my pack of Winstons; those guys are always there for me, through good times and bad. However, it's time to say goodbye to my pal and cast my dear pack of grits asunder. So, Dec 31 is my last day smoking. I'm nervous and sad just thinking about it, but it's truly time to stop.

Godspeed to me and Merry Christmas,
Jeff
racer88

Post by racer88 »

Best of luck. I'm a healthcare professional, and I have done an UNscientific survey of those who have successfully quit. The vast majority did it "cold turkey." And, the ONLY reason any of them quit was for their OWN reasons. YOU have to make that decision.

And, as a healthcare pro... I can tell you that it will be the BEST thing you've ever done for yourself. This is HUGE. And, it will be TOUGH. Best wishes and congratulations in advance. :cool:
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

I kicked the habit by just concentrating on not smoking my next cig. For instance, I loved my after-dinner smoke, so I resolved not to have my AD smoke FOR THAT DAY. TRied not to think of never smoking again. It's been a quarter century now since mt last smoke. Good luck.

Tod
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Jeff,
It is right thing to do. Stay strong and good luck.
Roman
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Thanks much, I'll need to encouragement.

Yeah, racer, I'm a paramedic and can't tell you how many COPDrs I've nasally intubated. What was the 1st thing I would do after the call? Yep, burn a smoke. Riduculous.

Thanks again everyone.
Jeff
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just think of what you spend in a month on smokes and how many knives and other toys you can buy with that cash...not to mention the years you'll add onto your life. Stick with it man, it'll be a ***** but you know it's for the best all around.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Congratulations KnifeBro! You got a rocky road ahead of you in the short-term, , but a much brighter future on the horizon I'm sure. Be sure to check in to let us know how you are making out.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Congrats on your decision. I can tell you it won't be easy, especially at first. I can also tell you it's well worth the effort required to stick with it. I quit seven years ago, doubt if I'd still be alive if I hadn't.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Wow, just did the math; nearly 200 extra bones every month. Yo 2, maybe another delica.
Even better; when I leave the gym and light up people look at me real weird, "weren't you just running on the treadmill?". What a moron. Though I do have pretty impressive cardio for a guy that kills a pack a day.

Thanks again everyone for all of the kind words,
Jeff
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

I've "quit" 4-5 times before. I think 3 months is the longest I've gone. At least I know what I'm in for. My wife quit 3 years ago and she swears that it's a good idea.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jackburton9807 wrote:Wow, just did the math; nearly 200 extra bones every month. Yo 2, maybe another delica.
Even better; when I leave the gym and light up people look at me real weird, "weren't you just running on the treadmill?". What a moron. Though I do have pretty impressive cardio for a guy that kills a pack a day.

Thanks again everyone for all of the kind words,
Jeff
Just think of how that cardio will improve after a year or so of letting your lungs recover after you quit.

Sorry...smoking is a sore subject with me so i'm ALL ABOUT motivating people to quit. I've been watching cigs kill my mother one day at a time for my entire life and she's now in the early stages of emphysema because of it. It's one of those things i just can't wrap my mind around, why people would start in the first place knowing what the end result is.
~David
Mano

Post by Mano »

hi jackburton9807,

I dont remember exactly for how long i quit smoking but its been more than 12 years, i did a pack a day and twice or even more on weekends.

Like racer88 said i quit cold turkey, and it was funny because i was collecting all the packs to throw away and found out that i had more stashed than i thought i had.

My cousin saw what i was doing and told me to do not waste it and give it to her, i just thought in my head i would rather waste the cigarrettes and not a cousin, and just said no and to the garbage they went (a few years later she quit too).

Your biggest problem is clear on your title, if you have any part of your being considering the smokes are or were your friend or something that made you better, you will long for it.

It was not your friend, it was there on times you had it tough, but it was definitely not helping you, it was merely a relaxing distraction, while it was seeping inside you taking your body from you even if you are (or think you are) in good shape, GET IT BACK.

I see your work and calling is in helping others in health care, if you really want to help even more people that you already do, then dont feed money to the companies that will have more capital to invest on making more cigarrettes that will kill and make suffer millions.

Good luck and be strong, you can do it.

and btw dont do like a lot of people i know did and smoke like a chimeney the last days before they quit, its just a lot of damage.
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

"Quitting's easy. I've done it 10 times already"

Haha, but seriously, good luck.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Well, I'm at day 0 + 4. I feel much better than I thought I might and MUCH better than the previous time. I'm using the patch and am quite pleased with myself. My mood swings at home and about have been nonexistent, a far cry from before. I think I'm just ready to be done this time.

Here's the rub; at work its not quite the same, I've found myself in a state of constant flake out. I have little tolerance for some things there and I dealt with them by walking away for a moment and burning one. I tried taking a stroll and other things but could not keep it together. I picked up an e-cig and it was like a huge dose of benzos, just what I needed.

Now I'm home, the esmoke is at work and all is good. Thanks everyone.

Jeff
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's all a mental thing. When you got frustrated at work, you had something to lean on to ease that frustration. You need another healthy outlet to deal with it.
~David
jackburton9807

Post by jackburton9807 »

Does bonking people's heads together like coconuts count?

Jeff
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

jackburton9807 wrote:Does bonking people's heads together like coconuts count?

Jeff
Absolutely :D

I can't say i've ever dealt with an addiction like smoking, but i had a period where i was a heavy drinker. I quit cold turkey, but it left this void where i used that to take out my frustrations and when i quit i didn't have that outlet anymore. I got into cars and haven't looked back. That was 12 years ago, haven't had any alcohol besides Nyquil since.
~David
Adriaan

Post by Adriaan »

Minibear453 wrote:"Quitting's easy. I've done it 10 times already"

Haha, but seriously, good luck.
Yeah LOL, i'm in a very stressy period right now but in 3 weeks time (when it's calmer) i'm going to quit smoking cold turkey. 2012 wil be a year that i'm not going to drink a single drop of alcohol and that i will stop smoking. Not because i have to, but because i want to. I'm 25 years old and i want to continue my life sober and healty. I go normally 4-5 times a week to the gym lifting weights and now i want to start running. In Belgium/Europe people are very lax towards alcohol and smoking and it's not uncommon that children (12 years+ drink alcohol or smoke) These thing are slowly beginning to change. Alcohol and tobacco is now "forbidden" if you are younger then 16 in my country. But in reality parents let their children drink a glas now and then. Remember Belgium is the land of beer and France for example the land of wine. Smoking is more taboo right now. People start to be anti smoking in general.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Good job, jack. I saw my aunt waste away from lung cancer and my grandmother from emphizema (spelling?). There is no way I will smoke - it is a death sentence, IMO. Good luck and I know you will succeed because you are mentally set. ;)
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I quit two years ago on Halloween and man did it suck for the first few weeks. I went cold turkey and it took a lot of determination, but is the best thing in the world you can do for yourself.

Pick up an exercise program as you begin to taste food again, you will eat more and pack on some pounds.

Best of luck.