Does anyone else see the color of steels?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Does anyone else see the color of steels?

Post by Evil D »

This is a funny question but am i the only one who has noticed how different steels have different colors to them? ZDP in particular has a very unique shade to it...i can't really even describe it or say what color it's close to, it just has this glow to it, it's not quite as "chrome" as other steels like there's this ever so slight amount of gold to it. VG10 on the other hand is much more chrome in color, and on every knife i've seen in this steel there is this trademark grain to the steel that's easy to see because it goes the opposite direction of the grind lines. It's really easy to see on my Cento 4 on the part where it's hollow ground. Those are the only two that really have anything unique about them that i've noticed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

I've def. noticed the chrome-like color in VG-10...I dig it!
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

To be honest, the grainy thing about VG10...is one of the things i really don't like about that steel. It's not something that would ever hold me back from buying it, but it's one of those things that if i were going to be really nit picky about it then that's what would bother me about it. S30V, i don't know if there's so much a color difference, but i will say it always has the most awesome machined finish to it..it's one of my favorite things about Spyderco S30V knives.
~David
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Im comparing stonewashed blades. Vg10 has a lot of luster, 13c26 is a little brighter, H1 is DARK, almost like it has a patina :D
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think it has to do with how good of a shine you can put on them.

My first tungsten carbide ring wasn't very mirror like, it had a gray hint to it. My second one is very mirror like.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Donut wrote:I think it has to do with how good of a shine you can put on them.

My first tungsten carbide ring wasn't very mirror like, it had a gray hint to it. My second one is very mirror like.
look at some of kershaws (or ZTs) knives with fused steels.

Theres one with 154cm at the spine and D2 at the edge, big colour change, d2 is darker. Theres one with 14c27 at the back and ZDP at the edge , the zdp is darker. :)
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Now that you mention it I do see the gold tone to ZDP 189.
O.
Heespharm

Post by Heespharm »

Yeah 440c has a gunmetal grayish color
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

I notice...I also notice a huge difference between my 154cm dlc and s30v dlc. Guess the dlc binds to the metals differently. Where as the s30v feels more coarse the 154cm is smooth.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Drkknight614 wrote:I notice...I also notice a huge difference between my 154cm dlc and s30v dlc. Guess the dlc binds to the metals differently. Where as the s30v feels more coarse the 154cm is smooth.
hmm, interesting. or it could be coat thickness :rolleyes:
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

There's definitely a colour to the steel itself, and you'll also see a thin layer of colored oxide on the surface after it's heated. (Tempering temps range from yellow to purple.) That skin effect is ground/polished out, but there's always a slight shift in colour on the surface of a metal due to oxidation, plenty of things (including, but not limited to, alloys) could shift that slightly.

I've heard one knifemaker say he could get an irridescent 'rainbow' effect by inducing sympathetic vibrations in the quench tank... he also likes to forge 'special' blades under the full moon, or during solstice days...
—Daniel Jackson
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I'm glad to learn I wasn't the only one who can tell subtle differences in steel types. Not all, but some have different ways they reflect light. As for the graininess in VG-10, , ,it is very apparent on my SuperLeaf.
G10KnifeNut

Post by G10KnifeNut »

if you looks close at vg10 on an angle you can see a rainbow of colors you dont see in other metals :) also in the light on an angle vg10 looks like it has a "water" pattern on it like a flowing stream. anyone else notice this? i love it, vg 10 is a beautiful steel!!! i HAVE to polish up a vg blade soon, i bet thatll polish up to a nice mirror!! :D
dsmegst

Post by dsmegst »

Now you all have gotten me staring at my knives. :) The CTS-XHP blade has a gold tone and a darker tone than S30V or VG-10 but not as dark as ZDP. The SB Caly3.5 is all flat toned with spots and tannish color to it.

Speaking of polishing, AUS-8 also takes a **** of a shine. But I'm not doing that again. :)
Dan (dsmegst)

:spyder:
Latest 10: Techno, Centofante Memory, Bradley Air, Tuff, M390 Blue Para 2 (2), Yojimbo 2, Des Horn, DiAlex Junior, Native 5, Chaparral
:spyder:
Donut

Post by Donut »

razorsharp wrote:look at some of kershaws (or ZTs) knives with fused steels.

Theres one with 154cm at the spine and D2 at the edge, big colour change, d2 is darker. Theres one with 14c27 at the back and ZDP at the edge , the zdp is darker. :)
I am pretty sure that the lines and the patterns on Kershaw blades do not correlate where the steels transition.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
CrimsonTideShooter

Post by CrimsonTideShooter »

Donut wrote:I am pretty sure that the lines and the patterns on Kershaw blades do not correlate where the steels transition.
Yep. That is exactly where the two different steels meet. You can clearly see the difference in the steels at that division. Kershaw/ZT just makes the division line have patterns so it looks cool.

I'm sitting here staring at my ZT 350 composite blade. It's 14C as the carriage material and ZDP-189 at the cutting edge. You can clearly see that the ZDP is a different hue than the 14C. It's pretty noticeable.

I'll add a pic in when I'm done with my coffee.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Yeah, I've definitely always noticed it.

VG-10 is very bright, and has an almost wood-like grain pattern to it.

S30V is a more somber, but looks really cool and clean.

AUS-8 has a bright chrome to it too, but is very plain, without a grain pattern like VG-10.
BAL

Post by BAL »

I see steel colors.
Wasn't that in a Bruce Willis movie.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

G10KnifeNut wrote:if you looks close at vg10 on an angle you can see a rainbow of colors you dont see in other metals :) also in the light on an angle vg10 looks like it has a "water" pattern on it like a flowing stream. anyone else notice this? i love it, vg 10 is a beautiful steel!!! i HAVE to polish up a vg blade soon, i bet thatll polish up to a nice mirror!! :D
That water pattern is the grain i was talking about. I can't really see any rainbows though...are you sure you're feeling ok? :D
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Alright, two people have said it and I don't believe it for one second. I searched for regrinds or people who have stripped the blades on these knives and found nothing. I started to write Tom Krein an email, but I think it would be much easier to just call nanigans. Below I am showing four examples of composite blades from kershaw. I have nothing against the company, but I don't like seeing people believing something that is obviously not true.

1. It would be MUCH more difficult to bind metals together in a very specific pattern to match a knife.
2. It would be MUCH more expensive to bind metals together to match the knife. Some of these examples are probably impossible to do.
3. They are putting a line on the knives already, why wouldn't they just show the two sections differently?
4. Would they really give you 90% of the edge with D2 and the rest with the other steel?

Seriously, give me some proof other than just word of mouth that they are really going out of their way to make the steel on these knives amazing, especially on the lower end models of the brand.

-Brian
A distinguished lurker.