Mule work: What machines do you use?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
cncyana

Mule work: What machines do you use?

Post by cncyana »

I don't have a machine shop and I assume most of you don't either.

What machines do you use to make your handles? Dremels or something else?

For those who have reshaped the blade blank, what do you use to remove metal from that hardened blade blank?

Just trying to get some ideas. Can't find a machine shop willing to rent time for using it's grinders.

Thanks.

Revelations 20: The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books...Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

All you need is a drill press with a spindle sander attachment to do most of the shaping, metal, wood whatever. A bandsaw helps to bookmatch wood and cut a rough outline prior to shaping. A belt sander can help you attain flat sides and equal handle thickness, as well as exterior radius's.

Between those three machines you can pretty much make anything, knives included. If you can only buy one, go with a drill press. Delta has a great table top model for around $200. Spindle attachments range from $10-35 a set, then you should be pretty much good to go! Hope this helps!
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Then your next move should be a quality bandsaw!
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Actually, I use mostly hand tools to make mine - by choice. Nothing like the satisfaction of using your own two hands.

If this is your route, you'll need a couple of good files (10" flat and half round), a coping saw, a couple of pin punches and some appropriate-sized pin stock, and a vise of some sort. Not to mention sand paper, polishing compound, etc. You can purchase all this for the price of a decent tabletop drill press.

Don't get me wrong, I love my drill press. Its just that some times I prefer to take things into my own hands! :cool:

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

cncyana wrote:What machines do you use to make your handles? Dremels or something else?

Stationary beltgrinder, Dremel, drillpress, files, saw, sandpaper.For those who have reshaped the blade blank, what do you use to remove metal from that hardened blade blank?

Stationary beltgrinder
Just trying to get some ideas. Can't find a machine shop willing to rent time for using it's grinders.'

Get your own :rolleyes: It is my most used machine for metal, wood and leather!
Cheers,
Tomas
Tom
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

A drill press is all I use unless I'm changing the handle shape, in which case I use a bench grinder that I picked up at a garage sale for $10. I prefer to shape the handles with hand tools.

Gordon
cncyana

Post by cncyana »

Thanks for your suggestions once again.

gaj999, were you the one who reworked the handle and made it shorter?

Wasn't the hardened metal too hard to work? At least by hand. If you reworked the radii on the handle where the fingers go, how did you do that?
MCM

Post by MCM »

saw,drill, bench grinder, files, dremel, rotary files, vice, sander, sandpaper, epoxy.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... t=tutorial

....and there is a part 2 as well. Use the search-function...
Tom
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Tom
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

cncyana wrote:gaj999, were you the one who reworked the handle and made it shorter?
I used a bench grinder to remove the guard and the part of the handle that hooks down behind the little finger, making the end of the handle into an oval shape. It might be a touch shorter, but the feel is very different.