The Strongest lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
HellHound

The Strongest lock?

Post by HellHound »

Hey guys, so I was thinking what lock could take the most abuse before cracking down, like batoning and spine wacking and other abusive use, between a liner lock (military), compression lock(para1 or 2) and caged ball(manix2)?
Rank them from the most to least resistent. If there was a thread like this before then I would really want to see the opinions and results. Thanks for your thoughts guys.
thewannabesurvivalist
jossta

Post by jossta »

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=c ... 32&bih=601

Relevant quote from Sal:
sal wrote:Hi Poodle,

We've gotten to the point where we can make most locks as strong as we plan for. The Lockback as seen on the Chinook (Manix & 83mm), the ball bearing, Compression and the new Stop-lock can be built into the Very Heavy Duty (MBC - 200 inch/lbs per inch of blade length) range. We select materials and dimentions to meet the requirement we sedt for the model.

We've not been able to get Walker linerlocks or "framelocks" into that range due to the long spring.......yet. But we're still developing.

I think most locks can be made to be strong and reliable if the manufacturer extends the effort.

sal

Also, for Batoning, you can basically do it with any folder (not that you would want to), but I would just do it with it unlocked.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

What Jossta said/quoted. The same kind of lock can vary from model to model, as it can be beefed up a lot. For example, a lockback on the Chinook is much stronger than a lockback on a Dragonfly 2. The best lock for abuse is no lock at all. Fixed blades will stand up to batoning, spine-whacking, and other abuse much better.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
salimoneus

Post by salimoneus »

Honestly not a big fan of the ball bearing lock, I'd probably put the compression and lockback at the top of the heap. Don't know anything about the new Stop-lock.

Surely opinions will vary greatly on this, but I doubt most of us are even qualified to have an opinion (including me) as we're not engineers nor have we ever done any real world testing to the point of failure.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

of the three choices, I would put the military as probably the weakest of the three (and it isn't a weak lock) then I would maybe give the smallest ever edge to the compression lock on the para2, but would probably take the manix 2 for harder use.
On the hunt for...
jossta

Post by jossta »

Yeah, I think the comp lock gets the edge of the 3, but I wouldn't use my Para as hard as I would a Manix just b/c of the blade shape/tip. For harder use in a comp lock, I would go for the Super Leaf.
Mad

Post by Mad »

Where does the lock on the endura 4 stand?
jossta

Post by jossta »

Endura is "Heavy Duty" which is (I think) one level below MBC. This is probably where the Military stands. I think the Manix and the Para are both MBC which is 200lbs/inch. Not sure what the rating of heavy duty is.
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I have never broke any lock,on any knife I've ever owned. So i would say any spyderco lock will hold the blade open.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

In general think the contest would be between the manix and para,I just need a lock that could handle extreme use if needed in an urban or an wilderness environment if the need should arise, not very likely but you never know.
thewannabesurvivalist
jossta

Post by jossta »

Honestly, if you can carry a 4" knife, I would go with Military, especially for the wilderness environment. I really doubt the lock will fail. Otherwise, Superleaf, Para and Manix are all good options.

Other option is to find a second hand C95 Manix. That thing will do everything you ever wanted and more. Only thing I don't like about lockbacks is that they're harder to clean.

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/con ... SMF-review

I really really really really really really really really wish they would do a sprint of the C95. I would buy it in any steel, but in 3v or Elmax I would be in heaven.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jossta wrote:
I really really really really really really really really wish they would do a sprint of the C95. I would buy it in any steel, but in 3v or Elmax I would be in heaven.
Like. :D
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd take a C95 in just about any steel!! Especially an XL C95...
On the hunt for...
jossta

Post by jossta »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Like. :D
Does that make 2 things we agree on :p ?
I_like_sharp_things

Post by I_like_sharp_things »

Why is lock strength always such an issue? When cutting, force is being applied opposite of the direction the lock is holding the blade open to. To me it seems the only way the lock would fail ever is if you apply force down from the spine of the blade. Is there something I'm missing here?
Spyder Count: 7
araneae

Post by araneae »

I love these types of speculation threads. I tend to keep my urban batoning to a real minimum so I'll sit this one out. Sal's quote in the 2nd post pretty much says it all.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Zendemic

Post by Zendemic »

I_like_sharp_things wrote:Why is lock strength always such an issue? When cutting, force is being applied opposite of the direction the lock is holding the blade open to. To me it seems the only way the lock would fail ever is if you apply force down from the spine of the blade. Is there something I'm missing here?
Who knows, i'm kind of lost when it comes to this stuff. If I somehow break my folder's lock it means I wasn't using the right tool for the task at hand, and probably deserved to cut myself.

though to answer the original poster's question (and purely on speculation), i'd have to rate them Comp. lock, liner lock, then CBBL.
1*
If only there was Ti Para2 or H1 Assist...
:spyder:Come chat with us on IRC!:spyder:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/TheMediocrePirate]My Youtube Channel!

[/b][/URL]
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jossta wrote:Does that make 2 things we agree on :p ?
Hmmm I dunno, do we agree that we agree on two things? :p
TBob

Post by TBob »

Sal said it best. Personally, I've never broken or compromised the lock on any knife in my entire life, not even the cheapest ones I had decades ago as a teen. Therefore, I'm not the least bit concerned with any Spyderco's lock strength.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
vic

Post by vic »

HellHound wrote:Hey guys, so I was thinking what lock could take the most abuse before cracking down, like batoning and spine wacking and other abusive use, between a liner lock (military), compression lock(para1 or 2) and caged ball(manix2)?
Rank them from the most to least resistent. If there was a thread like this before then I would really want to see the opinions and results. Thanks for your thoughts guys.
the liner lock would fail almost instantly, the manix 2 lock also

don't know about the compression lock, it might last a bit longer

a strong lockback might withstand batoning and spine whacking etc but not the locks you asked about no way