Is the Spyderco Edge being phased out?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
EzGoingKev

Is the Spyderco Edge being phased out?

Post by EzGoingKev »

I can remember when Spyderco first started out and that edge was like one of their trademarks.

Now it seems like a lot of the newer knives that come out are only available with a plain edge.

What is the deal?
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I hope it never gets phased out. It is one of my favorite edges for a couple knives, but I agree that it is not the majority when it comes to popularity.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

looks like it unfortunately. doubt it will go away but i dont think it will be the 1st edge type on all the knives.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Customer preference.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

EzGoingKev wrote:I can remember when Spyderco first started out and that edge was like one of their trademarks.

Now it seems like a lot of the newer knives that come out are only available with a plain edge.

What is the deal?
Spyderco is a business. If something does not sell, they don't have an incentive to keep making it. While SE sells well on sheepsfoot and hawkbill blades, and on the Police, it has lost popularity in recent years on other types of blades.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

I agree, , it will probably not be completely phased out any time in the near future, because there are some appreciable benefits to having a serrated edge for certain applications. However, consumers vote with their wallets, and in the macro, I suspect the vote is overwhelmingly plain edge for most Spyderco models.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Short Answer: No.

Longer answer: Edge preferences sell by demand. There are more serrated Spydies than any other brand and they actually get the pattern correct for performance (go figure). What more, you can actually get a full edge of them which is amazing considering the combo-edge society we live in with the other makers. Hawkbills, rescues, etc.

It seems Spyderco frequently starts off with CE and SE and then discontinues them per model if they don't sell. The collaborations typically come plain edge only. Even at current standing 30-50% of the knives are available with some variety of teeth which is pretty impressive considering the demand.

I'm personally MORE afraid of the current trend towards jimping and G10. I personally like some knives as FRN and Ed Schempp's knives that come jimp-free are gorgeous. I guess we live in a grip-tape world. /sigh
EzGoingKev

Post by EzGoingKev »

I can understand making products people will buy, but to me that means making more of one type of blade and less of another. The combo blades are a good compromise and are fairly popular and I do not see any of those being offered either.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

EzGoingKev wrote:... The combo blades are a good compromise and are fairly popular and I do not see any of those being offered either.
Not IMHO, I either take PE or SE. CE just gives me less usable edge of any kind. Also, I find that for my uses, a well sharpened PE will do anything that I need it to do.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think it will stay around on particular models but i don't see it being offered on as many models like it has been in the past. If nothing else maybe we can hope for some Spyderedge sprint runs maybe?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cckw

Post by cckw »

A serrated knife can be very handy, and I have a couple that I use and like. But it is much harder to keep the edge you want on a serrated vs plain edge. I think that has a lot to do with the trend you have noticed. And by the way, in my view, a combo edge is taking 2+2 and getting 1.5
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

EzGoingKev wrote:I can understand making products people will buy, but to me that means making more of one type of blade and less of another. The combo blades are a good compromise and are fairly popular and I do not see any of those being offered either.
It's not as if Sal has given up on them, Spyderco's customers have. He keeps trying, people keep turning up their noses and dealers don't want to tie up their capital in slow moving stock when there are faster selling models they could buy with it. Spyderco made the FRN VG-10 Stretch in PE, SE, and CE. The CE wound up getting closed out at a price that was probably below cost and the SE is now being closed out at a discount prices. I suspect that by 2012 the only FRN UKPK with teeth will be the Rescue version.

I understand how you feel, I keep wishing for a PE version of the 79mm Rescue or Saver Salt. But I'm enough of a realist to understand that just because I want it, does not mean it would be salable.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

Coincidentally, I was talking with a former coworker of mine (from the east coast) just today who still works in the commercial maritime industry and he was/is looking for a new knife and really wants SE, ,because he cuts a lot of line. For him it's a useful edge; and the applications he runs across 'day to day' warrant it. For me, I don't cut much, if any, line any more and therefore much prefer PE. So it's a matter of what you're doing with your knife day to day. I'm glad Spyderco still offers it on some models, but it doesn't hurt my feelings that the offerings are limited. I'm sure others (like my coworker) are singing a different tune.

Also, I agree, , CE is pretty much a waste of two otherwise good edges.
ceya

Post by ceya »

I like CE blades, it like having the best of both worlds.

When you need to cut some like a line on ships, you wish you had SE and then turn around and cut a box etc.

It has it purpose , just like PE and SE.

S/F,
CEYA!
"Stay in the fight because we are Marines and the mission will be complete regardless of degree of difficulty."

by CEYA!
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

I most sincerely hope not, there are already too few being made (in my opinion) I wish they were more popular because I'm personally am one of those that would take a spyderedge over a plain most any day for most any application. I think its unfortunate that its enough of a minority that I can't even get a para 2 with teeth and the 4th plain version is just around the corner now... Really bums me out.
philthygeezer

Post by philthygeezer »

Nothing cuts through rope and rubber like a Spyderedge. I'd be lost without that option.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i think the spyder edge is slowing going away for some reason.

as much of a fan I am of Spyderco i also see the quality of the Spyderco going down the drain due to china & other countries building Spyderco latley. It seems like the cheaper the knife is the more fame it gets and also the more people buy it, which is typical of why our country is hurting.

the knives arent the same as they used to be.......
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

This thread just got very interesting.
EzGoingKev

Post by EzGoingKev »

SQSAR wrote: Also, I agree, , CE is pretty much a waste of two otherwise good edges.
For those of looking for a Spyderedge it is sometimes the only option.
philthygeezer wrote:Nothing cuts through rope and rubber like a Spyderedge. I'd be lost without that option.
Those two examples are EXACTLY the reason I want a Spyderedge.
RIOT wrote: as much of a fan I am of Spyderco i also see the quality of the Spyderco going down the drain due to china & other countries building Spyderco latley. It seems like the cheaper the knife is the more fame it gets and also the more people buy it, which is typical of why our country is hurting.
While this is off topic, I believe they have expanded their lines to reach more people. There are people with $50 budgets, $200 budgets, unlimited budgets.

The same GM that made the Corvette also made a Chevette. Different strokes for different folks.

Spyderco's China line is great for people on limited budgets or for a knife that might be something that gets tossed around as a spare, left in a tool box, or tossed in a glove compartment.
RIOT wrote: the knives arent the same as they used to be.......
Unfortunately that could be said about everything today.

I see new designs being offered that I like and then am disappointed they are not offered with a Spyderedge.

I would also like to see some factory tanto style edges to (w/ the combo edge).
Teddy Thompson

Is there an alternate Spyderco universe I'm not aware of?

Post by Teddy Thompson »

RIOT wrote:i think the spyder edge is slowing going away for some reason.

as much of a fan I am of Spyderco i also see the quality of the Spyderco going down the drain due to china & other countries building Spyderco latley. It seems like the cheaper the knife is the more fame it gets and also the more people buy it, which is typical of why our country is hurting.

the knives arent the same as they used to be.......
Yep, aside from all the really well made models coming out of Taiwan, the improved F&F of the recent Golden ones, the dozens of well made models coming out of Japan, and the excellent value the Chinese models offer in terms of quality for their price point, you're absolutely right. :rolleyes:
Support your right to keep and arm bears!