Balance the usurper

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dbcad

Balance the usurper

Post by dbcad »

For the past 4 or 5 years a little Fox folder has been my EDC small knife. That changed some after I purchased the Balance. Now the Balance has almost completely taken over the Fox's role.

It really took hold during this holiday season. The Balance just felt so much more secure for opening tough packaging. I've never felt better cutting open those tough clam packs. The control I felt when using it is truly remarkable :D It's robust nature also contributes to the very secure feel this little knife imparts. For small precise tasks the Balance is now my favorite :) I really think I'm feeling what Mr Schemp was after when he designed this knife.

IMHO this is a tool that really needs to be used hard to be appreciated. Yesterday I cut a precise cardboard template to use for jackbolt placement on a machine at work. The Balance was perfect for the job.

The Fox is still a really nice little folder, but I can say the Balance has almost completely usurped it's position. It is truly a little big knife :D
Attachments
balance and fox.jpg
balance and fox.jpg (82.87 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I love it too--blade angle makes for an extremely strong and safe feeling little cutter. My experience with most Ed Schempp Spydercos is that I need to have them in my hand in order to appreciate the genius. If you can find a Spyderco Kukri, the cutting angle is substantially similar.
CKE

Post by CKE »

I checked one out a month or so back and it was a lot smaller than I thought from pictures I had seen. I have no doubts about it's daily utility uses and paired with a 4 inch fixed blade or folder you would definetly have all your bases covered. Plus I don't think it would scare the average person if you pulled it out to knock a loose thread off.

I hope to check one out in the future.

Nice Score!
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

The Balance is definitely one awesome little blade...love mine! :)
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban