Stainless Steel Handle...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FissionMailed

Stainless Steel Handle...

Post by FissionMailed »

I'm looking into getting a Harpy with SS handles as a dress knife, but Im wondering, is there horizontal blade play and what do I do if I develop some? Is it the same as riveted knives? Thanks!
SpydieDelica4

Post by SpydieDelica4 »

On my SS delica, i had no blade play in either direction. The handles scratch kind of easily though, i don't know if that's an issue for you. You can't adjust a SS knife AFAIK, i don't know about the harpy specifically. I know on my buck 110, i closed it in a thick phone book and hammered in the pivot area to tighten it up.
gunnut35

Post by gunnut35 »

I have a SS Endura 1, (might be a 2) and it locks up tight. I have a ss Harpy on the way and have not heard of too many issues with blade movement on them . If i have any issues i would just send it to Spyderco.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The Harpy tends to be tight, at least all of mine are. The combination of a relatively short blade and hawkbill should help keep it that way. They reduce the user's inclination to put a lot of side pressure on the blade. If side play ever develops , treatment is the similar to that for a riveted knife, squeeze the handles together gently, then peen the pin. However, unlike peening a rivet, peening a flush pin will leave your knife looking like ****.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

My 15 year old harpy still has no blade play. Have fun with it. It's a cool blade.
jujigatame

Post by jujigatame »

I wouldn't be concerned much over play based on my experience with SS handles. They've always been snug and smooth.
~ Nate
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I dont have a harpy, but I can say for the Endura/Delica line that the SS handled models seem to have tighter tolerances almost always. I think you'll be ok.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple