Why are we drawn Â… ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
On Edge

Why are we drawn … ?

Post by On Edge »

Thought it would be interesting to get different ideas on why certain people are so drawn to, and enamored by ... knives.

Certainly it has to do with their capabilities, their ability to provide comfort (food, self defense, etc), along with the potential they represent as tools, but beyond that, some of us are just "drawn" beyond rational explanation to collect and own and bask …

So … what do you think separates a Knife Person from the herd … ?

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

Man's oldest tool!
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

'Cause we're all giant nerds who think we're cool :p
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

A reliable weapon. Won't jam, won't run out of ammo,easily replacable.
thewannabesurvivalist
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

HellHound wrote:A reliable weapon. Won't jam, won't run out of ammo,easily replacable.
Also extremely hard to deploy/use under stress.

Not to mention, people have a very strong natural aversion to wanting to stab another person (which happens to be the only really effective way to kill with a knife), for various psychological reasons.

Every wonder why soldiers used to get drilled so much in bayonet charges? To try and over-write that.

The reality is, most of us, including myself, are probably going to be useless at using a knife as a weapon without relentless training, despite what others claim...

Still makes me feel a little better to have one in my back-pocket though. I guess that makes me a fool :p
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I was very involved in the scouting program growing up. As a cub scout, and then a boy scout, we learned about how useful these tools are. I guess that being exposed to knives and learning to appreciate their practicality at such a young age has stuck with me. Being trusted with such a powerful instrument left quite an impression.

My mind has always been interested in well engineered and esthetically pleasing items; whether it be cars, architecture, aircraft, knives, or many other things. It just so happens that knives are the one semi-affordable highly engineered things that I can afford. Who knows, if I were much wealthier, maybe I'd be collecting exotic sports cars, classic art, or historical buildings instead! But I'd like to think I'd still have my Spydercos.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Don't know if I can put my finger on just one definable thing that draws me to knives. As long as I can remember...from a very young age...I've loved knives of all kinds...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
burntrice

Post by burntrice »

jabba359 wrote:I was very involved in the scouting program growing up. As a cub scout, and then a boy scout, we learned about how useful these tools are. I guess that being exposed to knives and learning to appreciate their practicality at such a young age has stuck with me. Being trusted with such a powerful instrument left quite an impression.
Ditto. I was a Cub, a Scout then a Venture Scout. Dont think i've been without a knife since about the age of 10, I can still remember whittling woggles, making bivouacs, backwoods cooking, all of which could not be done without your trusty knife.

Nowadays Scouts are not allowed to bring knifes unless accompanied by thier parent (in the UK) What a shame kids now are being taught a knife is a weapon first, a tool second.
Bill Moran Lightweight :spyder: G10 Dragonfly :spyder: Bug :spyder: Sage III :spyder: Delica 4 FFG :spyder: Bob Terzuola :spyder: UKPK Ti :spyder: Brad Southard :spyder: Domino :spyder: Squeak
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I love knives because:

1. I appreciate the versatility of the knife as a tool including a tool for defense.
2. I appreciate good workmanship and fine materials that often go together in a quality knife.
3. I appreciate the "mechanicalness" and "gadgetness" of a fine folding knife. This probably speaks volumes about my "nerdiness".
iwolf81

Post by iwolf81 »

jabba359 wrote:I was very involved in the scouting program growing up. As a cub scout, and then a boy scout, we learned about how useful these tools are. I guess that being exposed to knives and learning to appreciate their practicality at such a young age has stuck with me. Being trusted with such a powerful instrument left quite an impression.

My mind has always been interested in well engineered and esthetically pleasing items; whether it be cars, architecture, aircraft, knives, or many other things. It just so happens that knives are the one semi-affordable highly engineered things that I can afford. Who knows, if I were much wealthier, maybe I'd be collecting exotic sports cars, classic art, or historical buildings instead! But I'd like to think I'd still have my Spydercos.
+1

I couldn't have explained it better myself!

Regards,
Ira
D3 CE, FG D4 CE Krein'd, Blue D4 FFG, Pink D4, Caly3 SE, USN E4 CE, Pink E4 CE, E4 ZDP-189 SE, FG E4 CE, E4 G10 FFG, Tenacious SE, Para SE, Para D2, Millie D2, ATR SE, Orange Assist I, Blue Rescue 93, Khukuri, Barong, Meerkat, Ladybug H1 SE, Manix 2 XHP, Rock Salt, S90V Mule Krein'd, JD Smith Sprint, Brown Matriarch SE, Poliwog, Stretch CE, Millie M4/Ti, Rock Lobster, Zulu, Rescue 79, D'Allara Rescue, LadyHawk SE, Lum Tanto Sprint, Dragonfly G10, Chaparral, Sage I, Caspian, Gayle Bradley
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

HotSoup wrote:'Cause we're all giant nerds who think we're cool :p
That's probably the biggest reason. :) But seriously I think that knives offer a sense of security, and that can draw people in, it's a preparedness thing.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

FLYBYU44 wrote:That's probably the biggest reason. :) But seriously I think that knives offer a sense of security, and that can draw people in, it's a preparedness thing.
+1 for preparedness, with a "helpfulness" tint.

For me it is also about hand tools of all varieties--heck, I spent hours finding the perfect framer's nail set.
unit

Post by unit »

quattrokid73 wrote:Man's oldest tool!
I think the hammer is probably the oldest tool (unless you want to count the human hand as a tool). Either way, I think there is more to it than age.

Part of it is the versatility/handiness that is ALSO totally portable, but also "tunable".

By "tunable" I mean that a knife can be improved in performance for various tasks. A hammer basically works one way and no amount of polishing/modification will dramatically change how hard you must swing it to perform a task, but a knife can be sharpened such that it will work far better than some might expect. I think this has a lot to do with why *I* am enamored with knives.
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

jabba359 wrote:My mind has always been interested in well engineered and esthetically pleasing items; whether it be cars, architecture, aircraft, knives, or many other things. It just so happens that knives are the one semi-affordable highly engineered things that I can afford. Who knows, if I were much wealthier, maybe I'd be collecting exotic sports cars, classic art, or historical buildings instead! But I'd like to think I'd still have my Spydercos.
That is exactly where I am. I love well crafted things. Ive collected watches, pens/fountain pens and now knives 95% Spydies. They are affordable and useful. I probably would collect guns, but I cant use them that much and they are really expensive. Same goes for cars, but even more expensive.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I can't find anything written so far that doesn't reflect some my own thoughts.

The only thing I'd add is that knives are symbols of power, self-reliance and adventure. I find that the modern world seldom scratches our need for daring and testing ourselves. My pocket knife feels like a place marker for the long periods between real adventures.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Perry

Post by Perry »

I was very involved in the scouting program growing up. As a cub scout, and then a boy scout, we learned about how useful these tools are. I guess that being exposed to knives and learning to appreciate their practicality at such a young age has stuck with me. Being trusted with such a powerful instrument left quite an impression.

The only thing I'd add is that knives are symbols of power, self-reliance and adventure. I find that the modern world seldom scratches our need for daring and testing ourselves. My pocket knife feels like a place marker for the long periods between real adventures.
Yes and Yes!

"My pocket knife feels like a place marker for the long periods between real adventures".

This quote in particular strikes a cord with me. I think a lot of us have lost our connection to our natural history. We just don't intersect with the great outdoors—or knife reliance—as much as we used to, and yet our desire to connect remains. For me, knives are an iconic tool that pacifies these desires until I need to skin-out that next fox.
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

I find that I am drawn towards well-designed, well-made, useful tools whose physically smaller size makes them very easy to lug around. I don't edc a lot of stuff (compared to the public), but a good compact pocketknife, compact flashlight, lighter and cell phone seems to cover a awful lot of potential uses.

I'm not sure why I settled on Spydies (I thought they were ugly, at first), but at this point in time I am extremely brand-loyal, and I'm not always that way.

I'm fascinated by the fact that decades ago, a lot of men carried slipjoint folders in their pockets, and over the years, somehow that trend fell out of favor.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

This some great stuff!

The one thing that stands out as a common thread throughout all these excellent responses, is that I think most of us could post "+1" to just about all of them!

I too have always had a deep appreciation of well designed, well executed, and capable tools.

And it does feel instinctive, deep seated ... as though I am anxious for the opportunity to need my knife to survive ... undoubtedly innate.

Keep 'em coming!

~ Edge
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... In practice, there is."
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Agree with On Edge.

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Because sometimes things need to be cut. :D

I don't know the reason, but I've liked knives for as long as I can remember.
:bug-red-white