BEST first Spyderco for my son

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
patrickbateman

BEST first Spyderco for my son

Post by patrickbateman »

At what age firstly do you think my son should get his first knife? (I'm thinking at least in grade 6). How bout yours?

And of course, it will be a Spydie, so WHICH spydie is most suited for their first one?

Thanks, I'm sure this will get a lot of responses!
Cricket SS PE
Endura 4 Foliage Green CE
Lum Foliage Green PE
Paramilitary CAMO w/black PE
UKPK S30V Foliage Green
:D:D
DMgangl

Post by DMgangl »

Spyderench. My first knife was in a cheap $5 multi tool from walmart. It was cheap but it started it all. It would be a great first knife that will start 2 of men's greatest addictions Knives and Tools.

DM
Smile, it can always get worse
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

My son's first knife was a Delica 3 trainer. He could practice opening and closing the knife without me worrying about him getting cut. Now that he is 10 and has demonstrated good knife handling skills, he has a Byrd Robin, several cheap multi-tools, a small Cutco, and some other stuff I cleared out of my knife case to make room for more Spydies.

I vote for a trainer if the kiddo is really young.
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

Dragonfly C28PBK
Native C41PBK
Delica C11PBK
Ladybug 3 LBK3P

Any of these would be great in my opinion.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Ladybug
Delica 4
Dragonfly
Jester
Cricket

I have bought and engraved a Pink D4 for each one of my daughters and a Blue ZDP D4 for my son. My eldest daughter has used her Pink D4 under supervision and I will be introducing the others to their knives soon as well.

Personally I think the very small knives might not be as safe as a medium sized one due to the need for slightly more accurate and fine motor skills. Too large and the blade might be unweildy. So I settled on a medium sized ones for my kids. When they get older they can use my other dozens of blades - or bloody well get their own :p :D

I will most likely choose something a little bit more elegant for them when they leave school.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

Persistance
Delica
Dragonfly

and maybe a Leatherman Juice as a multitool
In omnia paratus
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think I was 10 or so with a very dull swiss army knife. Prob 4-6th grade is a good idea. Good to teach him not to bring it to school quick as well ;)

My pick would probably be a plane edge cricket. Cute and no a real distinct point. Good for utility stuff and doesn't have the strong self-close that a back lock has *snap + fingers*
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Rock Salt or Hobbit Warrior. :D

But I suppose a Delica or Dragonfly would also make fine first knives and fit his smaller hands as well.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
patrickbateman

Post by patrickbateman »

DMgangl wrote:Spyderench. My first knife was in a cheap $5 multi tool from walmart. It was cheap but it started it all. It would be a great first knife that will start 2 of men's greatest addictions Knives and Tools.

DM
Thanks, but I'm looking for a knife for sure...I remember my grandfather buying me and my brother a swiss army type knife when we were young and I thought it was the coolest thing...

It's just that now I love spydies, and a lot of the tools on the swiss are kind of useless (or not used often), I was leaning towards a folder...
Cricket SS PE
Lum Foliage Green PE
UKPK S30V Foliage Green
patrickbateman

Post by patrickbateman »

CombatGrappler wrote:My son's first knife was a Delica 3 trainer. He could practice opening and closing the knife without me worrying about him getting cut. Now that he is 10 and has demonstrated good knife handling skills, he has a Byrd Robin, several cheap multi-tools, a small Cutco, and some other stuff I cleared out of my knife case to make room for more Spydies.

I vote for a trainer if the kiddo is really young.

I can see my wife now saying what the **** did I get a 'fake' knife for, whats the point? I kinda agree...it would be good for a day or so, and then BORING to him and me!

But a spydie blade is scary too....he's not ready yet, but appreciate the reply.
Cricket SS PE
Lum Foliage Green PE
UKPK S30V Foliage Green
patrickbateman

Post by patrickbateman »

ozspyder wrote:Ladybug
Delica 4
Dragonfly
Jester
Cricket

I have bought and engraved a Pink D4 for each one of my daughters and a Blue ZDP D4 for my son. My eldest daughter has used her Pink D4 under supervision and I will be introducing the others to their knives soon as well.

Personally I think the very small knives might not be as safe as a medium sized one due to the need for slightly more accurate and fine motor skills. Too large and the blade might be unweildy. So I settled on a medium sized ones for my kids. When they get older they can use my other dozens of blades - or bloody well get their own :p :D

I will most likely choose something a little bit more elegant for them when they leave school.
I agree with you on little knives and fine motor skills...good point...my SS cricket in my guy's hands I cringe at right now....I think a medium sized one is the right way to go....

Love all of the suggestions though, I have many to look at on google images!
Cricket SS PE
Lum Foliage Green PE
UKPK S30V Foliage Green
patrickbateman

Post by patrickbateman »

Thanks guys, I will look at all the suggestions. I have time....he's still young.
Cricket SS PE
Lum Foliage Green PE
UKPK S30V Foliage Green
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Honestly, I wouldn't start him off with a Spydie. I know you may take that as blasphemy but in my opinion, Spyderco knives come far too sharp out of the box for a young kid.

I would start your son out with a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. The blades are very useful and sharp enough to perform. In addition, you son will gain an appreciation for the knife as a TOOL rather than a cool toy. The addition of other tools along with a knife will emphasize that association. Look into getting him a Vic Cadet. It's light, cheap, slim, nice-looking and very functional.
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

D1omedes wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't start him off with a Spydie. I know you may take that as blasphemy but in my opinion, Spyderco knives come far too sharp out of the box for a young kid.

I would start your son out with a Victorinox Swiss Army Knife. The blades are very useful and sharp enough to perform. In addition, you son will gain an appreciation for the knife as a TOOL rather than a cool toy. The addition of other tools along with a knife will emphasize that association. Look into getting him a Vic Cadet. It's light, cheap, slim, nice-looking and very functional.

+1 for the SAK
rlw1979777

Post by rlw1979777 »

My first spydie was a merlin when I was 12. A few cuts and a few stitches got me to respect it. Sometimes experience is the best teacher, but do like the idea of a trainer for your son.
I have a small collection.. At least in my mind its small. All respect to Sal and this great company! Collector Club Member #120
whkento

Post by whkento »

D1omedes wrote:Honestly, I wouldn't start him off with a Spydie. I know you may take that as blasphemy but in my opinion, Spyderco knives come far too sharp out of the box for a young kid.

Well, as much as I LOVE Spydies, I gotta agree with D1omedes and thebestnoobcake on that. I especially agree with the 'tool association' idea. With regard to age, of course his maturity level would dictate that, but I got my first knife at 9 years old. I acquired a nice Z-shaped scar on my thumb that same year... :rolleyes:
Noble

Post by Noble »

My son is rocking an SAK. Its great. I wanted to buy him a Laybug, but I found the added tweezers and scissors better suited to his curious mind. Ladybug is a great choice, along with the D'fly.
The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of meeting deadlines is forgotten.

My Dream Knife: Paramilitary with FFG H1. GITD G10.
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

My daughter is 12, and for this coming Christmas Im getting her a Swiss Army knive. That will start her off before I get her something more streamlined.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

My sons were both age 6 when they got their 1st knives. There have been no unfortunate accidents nor inappropriate use or threatening that I recall.

A Delica would be my suggestion.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
ColonelX1

Post by ColonelX1 »

i vote for a wouter combo, a ladybug with a SAK Classic attached
Pick a Card, Any Card

:My Spyders:spyder:
Orange G10 Wharnie Urban 064v
Blue/grey Waved Delica 4 (gifted to my close friend who is headed to Anapolis)
Black FRN Jester Ghetto Wave

ATS-55 SS harpy in full spyder edge!(loved, and then gifted to a Plebe at annapolis)
Carbon Fiber KIWI
Manix2CE 064v Ghetto Wave
SSSE Cricket
Delica4 full SE Ghetto Wave

May your food be rich, your knives be honed, your women be sweet, and your good friends stoned.