Finally got my dad to carry a Spyderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Finally got my dad to carry a Spyderco

Post by Fred Sanford »

About a month ago I gave my dad a Spyderco Delica 4 as a belated "Fathers Day" gift. I asked him to please carry it for a week and if he didn't like it then he could do what he wanted. He actually agreed and I was blown away. He had me set it up for left handed tip down carry as he is right handed but carries a tape measure in his right pocket daily as he is a master plumber.

My mom said he puts it by his keys every night and in the morning after coffee he puts it in his pocket. This made me happy. He's been carrying it and has used it to break down water heater boxes, cut open random packages with stop valves in them, and trim other stuff. He sharpens his pencil with it too. Right now it's fairly dull. I'm waiting for him to bring it over so I can put a nice edge on it again. Hopefully will be doing that in a day or two.

He said he didn't care that it was made in Japan and was pleased that it's a good quality knife. This is coming from a man that is 64 and will not own anything but a GM or Ford automobile and used to call everything "jap sh#t".

He's really changed and he has started giving things the benefit of the doubt before making judgment.

Previously I gave him a Victorinox Ranger (a little thick and heavy) and he put it in his RV to take to the racetrack with his car. He travels around the US drag racing his 1984 Corvette. It runs 9.45 @ 140 (no nitrous or supercharger or turbo) and he races in the IHRA.

I just thought I would share that as it made me kinda happy. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Spyderknife

Post by Spyderknife »

Thanks for sharing David. Now I know what I want to get for my dad as a gift. I'm also a plumber by trade so I know that your dad WILL be using that delica! Great story! :)
Never sell my :spyder: knives.
“Whether you think you can or think you can't you're right.” Henry Ford
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

I gave my dad a black salt 1 se for fathers day and it hasn't left his side yet. He usually carry's a few kershaw knives but ever since he got the spydie he has been using it relentlessly! He will even sit and open and close it while watching television or just sitting around. It's pretty cool!

btw your dads corvette sounds sick!!!! That is a very impressive time for a naturally aspirated car!
Vic
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

Cool David!

I've got my dad carrying a Native :D
He loves it.
drf

Post by drf »

I gave my dad a C39 micarta dyad for fathers day. He loves it and tells me he uses it everyday. Its a great feeling giving someone a quality knife that gets put to use.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

StangBang wrote:...btw your dads corvette sounds sick!!!! That is a very impressive time for a naturally aspirated car!
Thanks bro. Here's his site: http://www.boblowryracing.com/

I used to have a video of it and I'm trying to find it.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

My dad is way to stubborn to give a knife to and expect to carry it.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Next Father's Day or Birthday get him a Golden made Spyderco then he can enjoy a U.S. made Spyderco too.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
slice22358

Post by slice22358 »

I gave my dad a Chinook 3 on his birthday. Of course we have the same birthday, so I ended up with a new knife too. Too bad I can't remember which one it was...does that mean I have too many? :D
Feeding the addiction

Proud member of The Cult of the Curved Ones-C.O.T.C.O.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

David Lowry wrote:Thanks bro. Here's his site: http://www.boblowryracing.com/

I used to have a video of it and I'm trying to find it.
Wow! I bet he would like this quote for that picture "Real Cars don't power the front wheels, they lift them!" :D :D :D

Can't wait to see the video if you can find it! :cool:
Vic
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Just came back from a trip in which I gave my dad a ZDP Stretch 2 for his 60th birthday. I was really bummed by his response - a bunch of excuses for why he'll never use it. Within hours of my giving the Stretch to him, he grabbed his Stanley utility knife to open some packaging. He tried to trade it for one of my folders with the explanation that he'll never carry a folder in any case, so I should at least have the nicer one. :(

Thanks, though, for the post. It gives me hope. I also told my dad to carry it for a week and see what he thinks. Maybe that will bring him around.
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i got my dad carrying spydies, as well. his favorite is an FRN SE dragonfly, carried in his pocket (not clipped). he also has a PE salt I he uses outdoors, and a spydersaw... :D

my mom carries a pink D4. :D
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I tried to get my father to carry a spyderco,he won`t do it.He carry`s a buck 110 and has for many years. He told me he was strictly a buck man so i guess he stuck on buck. :eek:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

StangBang wrote:Wow! I bet he would like this quote for that picture "Real Cars don't power the front wheels, they lift them!" :D :D :D

Can't wait to see the video if you can find it! :cool:
Here's the vid. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e657ZVUq9FI
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

That corvette is bad to the bone.Thats awsome. :)
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

That vette is nasty!!! Naturally aspirated 327!?!?!?! Jeez that thing is built like mad to be doing a 9.45!
Thanks for sharing!!! :D
Vic
tomsch

Post by tomsch »

About 7 years ago I gave my dad a serrated police. He used and sharpened it so it was almost a plain edge! He sent it back to spyderco and they told him he got a lot of use out if it but was time to retire the knife. I picked him up a PE endura and he loves it. Really uses it for work as well as fishing and it is holding up great after 2 years.
StangBang

Post by StangBang »

Hey David,
Is your dad still faithfully carrying his new spydie?
Just interested in the update!
Vic
Sammax

Post by Sammax »

Nice story.
a.k.a. Donnie
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Gald your father likes it David :cool:
Too bad my dad passed away before I discovered Spyderco, otherwise I would have given him something better(read serrated :p ) than his ever present Herder Solingen Sodbuster ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p