Spyderco Fred Perrin Street Beat...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hannibal Lecter

Spyderco Fred Perrin Street Beat...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

Only yesterday I received a Street Beat in trade; I had been pining after one for some time. I am pleased to say that it met or exceeded my every expectation.

I had read from numerous sources that the fit and finish on this model rival custom knives, and can say with all honesty that such is the case. The micarta scales are three-dimensional and simply beautiful, molding to the hand as though glued there. The blade is robust without being unwieldy, and the 3.5" blade is the maximum legal length for concealed carry in my jurisdiction. Balance is perfect, immediately behind the finger choil. A quick touch-up with a fine ceramic rod and the blade is *screaming* sharp.

Most importantly, tucked into the waistband of my jeans it completely disappears. I have carried a lot of knives in my life, but I have never encountered one that is quite so comfortable and concealable clipped in the waistband.

The sheath is snug and silent with excellent retention, and its thinness adds significantly to the concealability of this fine blade.

Friends, if you are looking for a deep-concealment fixed blade at a fraction of the price of a comparable custom, BUY THIS KNIFE.

--------
Hannibal
Attachments
Spyderco Street Beat 2.jpg
Spyderco Street Beat 2.jpg (85.63 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
Spyderco Street Beat 1.jpg
Spyderco Street Beat 1.jpg (88.17 KiB) Viewed 4044 times
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Hannibal Lecter wrote:My Dear Friends,

Friends, if you are looking for a deep-concealment fixed blade at a fraction of the price of a comparable custom, BUY THIS KNIFE.

--------
Hannibal
So are you saying you like it ;)

Seriously, this has been on my want list for a long time. Now I just need the $ (although I'm sure it is an excellent value).
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

My Dear Friend,
dogrunner wrote:So are you saying you like it ;)
More or less. :D

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

This has been one of my most wanted knives for a long time. I should buy it and every time I go to get one I get distracted by other Spyderco offerings. It is my aim to get one sometime in 2009 along with the Rock Salt. Both of which will end up being used for cooking and general purpose in the garden :)

Thanks for the nice words Mr Lecter :) It has jogged my memory about this beautiful piece.
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
Seanski

Post by Seanski »

oh how I love the look of that knife. I would someday like to own it. Thanks for your thoughts on it. I am just having a bit of trouble shelling out $200 for a knife. The most I've spent to date is my Military which was $179. I just thought that, that price would be my cap off. :rolleyes:
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

Hannibal Lecter wrote: Friends, if you are looking for a deep-concealment fixed blade at a fraction of the price of a comparable custom, BUY THIS KNIFE.

--------
Hannibal
I already have! :D Ain't it great? However, I'm afraid you'll find that the sheath loses retention after +/- 1 year of use. Mine has, anyway. Regardless of the sheath, the Street Beat truly is a magnificent knife. :cool:
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!
bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Don't sweat the sheath problems, Mike Sastre of River City Sheaths can set you up with a concealex version that is bulletproof.

Glad you like it Kurt. Now I really need to find one for myself.
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: I often use mine to quarter chickens and it's very stable and secure in the hand even when covered with fat and chicken goo. A very viable option for self-protection. :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
Murdoc

Post by Murdoc »

I love this knife! I was looking for one for a long time, and the newest ideas of our politicians how to annoy knifeknuts in Germany once more made me pull the trigger, since this knife is legal to carry while a Dragonfly or Ladybug is not. Stupid but true.

I do like the micarta texture and the deep finger choil and of course the blade shape. It is kind of uncomfortable to carry for me though when using the sheath it came with; the Teklok makes it pretty bulky, and I always get caught by seat belts, jackets, doors, you name it. While the sheath/Teklok combo otherwise just works fine, I will try to get a leather sheath that will make it more EDC'able... and maybe that sheath will take my new Mule, too, so I can put them both in a new fixed blade legal EDC rotation :)

Some pics:

Dennis
whkento

Post by whkento »

I really like the looks of that knife. Unfortunately, it would be illegal for me to carry it here. They'd lock me up and deport me if they found that on me. Maybe after I move back to the states I can get one. In the meantime, I'll have to stick with my smaller spydies. ;)
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Don't the latest sheaths have the G-clips?

My Moran has the G-clip and I really like it. It seems less bulky than the Tec-Loc, and can be attached without a belt.

Thanks for the post Hannibal. I've had my eye on this knife for quite a while.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well-armed sheep contesting the vote.

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Hmmmm should I say....I told you so!.....LOL....Doc ;) :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Hannibal Lecter

Lol!

My Dear Sifu,
Dr. Snubnose wrote:Hmmmm should I say....I told you so!.....LOL....Doc ;) :D
Yes, my dear friend, you certainly did, and for that you have my gratitude! :D

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Informative post Hannibal...a knife I had not looked into before, but may warrant a second look. :)

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

Been wanting one for awhile. How aggressive is the texturing on the micarta? How does it compare to g10 spydies you've handled?
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
Tank

Post by Tank »

Glad you like it Dr Lector, I agree with everything you said about it. I got mine the last part of last year and I very much love it. I did splurge and get a River City Sheath for it which is much nicer than the stock sheath in my opinion. Its very slim and hold very snug with less of the knive in it.
-John
MrCharlie

Post by MrCharlie »

Hey Tank,

What did the above sheath run you, if you don't mind my asking? Also, does river city need your knife or have they made enough now to have a pattern or something of the like?
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

Tank wrote:Glad you like it Dr Lector, I agree with everything you said about it. I got mine the last part of last year and I very much love it. I did splurge and get a River City Sheath for it which is much nicer than the stock sheath in my opinion. Its very slim and hold very snug with less of the knive in it.
Wow, is that carbon fiber? pretty slick :cool: I want to add a red lanyard to the end of mine and stuck between a monkeyfist and chinese button knot to help a grip outside the choil. I swapped the tek-lok for a G-Clip and its alot easier to carry. gotta get my review written up soon.. :D
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

Street Beat is a GREAT little knife............beautiful even! ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
g3

River City Sheaths

Post by g3 »

River City Sheaths makes very good sheaths and I too wanted a better one than the factory sheath. I paid $72.45 (including shipping) for a River City Sheaths Black Street Beat sheath with a Spyderco G-Clip. I believe the carbon fiber one is more expensive. For the Street Beat and other common knives it is not necessary to send in the knife.

I would like to say that I am pleased with the sheath but despite having paid for it on March 26th, I am still waiting for it and starting to believe that I will never see it. :(

Although I haven't gotten any responses to my recent emails I have talked to Mike on several occasions on the phone during which I was always told that the sheath would soon be headed my way.

During the last such phone call Mike indicated that he has had a difficult summer because of some serious medical issues. Because of this I haven't pushed the issue as much as I normally would and am still hoping probably naively that someday hopefully soon that I will get my sheath. ;)

I don't know if I am a part of group of River City Sheath Customers that have had the same problem or just the one customer that fell through the cracks.

However, in retrospect I would have ordered from someone else and would recommend the same unless you are an extremely patient soul.

Glenn