spyderco nail clipper?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
clovisc

spyderco nail clipper?

Post by clovisc »

ever since steelhead (gigantic, anadromous rainbow trout) started showing up, and the heavier fly rods have come out, one of my most used cutting tools has been... a nail clipper. yep -- a simple nail clipper, on a retractor, on the front of my vest and steelheadin' raincoat. i've considered an H1 ladybug as a replacement, but the nail clipper a faster, more effective, safer cutting tool.

however, i wish it was more glamorous. i've wondered on more than one occassion how much cooler it would be, were it "spyderized." nicer fit and finish, better materials, attractive design, etc.

these sorts of thoughts go along with thoughts i've had of what a spyderco fly fishing knife / tool might be like. perhaps a little nail clipper-like tool, some sort of small plier or hook disgouger, a pointy little blade for tasks like cutting the plastic wrap off of spools of leader material (or cleaning small fish). i've spent over a year daydreaming about this possibility, however peculiar and specialized it might seem. there are just so many tools fly fishermen require -- even minimalists such as myself. it would be more convenient to have some of them united into a single tool... and dignified by high tech, high performance materials.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
DeltaWhiskey

seems plausible

Post by DeltaWhiskey »

Well what you are describing seems like an all-around-handy gadget.

Nail Clipper
Pliers
small pointy blade

As long as it was not solely marketed as a "fly fishing tool" I think the idea has merit.

I for one always keep fingernail clippers in my toiletries bag and would happily replace it with a spyderco version :rolleyes:

I would get one for my wife as well and probably throw one in the glove boxes...

I guess it would have to do it better than the ton of other small tools out there like the leatherman micros and whatnot...but a fingernail clipper version does not readily come to mind. :p
"Please forgive me dear...I bought another knife"
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

I'd happily pay for a decent nail clipper. The bulk of the stuff available is cheap and shoddy, the rest is often more expensive and still shoddy! :mad: ;) :D
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

won't happen in my opinion...there has been talk before about spyderco kitchen shears and scissors and it is always said that it would be a money losing situation for spyderco. a few of you might buy some $50 spyderco nail clippers but there just isn't enough demand for them to make any money on it let alone break even.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

I'm not smart enough about steels to know if you could do this...but how about a set of nippers in black coated H1 with a Spyder emblem lasered on it?

Would H1 be "springy" enough to serve as traditional fly-line nippers?
oregon

Post by oregon »

Good idea. H1 nail clippers that last forever.

Sidebar: While at it please make an H1 salt shaker top, no rust, that lasts forever.

oregon
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

i realize this idea might seem totally nuts... and i've spent more than a year now given serious consideration how to make it less nuts.

it is funny, though, that a pair of nail clippers would end up handling a great percentage of my EDC cutting tasks!
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

this is probably the closest thing to a spyderco nail clipper

http://www.amazon.com/Seki-Edge-Toe-Nai ... B000F37UNM

i was looking to see if it was actually made in Seki, Japan but i didnt see it. there is also a ton of reviews by people with big nasty toenails :D :D :D read at your own discretion..lol

i understand you wanting a spydie brand one though...i wish i could get some of their experimental kitchen knives but i haven't seen one for sale nor one even in pictures besides the company's own and i wish they would make some high end kitchen knives, maybe with damascus sandwiching zdp steel, bolsters, full tang and some exotic wooden handles but as Deacon says if you want something that specialized you have to pay the "my-way-tax" (i hope i am quoting you correctly Paul)

edit: whatever happened with that skateboard park..did it get made?
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
AH2525

Post by AH2525 »

Clovisc, You don't sound crazy at all. My father in law never carried a pocketknife (until a gift for his last birthday), but always has a small pair of clippers in his pocket that gets him through most days.
rorschach

Post by rorschach »

I have a pair of those SEKI clippers from Amazon, they are really nice. They are marked JAPAN on the back.
And my favorite nail clippers are the AG Russell clippers. http://is.gd/OqIo

BUT I would buy a Spyderco set in a New York minute.

:][:
-Rorschach :][: RHOS
marcru

Post by marcru »

I have the fingernail and toenail Seki Edge clippers as well as AG Russell's. I like the Seki Edge better. They fit my hand better and cut better.

ah, but there's no bug on them
gtrtech

Post by gtrtech »

I've carried finger nail clippers on my key ring for 20 years, a Spyderco pair would be great until then Gerber Utility clippers will have to do.
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

If it's a clipper that's purely for fishing then this offering from Rapala might be just the ticket. ;)
jag-engr

Post by jag-engr »

rorschach wrote: And my favorite nail clippers are the AG Russell clippers. http://is.gd/OqIo
I'll second this. I have a set and I don't like to use anything else. Now if I could just remember where I put them...
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

If the knife laws change ... This might be the only thing Spyderco could sell :eek:

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

rorschach wrote:I have a pair of those SEKI clippers from Amazon, they are really nice. They are marked JAPAN on the back.
And my favorite nail clippers are the AG Russell clippers. http://is.gd/OqIo

BUT I would buy a Spyderco set in a New York minute.

:][:
yea -- i always thought those AG Russell clippers were pretty cool.

maybe with increasing talk of knife bans, it's worth thinking more about other types of pocket cutting tools?
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

tonydahose wrote: edit: whatever happened with that skateboard park..did it get made?
a couple weeks ago, i received word that the park is being fully funded by a team of 4 local corporate donors. they've started construction... saw some pictures... :D