This could be VERY bad news....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ousanas

This could be VERY bad news....

Post by ousanas »

http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... Itemid=150

UGH!!! I had hoped it wouldn't happen quite this soon. As soon as Kniferights gets a form letter up I'll be emailing it to everyone relevent to me.
tap

Post by tap »

As long as the part about opening "by operation of inertia" is in the law, then almost any folding knife could be deemed a switch blade. There are a few ways that the court battles could go. Some will argue that all knives should be legal. Some will push for blade length limits which are already fairly well established in many places. But then the cross reference to fixed blades comes in. It seems unlikely that the "inertia" angle will be removed from the "switch blade" definition, however that would simplify the problem for most parties. How to open a can of worms with a knife. How to open a can of worms WITHout a knife.
Don't leave earth without some teeth. I carry a knife to open a can of worms.

Post by 5.56 »

I am interested in hearing Sal's interpretation of what this means for knifemakers.

I read the entire 67 page report and I concluded that only assisted opening models which open with "human manipulation" and "inertia" are being targeted.

Inertia by their definition involved some sort of spring or other mechanism that assists in opening the blade.

Either way it is very disturbing news and if they do go after all one handed openers, Spyderco will be forced to change it's entire business model.
-Rob

Knuckle dragger
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'm glad Spyderco hasn't focused their business around snazzy assisted openers or tacti-cool. I'm also glad that Spyderco has designed all of their blades around ergonomics and function over form.

I would feel comfortable explaining to any cop that my delica wave is a great bottle opener and has a fine point that the other delicas don't have, or explaining that the captain is a great cardboard cutter. They can pull my criminal record and see that it's pretty boring (I haven't killed many ninjas lately).

If a cop is able to show me a fancy wrist flick way to open my knife I will be amazed :rolleyes: . Someone who has practiced enough can do this to any blade baring a swiss army knife. I just like quality knives built for a purpose. I'm an educated collector, not a gang member. :p

PS: Plus, with the trend towards Spyderco's sprint runs and overall collectivity if I had to use my "deadly knife" that still meets the "household function" goal of the law, I can explain I brought it to work to show a coworker.
ControlsGuy

Post by ControlsGuy »

"outlaw assisted opening knives its broad definition could also easily be interpreted to include one-handed opening knives and even most other pocket knives."

This is a quiz, Will a Democratic Administration take the narrow interpretation or a broad one?

Maybe Sal can convert to making the blunt point school sissors. :(
Unsub

Post by Unsub »

Don't think Spyderco is safe from this nonsense. We have an inertia law(centrifigal force) on the books here in Canada and it means lots of normal folders get stolen by customs and innocent people getting serious weapons charges. The only one hand openers that are not
at risk ironically are assiteds because of the spring pressure they cannot be opened without some thumb movement. The switchblade law clearly was not written to include 1 hand openers yet the "lawyers" have decided to "interpret" it so as to steal our rights.
critter

Post by critter »

ousanas wrote:http://www.kniferights.org/index.php?op ... Itemid=150

UGH!!! I had hoped it wouldn't happen quite this soon. As soon as Kniferights gets a form letter up I'll be emailing it to everyone relevent to me.
Sal invited me to post this information here, but looks like you have beat me to it. Thank you. We met with AKTI and many industry leaders at Blade Show and a lot is going on behind the scenes. We will have a lot of information coming in the next week or so as we develop strategy and such.

If this doesn't serve as a wake-up call for knife owners everywhere, I can't imagine what would. From the perspective of industry and Knife Rights, we are putting forth a major effort. We cannot afford not to do so. Thanks for your interest and support.
Lord vader

Post by Lord vader »

I ran across this info in the blade forums http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... p?t=649251 Post#1
Sam Vimes

Post by Sam Vimes »

We have similar ambiguous laws in the UK that are being interpreted by different agencies, or even different branches of the same agency, in different ways. Any locking knife that can be Spyderdropped is liable to be seized by those applying the law in its most stringent interpretation. :( Exactly why I won't take the chance on personal imports of anything other than slippits any more.
sixheads

Post by sixheads »

This might sound silly but i am being honest, How long untill this is in effect ? Should I being a Canuk by Back ups of my fav knives will i still can?

I sold my switch blade collection once i relized the severity of getting caught with them , and i am glad i did beacuse it brought me to love spydies, but i always have a knife on me and have never once hurt anyone (but myself).

Sixheads
Shenmue728

Post by Shenmue728 »

scary stuff man. I'm checking the forum even more frequently for more info on this.
[CENTER]:spyder::spyder:Spyderco C.O.T.C.O.:spyder::spyder:[/CENTER]
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I will still carry. They can put me in jail.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

David Lowry wrote:I will still carry. They can put me in jail.
Amen to that brother
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

In case I didn't make it clear enough..... :D

And I will get out of jail and carry again. They can jail me again, and I will still carry. They can put me in jail again.....and I will carry again.........and again......and again.

If they become huge jerks about it I will do nothing..........keep carrying.

Go ahead........test my resolve.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I think it is important for everyone on this forum to be informed and be active in this matter.

This could lead to the end of spyderco as we know it today.

I also think the title of this thread should be changed to attract more attention from forum members

Once the laws or codes are on the books they are much harder to fight.
MCM

Post by MCM »

:eek: :D
Future fugitive..........

:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

If they ban these:

...I still have these:

And if they are really serious about one-hand openers:

:p
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

It doesn't help that companies like BM and Kershaw and Cold steel name their knives like they ARE weapons.

Skirmish
Rukus
Tyrade
Ambush
AK-47
Stryker
etc....

I'm so glad that Spyderco didn't jump onto the "fad" bandwagon of AO knives and "harsh fight names" for their knives.

Hey, worst comes to worst........I'll carry like 6 UK Pen Knives on me. :D
SecSpyral

Post by SecSpyral »

This is why spyderco is brilliant and started the slip-it line a while back
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

SecSpyral wrote:This is why spyderco is brilliant and started the slip-it line a while back
Are you suggesting we may all end up carrying those? :eek: