How is Ka Bar quality?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kraziekurtis

How is Ka Bar quality?

Post by kraziekurtis »

I know it's a brand a lot of people go to but how does it rank up for factory sharpness and overall quality? I want a fixed blade but can't afford to stick to Spyderco for one so I was thinking about getting the basic Ka Bar USMC model.

Should I know anything before I do it?
:spyder:
DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

kraziekurtis wrote:I know it's a brand a lot of people go to but how does it rank up for factory sharpness and overall quality? I want a fixed blade but can't afford to stick to Spyderco for one so I was thinking about getting the basic Ka Bar USMC model.

Should I know anything before I do it?
Aloha kraziekurtis,

IMHO, you cannot go wrong with a Ka-Bar. I mean, look at it...it has been around since it's intro...no, maybe it had a brief lapse in production at one time, (or am I thinking Marbles Knives? :o ) but I know a TON of folks who still carry/use, swear their lives on it, etc...

I had a black Ka-Bar, and would still have it, but that went in a trade for a Taurus clone of the S&W 686. I liked it a lot, 1095 steel is a breeze to keep sharp. Only thing I had to get used to was the handle. When my hands got sweaty, it would sometimes roll. However, I had the synthetic handle...I hear the stacked leather handle is much better.

Price point is good for this one, and you can cut off the top of the guard to make it a bit more versatile...I miss mine...it was a great yard knife!!! ;)

God bless and take care! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
GoMeR

Post by GoMeR »

Quality is about what you expect from a knife in this price point, its fine but its nothing really special. I have the 1095 USMC with leather stacked handle, great knife! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, tough knife and arguably the best knife for the money. 1095 is one of my favorite blade steels, its tough, takes a very sharp edge and retains it fairly well, also easy to sharpen. Kabar has been around an extremely long time and the marine is a lot of peoples go to fixed blade.
raven

Post by raven »

I have the Ka-Bar USMC and 2 Ka-Bar Tanto Short Blade models. Like DAYWALKER STATED; "You can't go wrong". Out of the Box Super Sharp and INCREDIBLY DURABLE ;) . You won't be disappointed. Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.