The delica is a tuff knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bambam

The delica is a tuff knife

Post by bambam »

I thought I would let you guys know I was cleaning out my garage and found an old door.I had a d4fg in my tool box I did'nt use because I don't care for combo edges, so I thought what the heck and started to throw it at the old door.Well 20 or 30 times later no problem the knife worked great so I thought I would try a diffrent one.I have a bunch of knives so I picked up one with the axis lock,after 22 times one of the springs broke so the knife could not be closed.I tried a liner and it got stuck and I had to use a screw driver to get the lock bar to move.I know this is not the way to treat a knife but I just wanted to see what would happen.After 100 times the d4 lock did'nt let go,the knife works great.Thank you Spyderco.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

Kind of an expensive way to gauge the toughness of a knife.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
THG

Post by THG »

lol

That's why I like lockbacks best. Axis has that spring, and I've heard of more axis spring failures than I've ever heard of lockback failures. So while the axis lock bar might not be breakable by itself, that spring is its achilles' heel.
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

pretty cool way to see whats stands up to the test, glad the Delica stood up being thats my favorite Spyderco
pedropcola

Post by pedropcola »

That is unusual in that one of the springs breaking shouldn't cause the lock to not let the knife close. One spring breaking it should still lock also. I know this because during cleanup from Hurricane Ivan a few years back one of my knives broke a spring. I was abusing my user and lots of people had used it and one side broke, I didn't notice at first and when I did I kept using it to gauge the impact (not like I didn't have other knives!). It worked fine and eventually when things settled out I sent it in for warranty repair. That said I have never broken a lockback, spydie or otherwise. All locks have their shortcomings thats why God made fixed blades!

Pete
bambam

Post by bambam »

You are right Flyby,but repaired them good as new.THG I have had many axis lock knives,I never had a problem.If you abuse anything for long it well break.I kinda had a problem with the name delica years ago,but now I think it's some what neat.A knife with a name so unasuming but has the ability to handle so much work.
DRod

Post by DRod »

Thats good I guess. But Ill leave the door thumping to you. I'm quite content with the occasional slipping in and out of my pocket.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
bambam

Post by bambam »

Pedropcol you're right it is not the norm when I took the 940 apart one side of the spring would'nt let the lock bar move back.I think it was a fluk.When I get a chance I'll try it again.
THG

Post by THG »

bambam wrote:You are right Flyby,but repaired them good as new.THG I have had many axis lock knives,I never had a problem.If you abuse anything for long it well break.I kinda had a problem with the name delica years ago,but now I think it's some what neat.A knife with a name so unasuming but has the ability to handle so much work.
I understand that you might not have had a problem, but as far as I've heard: I've heard of axis locks failing due to springs, but I've never heard of lockback failures. I've heard about people hearing about lint sometimes, but never from anyone directly.
Phalanx7.62

Post by Phalanx7.62 »

Thank you for writing the manual on how not to treat folding knives.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Step it up and go fixed!
Clear winner! :p
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

MCM wrote:Step it up and go fixed!
Clear winner! :p
100% true
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

I wouldn't mind if I was using the **** out of the knife and it failed after a given time period, but abusing the knive/tool for the simple fact to see if would stand up and for how long, no thanks. :(
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes: