Texas district will let teachers carry guns...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JBE

Post by JBE »

Anyone else read this yet? I just came across it this morning. Thoughts, opinions?
Jason
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

This could potentially save many young lives. Thank god.
MOLON LABE
DRod

Post by DRod »

Hey. I live in Texas. I guess its good they can now return fire. lolz.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey.
Give us clear vision, that we may know where to stand and what to stand for - because unless we stand for something, we shall fall for anything.
~ Peter Marshall, US Senate Chaplain 1947
Majidoc

Post by Majidoc »

Just the way it should be.
Life is a process not an event!
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Hopefully, if Texas is allowing this, the trend will spread out here to the wild west as well.

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Super big "w00t". Hopefully things are turning around now that they see that banning guns everywhere did absolutely NO GOOD, since criminals don't obey the rules.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
TheKnifeCollector

Post by TheKnifeCollector »

Yes, I read about this on another forum!! I am happy to hear that!!
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

As a teacher (and native Texan) who just finished a two-year stint at a violent, low-income urban high school, I'm honestly sort of ambivalent about the decision.

On one hand, people should be able to defend themselves. And teachers inevitably end up in the middle of any crises that come up at school, be it a fight, fire, attack by someone inside or outside of the community, or anything else. (A colleague of mine got a concussion breaking up a fight in my first year.)

But regardless of how armed or dangerous they are, kids are kids, and the vast majority of kids (who don't bring weapons to school, though they may not be exactly invested in the academics) respond very negatively to an escalation in weaponry. At my school, there were on-duty police officers and security guards at all times, some of them incompentent ones who were verbally and physically abusive to the kids. Of course, the real danger to kids was from each other - I'd say my school averages one student a year who dies by homicide - and that was part of the milieu. All in all, the place was not a good learning environment by any means.

I learned at that school how detrimental fear and the threat of violence can be to a person's emotional and physical well-being and that this affects kids much more than it affects adults. In particular, it makes it near impossible to learn complex thinking skills, the only skills that really earn a living these days.

I see the teacher as one who needs to socialize kids - show them how to resolve conflict without violence, express one's emotions constructively, etc. Especially in dysfunctional high-poverty communities, a teacher may be one of the few adults in a child's life who models these important things. And personally, carrying a gun and making that known would make me feared, and I want my students to fear me as little as possible. I want them to respect me so that they can learn from me.

If I worked in that district, I probably wouldn't carry a gun, or if I did, I'd keep it an absolute secret from the kids. I definitely would carry a knife, but that's different...a knife's a tool! :)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Well FlyCrash, I'm certainly not an expert in any law, much less texas laws but I really don't think it's mandatory for teachers to carry guns with the new bill. It would, and should certainly be your right not to go armed.

Carrying concealed typically means carrying a gun so it's hidden, so no one should be able to tell you're carrying that gun. If the people can see it, it's not really concealed, is it? If the kids don't know it's there, they aren't going to be scared of it, if they in fact would be anyway. As common sense would dictate they won't even disclose if asked which of the employees has been allowed to carry after meeting the fairly rigid requirements they put in place.

I don't get the impression scaring children is the purpose of the law. I don't think breaking up fights between kids is the reason teachers would arm themselves under this law.

Having the ability to protect those children is more in line with the intentions of the legislature, as we have seen that having everyone unarmed in schools or any where else makes it all too easy for the evil scum that masquerade as people to walk in, chain the doors, and begin slaughtering people with relative ease.

That would be my take on it. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
FLYcrash

Post by FLYcrash »

Hey Joe! Good to see you. I hope your health issues are improving.
The Mastiff wrote:Carrying concealed typically means carrying a gun so it's hidden, so no one should be able to tell you're carrying that gun. If the people can see it, it's not really concealed, is it? If the kids don't know it's there, they aren't going to be scared of it, if they in fact would be anyway. As common sense would dictate they won't even disclose if asked which of the employees has been allowed to carry after meeting the fairly rigid requirements they put in place.
Small town districts are probably better, but my experience with big urban ones is that they almost gleefully pull the rug out from under teachers. "Common sense" is not in their vocabulary. I am an honors graduate from a top university, and I entered teaching via an alternative route in which I got my full certification during my first year on the job. In my first year, I went to class one day, and a student said with a mischievous smirk, "I got a letter from the district saying you are not qualified to teach us [cf. No Child Left Behind]. What does that mean?" In almost every case, I learned of events that adversely affected my situation from my students, since the administration was too nasty to stand behind the moral ramifications of its actions and was too chicken to inform me of them face-to-face.
The Mastiff wrote:I don't get the impression scaring children is the purpose of the law. I don't think breaking up fights between kids is the reason teachers would arm themselves under this law.
I guess my issue with this is that kids are canny and it's near impossible to keep secrets from them. I've always been surprised by how much they know about teachers' private lives. If I carried a concealed firearm, I'm sure the whole school would know about it - and remember it - within a week of the first wardrobe malfunction. I always wished they would muster that level of perceptiveness and retention for the academics...they'd be brilliant.
The Mastiff wrote:Having the ability to protect those children is more in line with the intentions of the legislature, as we have seen that having everyone unarmed in schools or any where else makes it all too easy for the evil scum that masquerade as people to walk in, chain the doors, and begin slaughtering people with relative ease.
I definitely agree with this. The place in which my 2nd amendment emotions lie most deeply are on the open streets, and in my view the biggest benefit of a ruling like this is that teachers would be able to carry concealed throughout their commute and workday. Here in Chicago, where mere ownership of a handgun is illegal, I'd predict that crimes like armed robbery as well as problems like police brutality would diminish if the honest law-abiding citizen could carry a gun.

Take it easy.
LowSpeedHighDrag

Post by LowSpeedHighDrag »

I wouldnt worry as much about what kids think about my CCW during peaceful times than what they think about my CCW during a school shooting. This has stopped a school shooting in Texas before.
MOLON LABE
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

I think that this is a great start. I only wish that more states would allow college students who are of age, and have the proper license to carry on campus. Being the campus leader of the SCCC for the University of Washington, I wouuld feel a bit better if I knew that my Proff could carry. I just wish I was granted this right........Either way, I'm glad that some states are allowing people the right to protect themselves....because as some people know, the police is not legally required to protect an individual, but rather only required to protect society. (Has been upheld in the federal supreme court)

Here is a bit of info about the Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.
http://concealedcampus.org/

Here is news coverage of the SCCC empty holster protest at the UW.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPdiPyXkSZ0

Another news article that made it into the paper.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/360420_guns24.html
________
Anime bondage
________
Live sex webshows
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

David Lowry wrote:Super big "w00t". Hopefully things are turning around now that they see that banning guns everywhere did absolutely NO GOOD, since criminals don't obey the rules.

Because we know that at all the major past shootings have been "Gun free zones." I'm sure criminals see the signs and say "Oh, looks like I can't be here then. Lets turn around and go somewhere else....."
________
Glass bubblers
________
Cheap glass pipes
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

krazichinaman wrote:Being the campus leader of the SCCC for the University of Washington, I wouuld feel a bit better if I knew that my Proff could carry. I just wish I was granted this right........
That is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Agent Starling :D
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

Agent Starling wrote:That is awesome! Keep up the good work!

Agent Starling :D

Thanks,
I get lots of flack for it when people hear I'm the campus leader. It's all for a good cause though, so I don't really mind. :p You should have saw the responses when I wore body armor the week we had the empty holster protest....it was priceless! :p (BTW I almost got arrested for wearing body armor...the cop didn't know the laws =/..but thats another story LOL)

Best part about wearing the armor, was hearing people say "Holy Sh*t is he wearing body armor?", as I walk past them. Once I got their attention, I informed them about the protest and what not. It was great :D

Here are some pics from the week.

I have the news article framed at my apt and my house =P.
________
NO2 VAPORIZERS
________
AVANDIA SETTLEMENTS
krazichinaman

Post by krazichinaman »

To add to the body armor, because of me, and my complaints and what not, they had to print out a bulletin to train the entire PD department on what was LEGAL to carry and use. :D

Nothing like talking to a few law friends/gun instructors and seeing if could bring a suit to the PD for violating my freedome of speech and color of code laws.( I think this was the correct term) :p
________
________
condos in Jomtien