Your opinion, please.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
silverback

Your opinion, please.

Post by silverback »

Dear US-forumites,

I have no intention to start a heated political discussion, much less a flamewar, and ask everyone who replies to behave in the usual excellent manner of this forum.
I found this first in german FAZ online news and, since this is my only peer group of US-Americans, I am curious about your opinion of the following.

Senator McCain made this statement, through his spokesperson, about Obama's visit to Berlin:

[...] "You know, it really speaks to the experience that Barack Obama lacks," Bounds told Fox News.
"He prioritizes throngs of fawning Germans over meeting with wounded combat troops in Germany," Bounds said. [...]

Read the whole news item at afp.google.com:
http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ghL ... llWSBEdgsA
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

What very few people are saying is that the Pentagon was not keen on the idea because it was seen as a campaign stop, they strongly discouraged his making a stop at that airbase. Of course you have to ask yourself "who controls the Pentagon?"... exactly.

I am tired of having a xenophobic president, this is just more anti Obama spin.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

I think it speaks for itself.

As for not making the stop due to the pentagon, the story I heard was that he was allowed to go, but the pentagon wouldn't let him take cameras onto the base with him. He was allowed to go as a private citizen and pay his respects to the troops, but instead he opted out and blamed it on the pentagon.

Of course, hearing the story from Rush Limbaugh probably is a little more one sided :o
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Wouldn't have voted for Osama before, won't vote for him now.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Slick

Heads up

Post by Slick »

This thread will probably be closed. Anything political is dicey here. Posting a link might be ok.
Not really all that slick ;)
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

silverback,

As much as I want to answer this I am pretty sure that Kristi asked in the past that we keep away from these threads. If she decides that it's ok to keep this thread I will post an answer. I'll even be happy to PM or email you if you like. Shoot me an email at lowryd )at( hotmail dot com.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
tortoise

Post by tortoise »

cobrajoe wrote:I think it speaks for itself.

As for not making the stop due to the pentagon, the story I heard was that he was allowed to go, but the pentagon wouldn't let him take cameras onto the base with him. He was allowed to go as a private citizen and pay his respects to the troops, but instead he opted out and blamed it on the pentagon.

Of course, hearing the story from Rush Limbaugh probably is a little more one sided :o
-Not one sided, and not just as a "private citizen." The man is a United States Senator. A "campaign stop" is what was prohibited. So they skipped it.

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2 ... -hospital/

I agree with Senator McCain.

There are Americans to whom it is deeply important to be "liked" by the rest of the world. I believe that Senator Obama is one and, to my ear, his European-trip speeches reflected this.

Personally, I would prefer that U.S. elected officials, especially those seeking the top job, did not go abroad and apologize for me.

Nations do not have friends, only interests. Most European governments seem to get this, and currently they see how it is in their interest for American leadership to try to get them to "like" us. Any potential U.S. leader who would compromise our own interests chasing international popularity would not be my choice.

By this I mean no disrespect to the citizens of any allied nation, but I simply do not ask my neighbors what I should do in my own home.
silverback

Post by silverback »

Thanks a lot folks, you've been very helpful!
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Hi Silverback I read your question as if you are wondering if McCain or Americans have something against Germany/Germans.

No we don't. As you know, Obama/McCain are campaiging against each other. So each will be quick to say things to make the other look bad.

Obama chose to not visit the American troops in a prescheduled visit in your country when it was found he could only have military newspeople with him. So it was an easy score for McCain to state Obama would rather talk to foreigners than our own troops. The fact that the people were German didn't matter.

Hope that clears it up. There is a very large portion of Americans who can trace their ancestry to the German peoples. :)
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

oh, man...wish I could say what I was thinking...but no politics allowed so I'll just keep my mouth shut! (hard to believe, I know...) :eek: :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

tortoise wrote:-Not one sided, and not just as a "private citizen." The man is a United States Senator. A "campaign stop" is what was prohibited. So they skipped it.

http://news.aol.com/political-machine/2 ... -hospital/

I agree with Senator McCain.

There are Americans to whom it is deeply important to be "liked" by the rest of the world. I believe that Senator Obama is one and, to my ear, his European-trip speeches reflected this.

Personally, I would prefer that U.S. elected officials, especially those seeking the top job, did not go abroad and apologize for me.

Nations do not have friends, only interests. Most European governments seem to get this, and currently they see how it is in their interest for American leadership to try to get them to "like" us. Any potential U.S. leader who would compromise our own interests chasing international popularity would not be my choice.

By this I mean no disrespect to the citizens of any allied nation, but I simply do not ask my neighbors what I should do in my own home.
My feeling exactly...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

The Deacon wrote:Wouldn't have voted for Osama before, won't vote for him now.

LOL me too, have you read on the net that people think hes the one of the antichrists the holy bible talks about, i find it interesting with biblical predictions, not saying its true or false, just interesting
WOTANSON1

Post by WOTANSON1 »

The Deacon wrote:Wouldn't have voted for Osama before, won't vote for him now.

I prefer to say Just Say No To B.O. in 08

Cheers,
Rob
International Order of the SpyderEdge-founding member

Faith, Folk and Family

If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
If this is written in English, thank a US Soldier

NOT my "president"

Proud Member of SOSAK