Vertical blade play and Delica questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nathan310

Vertical blade play and Delica questions

Post by nathan310 »

I keep hearing people say that spydies with a backlock develop vertical blade play :eek:

Is that true?

Has that happened to anyone here?

It's never happened to me I'm just wondering.

And my second question is to delica collectors:

I have a few different d4s and it feels like out of all of them my g10 d4 has the lowest tolerance and the strongest construction but it does a weigh more than the others.

If you had to choose between all the delicas out which would you say is the best and why?
ozspyder

Post by ozspyder »

Wow, so many questions..... let's see:

Blade play: None of my Delica's have any blade play in any direction whatsoever. Then again I don't use them very hard. I would say that if they are used hard and abused then blade play in the vertical direction might be from battoning? and sideways play from twisting or prying ?

Out of all my Delica 4's. They are all pretty much the same with the exception of the ZDP189 version which has obviously a different bladesteel.

If you are talking about the Delica 5 ;) (I am a naughty boy, but I still think the G10 PLUS the FFG on this baby makes it different enough :p ) then the construction is probably a bit tougher. It certainly is heavier. It probably looks a bit nicer. I think the exposed full liners give it a bit more fancy schmancy look. Grippy G10 lends an air of solidity. And the FFG on the blade seems to help in its cutting prowess.

On a subjective note: Some people don't like the look of FFG blades because it doesn't show any nice grind lines. Some prefer the FFG because of its utilitarian quality of perceivably better cutting ability.

I choose each one of my Delicas for different tasks. And thus cannot choose to say which is better or not without a qualifier :D
Cheers
Daniel (Certified Persian & Kopa nut)
Facebook profile: https://www.facebook.com/ozspyder
:spyder: I love my: Persians, Kopas, and Lums
:spyder: * Daniel's Spyderco Hoard *
:spyder: * Ozspyder's Kopa Kabana *
brj

Post by brj »

in my limited experience with backlocks I have discovered that all of them already have or will develop vertical bladeplay (meaning that if I grab near the tip of the knife and shake it on the vertical it will move). I guess this is the nature of the beast, that's why I generally prefer frame/liner/compression locks

on the other hand, the only Spyderco backlocks I own are 2 frn enduras/pacific salts, but this also applies to other brands (the SOG twitch comes to mind)
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

ALL of my 20+ lock backs have some up and down play :(

I still hate it :eek: but I'm slowly starting to learn to live with it :p

I recently got a NIB Delica1/SE in AUS8 and I like this one the best so far closely followed by my (almost) flawless black Delica 4/SE ;)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

caly3 is my first to notice after messing with it and not even carrying it it went from perfect to some blade play up and down, maybe it had it already but i never noticed it though.

delica question...

D4 FRN CE for me all the way

its light, smooth, the clip holds on your pocket just perfect.

I havent found a knife that can replace the qualities of the d4!!!
JBE

Post by JBE »

It has always been my understanding and experience that back locks inherently have a very slight amount of vertical play (especially those with FRN handles) due to their design. Many do not usually consider this an issue unless the amount of play is excessive. I would imagine the G10 Delica would have the least amount of noticeable play due to its design. I don't have one, but I do have a Police 3 on the way and I'm curious to see how tight the tolerances are on a back lock with G10 handles and full steel liners.
Jason
araneae

Post by araneae »

Several of my spydies have slight amounts of vertical movement. This should not however affect the security of their locks. My Gen 1 Delicas have less movement than my D4s.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
nathan310

Post by nathan310 »

Thanks for the 411 on the blade play and everything else.

I kind of like the g10 d4 because of what Datan said...

The ffg blade is awesome it's almost like it's a whole different knife compared to the other delicas.

I love it!
huugh

Post by huugh »

Usually, after the knife is exposed to heavier work then the vertical bladeplay appears (and it stays so :) ) even if the knife didn't exhibit it earlier. In my experience, the lockbacks without vertical bladeplay are not used yet :)
THG

Post by THG »

My Delica 4 (Waved) has ZERO side-side play. It has some flex, but when I move it side-side, I cannot detect any difference in space from the tang to each FRN scale (the space between).

Vertical, however... Would you consider this vertical blade play?

If I put my hand on the handle as if I were going to use the knife (with the thumb on the thumb ramp), and then put my pinky through the spyderhole with my other hand and tug, I can feel a small amount of difference under my thumb (which is also touching the backlock). If that's vertical play, then I believe I have some of that.

I think the reason is because the lock isn't flush with the tang and FRN. If I look very closely, I can see that the lock isn't all the way down; there is a small amount of lock sticking up in relationship to the FRN.

It doesn't seem to affect the usability of the knife, in any case. The D4 has been great to me for a little over a month now (the time I've had it). I love it more than any of my other knives (which aren't many, though).