Wave potential on Subcom

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Piercieve

Wave potential on Subcom

Post by Piercieve »

The subcoms can be waved open. I don't know if this is common knowledge or what, but I haven't heard anything about it. Try it sometime.
It works 95% of the time when I retrieve it from the bottom of my pocket and kind of "scrape" the thumb stud on the edge of my pockets... it's a little harder when it's clipped to the pocket for some reason. About 60% or the time.
"I ain't looking for confusion, but it tends to follow me."

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Heheh, this knife is so much fun to play with. I have callouses on my thumb, big 'uns.

E4 white, E4 waved SE, Caspian Salt, Crossbill, Mule, white Dragonfly, Boker CLB Desert Subcom, BM Blackwood mini Skirmish,
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Waved....Common Knowledge....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:Waved....Common Knowledge....Doc :D
Ah, well it just seems wierd that no one mentions it. I even read some review that listed 13 different ways to open it, but no wave description.

dete

Post by dete »

I can do mine o-k, not good at it,
had a student that could do it very well, his specialty was to wave it off of his shoelaces of all places :D
Piercieve

Post by Piercieve »

I've found I can do it every time out of my back pocket now.
Shoelaces though, thats cool. Did he keep it kind of under his laces? Because thats sneaky, sir.

Are all knives with thumbstuds potentially waveable?

dete

Post by dete »

Piercieve wrote:I've found I can do it every time out of my back pocket now.
Shoelaces though, thats cool. Did he keep it kind of under his laces? Because thats sneaky, sir.

Are all knives with thumbstuds potentially waveable?
I have some knives that have thumbstuds that seem pretty inefficient, near impossible but I'm sure there is someone on the planet that can!

hehehe, not that I know of,
when he got good at waving it out of his pocket, I challenged him to do it from other places, and a week later he was showing me his favorite :)
Zozo*HC*

Post by Zozo*HC* »

Subcom wave open = eat up jeans
Btw i know, i do it...and i have to buy a pair of new jeans :D
No sacrifice, No victory!
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Piercieve wrote:Ah, well it just seems wierd that no one mentions it. I even read some review that listed 13 different ways to open it, but no wave description.
Yea that review was written by me.... and I didn't list it because I couldn't wave it 100% of the time....However the Wharcom can be waved 100% of the time because of it's blade shape and positioning of the studs is slightly different from the Subcom...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I wish the larger Chadikin knives had the same thumbstuds as the Subcom family, specifically the M-Type, it could really benefit from the half-moon stud. Not so important on the Hyper but it wouldn't hurt there either.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

zenheretic wrote:I wish the larger Chadikin knives had the same thumbstuds as the Subcom family, specifically the M-Type, it could really benefit from the half-moon stud. Not so important on the Hyper but it wouldn't hurt there either.
I'll second that Motion!.....Doc :D

DAYWALKER

Post by DAYWALKER »

Piercieve wrote:Ah, well it just seems wierd that no one mentions it. I even read some review that listed 13 different ways to open it, but no wave description.

Aloha Piercieve,

Yeah, waving the SF's open...common knowledge years ago, and Dr. Snubnose here is credited with opening in ways no one else ever thought of...or dares attempt! ;)

Thanks for your support, and yes...waving these buggers does a number on jeans. :p

Play safe and God bless! :cool:
Proverbs 16:3...Commit YOUR works to the LORD, and YOUR plans WILL succeed!

"Where's the best little big knife not designed by Sal or Eric?" ~ thombrogan, WSM

Avatar by my KnifeBrother, DiAlex...C102 Adventura designer, 2005 Spyderco Forum Knife! ;)
Big footed nick

Post by Big footed nick »

Hey Doc, could we get a link to that review? :D
:spyder:
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Ay Big Nick Here ya go
http://www.clbdesign.info/
click on my designs then click on reviews......Doc :D