Smoky Mountain Knife Works

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
CajunMike

Smoky Mountain Knife Works

Post by CajunMike »

I'm taking the family up to the Smoky Mountains next week and I thinking about going by the Smoky Mountain Knife Works while we are there. I'll be staying about 20 minutes away from the store.
Is it worth going by there or should I just go to Dollywood instead? :D

If you've been, how big is it?

Cheers,
Mike
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams
CombatGrappler

Post by CombatGrappler »

I can't remember if it was on this forum or bladeforums.com, but someone posted some really sweet pics of SMKW. Also, my brothers went there on their last vacation and sent me some cell phone camera shots. If you are a knife man, I would definitely recommend skipping Dollywood in favor of SMKW.
dete

Post by dete »

sounds like fun, lucky you!
:)
fret

Post by fret »

Wow! Can you go to both? That's is a difficult decision to make. I like Dolly so I know I'd like Dollywood. But to miss seeing and perhaps buying all those knives...I'd lose sleep over that if I didn't get to see SMKW in person. Good luck and take lots of photos! :)
amen74

Post by amen74 »

20 minutes from SMKW!? You have to stop in. Be sure to take some pics and post them!
Aaron

Current EDCs: Golden models
:spyder: FG D2 Military:cool: Orange UKPK:spyder:

NEXT: Rock Lobster, Manix2, TiMil
CajunMike

Post by CajunMike »

Well....Both places it is then. :D

I'll be sure to take some pictures of SMKW.

Thanks for the input guys!

Cheers
Mike
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Douglas Adams
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Go to both.
Dollywood is nice.Set up to grab all your cash be not near as bad as Disney.Still alot of stuff to do and see inside that is free.May be still a bit cold for splash country.
Dixie Stampede is also worth the money.
You have to go to SMKWs,most of the store is fantasy type,Frost and ninga stuff but still have a good stock of the good knives.The wife will like it because the lower floor is all kitchen knives and accessories.The kids will like the set up of the store,full of african game and a stream.
I will try to find the pics and repost them.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
CajunMike

Post by CajunMike »

J Smith,
SMKW sounds like my kind of place! Some pictures from you would be fantastic.

I was afraid they were mostly geared toward the internet for sales. It sounds like a great place to visit.

Cheers,
Mike
Douglas Adams
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

Just checked,I deleted them to make room in photo bucket.
Sorry.
You may want to wait and be surprised.Be prepared for at least 4 hours to go through everything.
Now for a warning,be careful where you eat,most places up there are not good and expensive.
O'Charleys
Alamo,high but good
Bull-Fish
Texas road house
these are the ones I hit when we are up there.None of the fast food places except Chick fil A and Arbys is good.
The best place is about a 30 min drive through Wears Valley in Townsend to a place called Timbers if they are open yet,not much to look at but the food and service is as good as it can get.
The only OK buffet there is The Great American Buffet.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
CajunMike

Post by CajunMike »

Thanks for checking on the pics J Smith!! I guess you are right, I'll wait and be surprised. I'm more anxious than ever. 4 hours of knifes!! I'll be in my own version of heaven. :D

I'm looking forward to a relaxing week away from work and the phone.

Thanks for the eating tips as well. Relaxing is good for the soul but a man has to eat. ;)

Cheers,
Mike
Douglas Adams
Simple Man

Post by Simple Man »

Just two tips;
- Block out at least 4 hours for SMKW, or at least plan to come back before you leave the area.
- Hey J, is the Apple Barn still okay? It was real good last time we were there, wow, almost 8 years ago. It looks like there are about 10 of them around the area now, you should be able to find one. Technically the Applewood Farmhouse Rest./Grill per the website.
Romans 8:31 ....If God is for us, who can be against us? - <><

The Spyderco hole is a rotating mechanical assembly of one part.

".....tractors don't have to look like Ferraris" -Sal
CajunMike

Post by CajunMike »

Thanks for the tip Simple Man. I have a half day set aside to check out SMKW. I have no real knife stores where we live. I can't wait. We leave tomorrow morning.

I'll be sure to check out the Apple Farmhouse when we get there.

Cheers,
Mike
Douglas Adams
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

CajunMike wrote:Thanks for the tip Simple Man. I have a half day set aside to check out SMKW. I have no real knife stores where we live. I can't wait. We leave tomorrow morning.

I'll be sure to check out the Apple Farmhouse when we get there.

Cheers,
Mike
It was OK the only time I went there,I thought it was high for what we got but it is hard to tell from one visit.I am in that area a couple times a week now,I have seen a lot of new places opening up.
If you want to do the little shopping thing avoid Gatlingburg and go to Cherrokee.Gatlingburg has turned into a straight line of Middle Eastern owned T shirt shops with someone bugging you about buying a condo in between each one.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

About forgot,the Aquarium is for sure worth it.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
CajunMike

Post by CajunMike »

The wife and I are not too much on shopping (well, except for knives) but the aquarium is definitely on our short list of things to do while we are in Tennessee.

Cheers,
Mike
Douglas Adams
rolyat1978

Post by rolyat1978 »

Mike, SMKW is the "Bass Pro Shop" of knives...take that as you will, definitely stop in, as thier Spyderco assortment is impressive(and they don't carry benchmade anymore due to a "misunderstanding" between them and the distributor). I bought my Chinook II, from them(and barring any better deals off the net, will buy every knife from them by order, as I live in TX). The staff is friendly and accomadating, and you'll enjoy the visit...

-jt