How to pronounce P'kal??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PSU

How to pronounce P'kal??

Post by PSU »

I'm sure that I am not the only one who would like the answer to this question. Can somebody shed some light on how to pronounce P'kal?

I can think of many possibilities...My guess is that it is a combination of Pea & Cal (from California): Pea-Cal. It sounds similar to the way that I imagine a Texan would say pickle.
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

The more you learn about knives, the better Spyderco looks. - Sal
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

I've also seen it spelled "Pakal", which is how I've taken to pronouncing it, with a slight accent on the second a. Perhaps a resident martial arts expert will chime in.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
para-force

Post by para-force »

I think P'Kal is just a stylized shortening of "Pikal," which is just a grip style.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I say "peek all". :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
PSU

Post by PSU »

para-force wrote:I think P'Kal is just a stylized shortening of "Pikal," which is just a grip style.
That is what I figured but then what is the proper pronunciation of Pikal :)
People say, oh it's dangerous to keep weapons in the home, or the workplace. Well I say, it's better to be hurt by someone you know, accidentally, than by a stranger, on purpose. - Dwight The Office

It's okay for me to talk about my job, as long as I'm not specific. I am the Sergeant of a three-man Rapid Tactical Force at one of America's largest indoor retail shopping areas. - Gecko_45

zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Just say pickle. Any SE Asian knife expert takes exception to the pronunciation, shoot them with a six-shooter.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
para-force

Post by para-force »

PSU wrote:That is what I figured but then what is the proper pronunciation of Pikal :)
I've always said it like pike-ul
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke
PSU

Post by PSU »

zenheretic wrote:Just say pickle. Any SE Asian knife expert takes exception to the pronunciation, shoot them with a six-shooter.
Great suggestion! If that situation ever arises, I will keep it in mind :D :cool:

Stenny

Post by Stenny »

I title the knife "pickle", because it was long called so, before anybody knew it will be named P'kal. And because I saw the term "pickle grip" several times, why not?
I pronounce pakal like pah*-k-Al, because that's how it was taught to me in PTK :) .
*)but short - |pa|, not |paa|
...but no, no, you know it all, it's harmless little bunny...
KaliGman

Pakal

Post by KaliGman »

As Stenny said,

The P'Kal is short for Pakal. The pronunciation is Pa CAL (as in the sound in California) (accent on the second syllable.) It refers to a reverse or ice-pick grip and this grip is taught in many Kali/Escrima/Arnis systems, as well as non-Filipino knife systems. In most FMA systems the term refers to the reverse grip, whether the edge of the knife faces out toward the attacker or in toward the user. On this forum, the term is used primarily to describe the edge-in toward the user reverse grip. This is due to the fact that SouthNarc, designer of the knife in question, espouses this grip in his blade/impact weapon/empty hand combatives system (which is due, IMHO, because this grip is taught in Pekiti-Tirsia Kali as one of the primary grips used in knife work, it is my understanding that SouthNarc has a background in PTK, and SouthNarc's experiences in undercover work indicated to him that this was a good grip for close range combat).

As for Zen and his six-shooter--OK Zen, you can bring the six-shooter, but the bunny slippers have to stay at home---they are far too dangerous. I will not face them with anything less than the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. :D
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

at BLADE Ed Schempp and Kristi consistently referred to it exactly like it looks, "puh-kal," so that's how I pronounce it. I felt sort of dumb pronouncing it "Pea-cal" after that.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

KSDbass wrote:at BLADE Ed Schempp and Kristi consistently referred to it exactly like it looks, "puh-kal," so that's how I pronounce it. I felt sort of dumb pronouncing it "Pea-cal" after that.
I have had many conversations with Kristi regarding this particular knife and she does pronounce it the way that you indicate. I have never met SouthNarc, but have been told that he has a southern drawl (Mississippi accent) so can see why he may pronounce the knife this way. The pronunciation of the grip is as I indicated, at least based on the Filipinos who have discussed this grip with me. As for the pronunciation of the knife, Spyderco makes it, SouthNarc designed it--they can call it the Flaming Steel Edgemaster 2007 if they wish.

Also, please note that, in the FMA, term pronunciation and spelling vary quite a bit from style to style and artist to artist--thus the rank of Tuhon/Tuhan (same rank, both pronounced Too HAN), etc. It is very possible that, in SouthNarc's PTK and subsequent training, the grip was pronounced Pah Kal. I am not a Tagalog or Pilipino speaker and am relying on the pronunciation of Filipino instructors.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

My tagalog understanding and the way my FMA instructors and I have always pronounced it is 'Pa Cal' (Cal like California) for Pakal....I too have corrected some of the people in the spyder crew as to the proper way to pronounce it....but they are going to call it what they want anyway....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
psimonl

Post by psimonl »

KSDbass wrote:at BLADE Ed Schempp and Kristi consistently referred to it exactly like it looks, "puh-kal," so that's how I pronounce it. I felt sort of dumb pronouncing it "Pea-cal" after that.

As a fench speaking person, My version is quite close to yours:

Pee-call :p

Simon
"Everyday above the ground and vertical is a good day".
-Sir A. Hopkins in "The world's Fastest Indian"

"If it hurts, it means you're not dead..."
-Kayakist Marie-Pier Cote

The Spyderco Cookbook
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

I say Pickle.

Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Vincent wrote:I say Pickle.

Ohhhh!!! I love the green G-10 Stipple handle on that one Vincent, was that a Potterma mod. or did it come from the factory that way.....Pickle!!! I got to have one!!!...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

I'm pretty sure the song goes...

"tomato tomato
potato potato....lets call the whole thing off."

not

pickle pickle
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Jenner 515 wrote:I'm pretty sure the song goes...

"tomato tomato

not

pickle pickle
Good one Jenner...LOL....Doc :D

Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

Jenner 515 wrote:I'm pretty sure the song goes...

"tomato tomato

not

pickle pickle
I like to say pih-CALL, or pih-CAL, probably because I don't know any better :p :o ...I'm sure you MBC experts are correct, tho, about how you pronounce it...just for fun, so I can hear it for meself, I'll ask one of my Filipino classmates how to say it and I'll report back...there's a zillion different dialects in the Phillipines so this ought to be interesting... :D

Agent Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."
PSU

Post by PSU »

Thanks for the input guys! I'll just be consistent and stick with 'Pa-Cal'.

Sometimes it is difficult to know how to pronounce things in my internet based knife world :cool: